SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

On 10/15/2021 at 7:07 PM, siouxfaninseattle said:

Just wondering. Do they have the talent to cover both programs? Do they have the equipment? Doesn't Alex live in Sioux Falls? I'm sure if he had the choice of a trip to GF versus staying in Sioux Falls he would prefer to sleep in his own bed. Really would like to hear people's thoughts on this topic,

Thinking about this, you realized that UND hockey is one of the top draws for Midco, right? Midco is not going to stop covering UND hockey for a startup Division I hockey team. I don't see UND getting a better offer than Midco either. 

17 hours ago, Goon said:

Thinking about this, you realized that UND hockey is one of the top draws for Midco, right? Midco is not going to stop covering UND hockey for a startup Division I hockey team. I don't see UND getting a better offer than Midco either. 

We could consider maybe about Bally sports North with Ben Holden doing the color commentating.......I think that would be worth some consideration.

18 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

We could consider maybe about Bally sports North with Ben Holden doing the color commentating.......I think that would be worth some consideration.

Not enough watchers for 

our ratings are probably top midco draw but unless it’s the free programming we got a few years from fan north it ain’t happening

2 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

While it sounds great in theory, I don't see it happening. No enough demand for it. MIDCO isn't going anywhere. 

2 hours ago, Goon said:

While it sounds great in theory, I don't see it happening. No enough demand for it. MIDCO isn't going anywhere. 

I'm not really concerned with the local provider, but I think the league is getting behind the times by not making their product available on ESPN+ to increase nationwide exposure.  NCHC.tv is fine for hardcore fans, but you aren't going to build the brand that way.

The games vs. Q were easily accessible.  I have to want to find NCHC action and have a dedicated subscription to see out of market games with today's arrangement.

53 minutes ago, dakotaKid92 said:

I'm not really concerned with the local provider, but I think the league is getting behind the times by not making their product available on ESPN+ to increase nationwide exposure.  NCHC.tv is fine for hardcore fans, but you aren't going to build the brand that way.

The games vs. Q were easily accessible.  I have to want to find NCHC action and have a dedicated subscription to see out of market games with today's arrangement.

Agreed. ESPN+ is THE streaming service for hockey, hopefully indefinitely. It's also got lots of college sports, so it truly is a no brainer.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Agreed. ESPN+ is THE streaming service for hockey, hopefully indefinitely. It's also got lots of college sports, so it truly is a no brainer.

I'd even be OK with Paramount+ if it got the CBS game streamed as well. That is a huge missing item from nchc.tv. $112 is also pretty steep and sidearm sports is awful.  

3 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I'd even be OK with Paramount+ if it got the CBS game streamed as well. That is a huge missing item from nchc.tv. $112 is also pretty steep and sidearm sports is awful.  

Concerning NCHC.tv, by now I expected parity in broadcast quality across all eight venues. But as it was in year one, so it (mostly) is today: games at the Ralph are nearly ESPN quality, and everyone else is behind. 

Probably the wrong thread, but I feel better getting that off my chest. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/25/2021 at 5:05 PM, dakotaKid92 said:

I agree 100 percent, I think that there are certain schools in year nine that still haven't improved the quality of their broadcasts. I think there needs to be a minimum standard. 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

"The Wildcats will be the primary tenant at the 3,000-seat facility, which is currently under construction."

3000 seats does not scream "moving to NCAA DI". :( 

Then again, what's Robson at CC hold? 3400. 

They needed the arena in Tuscon.

I'm sure they could find a way to work games around the Roadrunners for the big-name schools if they did move up.

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

More news on the Georgia Bulldogs arena

Why are all these bigger schools just now really starting to get into hockey? Is the sport just becoming more popular nationally or? Seems kind of like all at once with UNLV vs AA, ASU really taking a step forward, Wildcats, now fricken Georgia? Not complaining. Just think it’s odd? 

37 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Something to think about

woukd a kid want to play d1 Georgia and get paid $1 million to do it or play at und and maybe get $10k

nobody is getting paid 1 million to play hockey at georgia.  if anyone cared THAT much, they would already have a ncaa hockey program.

• Upvote 2