SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

37 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Yikes. Dollar Loan Center

Hopeful UNLV doesn't join just because that sponsorship is terrible but fits with Vegas life I suppose. 

Hopefully UNLV doesn't join (not really though) because that would be a perfect regional location every year.  Seriously.  Super easy and cheap for anyone in the country to fly in to vegas, and with all the flights, getting one on short notice would be easier than other locations.  With the new format, people can check out Vegas on the off day, and if their team loses, they still get to be in Vegas.  I think it would be well attended every year.  Could see the the type of person that goes to Vegas every year make it an annual trip.  That rink is sick.  I assume UNLV is staying at their current rink for the time being?  They haven't announced a move have they?

St. Thomas discussed potential arena plans at the Ford/Bridge site with Ryan Construction and the Highland Park District Council in February.  They seem to be pretty serious about this especially now that the golf course fell through.  The site would have hockey, softball, and a hockey-only arena.  Didn't see capacity mentioned anywhere though.  This meeting was in Feb, but I guess they mad their first presentation in January.  Nothing official - they are just evaluating the feasibility at this point.  Arena seems kinda small, like cc or smaller, just based on that pic.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nzvgx8_aU16gOOzimZa4gbPPmkJchN3K/edit  

image.thumb.png.89dc849b75bdd76673a4bf193185b167.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Hopefully UNLV doesn't join (not really though) because that would be a perfect regional location every year.  Seriously.  Super easy and cheap for anyone in the country to fly in to vegas, and with all the flights, getting one on short notice would be easier than other locations.  With the new format, people can check out Vegas on the off day, and if their team loses, they still get to be in Vegas.  I think it would be well attended every year.  Could see the the type of person that goes to Vegas every year make it an annual trip.  That rink is sick.  I assume UNLV is staying at their current rink for the time being?  They haven't announced a move have they?

They are still at the Golden Knights practice facility. Sounds like Orleans Arena is the one that they would use. 

Lindenwood moving up to play next year is another advantage they will have over Augustana. Think Augie may be missing a opportunity by waiting a extra year. There will be alot of players in the transfer portal and more available since the covid 5th year opened up more talent pool. They could've played out of the Premier Center for a year, or heck the Scheels Iceplex which is not a facility has more capacity then some college teams see at their home rinks. (Augie hasn't actually started building the rink, only moving buildings off the site).

Lindenwood will most likely use a mix of their current roster and transfers, and possibly convince some commits to switch to LU. They have a advantage by having a team and operations already, now have to handle the move from ACHA D1 to NCAA D1. 

What's next for Utica University hockey? | Daily Sentinel (romesentinel.com)

“Yes, (Utica has) expressed interest (in joining the conference),” Atlantic Hockey commissioner Bob DeGregorio said in a phone interview with the Sentinel. “There are a lot of things in play right now.” 

He said there have been “informal discussions” with Utica for “several months."

When Atlantic Hockey announced the conference tournament was going to be held in Utica back in December, DeGregorio noted the conference’s footprint for a reason to hold the tournament here. At that time, he noted the possibility of having the tournament there in 2023 as well. 

During that announcement at the Aud, there were handful of officials from Utica University in attendance. It was unclear then what the school’s role was in the event.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2022/03/31_Atlantic-Hockey-Votes-to-.php

Utica University’s plan is to move to NCAA DII then have the hockey team play NCAA DI.

Even more interesting is that Stonehill, NCAA DII, is in talks to join a NCAA DI conference, the DI Northeast Conference. If excepted they would build a new arena for hockey. 

13 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

The Arena Site claims the new arena will Seat 8,500, Hard to see them doing this unless the University of Georgia was looking to add Hockey.

New Classic Center Arena ice hockey photo

I think it is 5,500 for hockey. I agree not making this arena without the idea to add hockey

On 3/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, Blackheart said:

Is that better than Checks Cashed Here Arena?

I still for the life of me don't understand why they aren't looking at Orleans arena, Its got enough seating, hotel is attached to the property, and its closer to campus. the only thing they would likely want to do is get new board and Dashers, along with some other minor renovations to add UNLV branding.