SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://am.ticketmaster.com/sundevils/virtual-venue/MjJIT0ZT

ASU season ticket sales look to be incredibly strong already... arena too small?  Very impressive.  Also, the ticketmaster "virtual venue" thing is amazing!  What does it take for the Ralph to get hooked up with something like that?  Or are we just not a big enough name for it to ever happen? (the virtual venue feature).

15 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I thought they should have made it around 6k with a upper bowl like Omaha and Duluth. 

ralph wanted 15k or so i think and people told him to downscale it...for the first 15 years that seemed like a huuuuge mistake but looking at the recent crowds even before covid 20 there were a lot of empty seats....

might have been a wise move bc if we would have 6k in a 15k arena...not good.

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

https://am.ticketmaster.com/sundevils/virtual-venue/MjJIT0ZT

ASU season ticket sales look to be incredibly strong already... arena too small?  Very impressive.  Also, the ticketmaster "virtual venue" thing is amazing!  What does it take for the Ralph to get hooked up with something like that?  Or are we just not a big enough name for it to ever happen? (the virtual venue feature).

when NCHC invite???????????????

So by the 23 -24 is going to have a slew of Independent programs

ASU, Alaska Anchorage(UAA), Alaska Fairbanks(UAF), Lindenwood, Augastana, and Alabama Huntsville(UAH) still has the funds for a program but won't resume hockey without a conference. So my main question, would these schools get together for an automatic conference bid? 

My assessment is that Lindenwood and Augustina might be the more difficult to get on board as this would make for a pretty far flung conference, however I don't see them getting in to either NCHC or CCHA anytime soon, NCHC wants to maintain competitive edge and the CCHA wants to both grow competitiveness and remain geographical ,coherent. The other school however are used to travel so I think at least as far as travel goes you could get the other four onboard.

ASU might be hesitant, I think the have an overinflated opinion of how good there program is, however a chance for an auto-bid would definitely be an inducement for them to swallow there pride and help start a new conference. It would likely be a Battle between ASU and UAF for the first few years until some of the other programs find there feet. If also might help both programs rise in the standings, and if ASU is in the post season more it might encourage other schools to add, who knows we may even see a 32 team National Tourney someday.

19 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So by the 23 -24 is going to have a slew of Independent programs

ASU, Alaska Anchorage(UAA), Alaska Fairbanks(UAF), Lindenwood, Augastana, and Alabama Huntsville(UAH) still has the funds for a program but won't resume hockey without a conference. So my main question, would these schools get together for an automatic conference bid? 

My assessment is that Lindenwood and Augustina might be the more difficult to get on board as this would make for a pretty far flung conference, however I don't see them getting in to either NCHC or CCHA anytime soon, NCHC wants to maintain competitive edge and the CCHA wants to both grow competitiveness and remain geographical ,coherent. The other school however are used to travel so I think at least as far as travel goes you could get the other four onboard.

ASU might be hesitant, I think the have an overinflated opinion of how good there program is, however a chance for an auto-bid would definitely be an inducement for them to swallow there pride and help start a new conference. It would likely be a Battle between ASU and UAF for the first few years until some of the other programs find there feet. If also might help both programs rise in the standings, and if ASU is in the post season more it might encourage other schools to add, who knows we may even see a 32 team National Tourney someday.

Highly unlikely, but UMKC was mentioned by CHN that they were looking into hockey.  If that happened, a new hypothetical conference could potentially include Augastana, UMKC, Lindenwood, Liberty, Robert Morris (they allowed back in Atlantic?), Alaskas, and LIU.  College hockey really needs a bottom rung startup conference if we want the sport to grow at all.  This could be the Mens side of a revived CHA, or perhaps there could be enough independent could be an option.

This conference could basically be a revived version of the Mens CHA, where I believe Lindenwood's womens team plays.

This isn't a prediction - just saying that the potential is there for a bunch of start ups to play together in a more southern focused leage.  Not mentioned is Tenn State, which had the NHL feasability study, which will tell them they dont have enough money.  But they would be centrally located in such a conference.  Austin Pea has a new rink as well, where I believe the club team will play.  Georgia is also building a new arena nearby.

Again, I don't predict this happens, but there is finally at least potential for a more South/South East focused college hockey leage.

UMKC, St. Louis, Nashville, Clarksville, Huntsvville, Athens, Lynchburg wouldn't be the worst confernce, in terms of geography, and it could be a viable options for schools in the South who could be interested in a D1 hockey if only there were a viable conference in the area.  This could include a school like FGCU or a Dallas or Raleigh area school.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Isn't Lindenwood supposed to field a team in the fall? Seems like they fell off the radar.

I think that was the plan but now Lindenwood seems to be planning to move the entire athletic department up to D1, as an invite to the OVC seems to be imminent.  I think they have an announcment this week.  If that is the case, ya gotta think hockey moves to the back burner?

11 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

REALLY?  What’s LIU’s secret?  Maybe Minnesota needs to call them and ask how to double their usual attendance at Mariucci.  

Uscho lists attendance with final scores

its interesting to check around the country 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

REALLY?  What’s LIU’s secret?  Maybe Minnesota needs to call them and ask how to double their usual attendance at Mariucci.  

Not true Mafia...Mariucci counts the players on the bench as paid spectators.;)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I think that was the plan but now Lindenwood seems to be planning to move the entire athletic department up to D1, as an invite to the OVC seems to be imminent.  I think they have an announcment this week.  If that is the case, ya gotta think hockey moves to the back burner?

Makes sense, hopefully the Blues keep rent cheap for them.

20 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Highly unlikely, but UMKC was mentioned by CHN that they were looking into hockey.  If that happened, a new hypothetical conference could potentially include Augastana, UMKC, Lindenwood, Liberty, Robert Morris (they allowed back in Atlantic?), Alaskas, and LIU.  College hockey really needs a bottom rung startup conference if we want the sport to grow at all.  This could be the Mens side of a revived CHA, or perhaps there could be enough independent could be an option.

This conference could basically be a revived version of the Mens CHA, where I believe Lindenwood's womens team plays.

One other route for startups would be to launch a non-scholarship Pioneer league structure.  Makes that part of it more affordable. 

Plus , Penn State could fill out their non- conf schedule. :lol:

On 2/20/2022 at 8:50 AM, Kab said:

LIU attendance yesterday against Alaska was 32

what conference needs that 

sunbelt teams will need a conference soon, nchc should stay the way it is

maybe I can see college hockey in Florida soon 

Not really a fair comparison, Not sure what the restrictions on in NY at the moment let alone in Long Island, also they are currently split between two facilities 30 miles away from there campus in Brooklyn and 17 Miles from there Campus in East Meadow. They need to get there Ice rink situation sorted out, but mandates likely aren't doing them a ton of favors.

• Upvote 1