SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Good breakdown the one thing I would be surprised with is if we only get 2 goals total from Olson and Simonson. I expect them to have a good chance to be in the lineup right away and while both aren't pure goal scorers they have scored they do have the ability to put the puck in the net.

That could very well be true, but if they are playing significant minutes that will take away minutes from some of the other players mentioned. I do think I was on the "optimistically cautious" side in my predictions though. I wouldn't be surprised if this team scores closer to 3.75-4.00 goals/game.

Colton will be a jr, not sr

I forgot that he got a redshirt. He was listed as a junior this season for USCHO. Thanks for the catch...although it doesn't really affect how I see his season going. I think he's a 5-10 goal guy this year, depending on minutes. However, given that he's most effective on the PK, I could see him struggle to reach the upper end of that range.

I forgot that he got a redshirt. He was listed as a junior this season for USCHO. Thanks for the catch...although it doesn't really affect how I see his season going. I think he's a 5-10 goal guy this year, depending on minutes. However, given that he's most effective on the PK, I could see him struggle to reach the upper end of that range.

Just needs a few shorties!

That could very well be true, but if they are playing significant minutes that will take away minutes from some of the other players mentioned. I do think I was on the "optimistically cautious" side in my predictions though. I wouldn't be surprised if this team scores closer to 3.75-4.00 goals/game.

I think your projections are pretty sound. What's always tough is predicting how injuries will make their impact. This year was fairly atypical, since the team didn't suffer too much other than when Mark and Parks were battling theirs.

However, 3.75-4.00 goals/game is a huge number. Not many teams are putting up those kind of numbers in today's college hockey landscape.

I think your projections are pretty sound. What's always tough is predicting how injuries will make their impact. This year was fairly atypical, since the team didn't suffer too much other than when Mark and Parks were battling theirs.

However, 3.75-4.00 goals/game is a huge number. Not many teams are putting up those kind of numbers in today's college hockey landscape.

Agreed. 4.00 is essentially what the 2010-2011 team did, and I don't think the offensive talent is really close to what that team had. I think somewhere between 3.50-3.75 is realistic, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got a bit more...especially if we have a couple of breakout seasons from Grimaldi, MacMillan, and Caggiula. I think all three have the talent to put up somewhere around 20-25 goals. So, while realistically I think we'll be more in the 3.50-3.75 range, I think if we get those sort of breakout seasons from a couple different guys, we could push 4.00.

Agree the freshies haven't piled up the points since Osh, Toewser, TZajac, Stafford (kinda) and Parise- who are obviously quite special...

Schmaltz is expected to be a first round pick...I am hanging my hope on him being a 40 point freshman based on similar draft stock as those guys.

Although Brock Nelson was too, and he did not score a ton as a freshman- sophomore year different story-

Gothberg, Parks, and Schmaltz have all confirmed they will return to UND next season looks like we are just waiting on Grimaldi's decision.

Of the 4 mentioned above, the only one I feel maybe could have made a jump was Schmaltz after this season...just because he is an immense talent.

Rocco is no Gerbe at this stage of his career...and how did things work out for Gerbe leaving early? Decent...but he just ended a one year 2 way deal with Carolina.

Ice level renovations at REA are underway...

• The new locker room will decrease in size and change from a rectangular shape to an oval shape. The classroom will be tiered, stadium-style seating. The lounge and dining area will be moved together — they used to be in different parts of the arena.
  • The lounge will have custom furniture, a gaming center and the always-popular ping pong table.
  • The coaches’ offices, which used to be at suite level, will be moved downstairs

“We’re trying to keep our facility both developmentally, as well as amenity-wise, the best in the nation. I think that’s what we have the opportunity to do. It’s about having a great home for our current players, our future players and our alums that come back during the summer and the year.” -- Hakstol
  • Upvote 1

One thing that really struck me from this article is how private money is being used. Probably the only public school in college hockey that does use private funds for these things.

Must be gfhockey's good ole boys donations.

• Upvote 2

You may not be directly funding it now, but you and the good ol' boys most certainly laid the foundation for this.

Absolutely...I remember hearing awhile back that the good ol' boys were not happy with the rectangular shaped dressing room....there were threats to pull donations....sounds like they got their way.
  • Upvote 1

2005 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2006 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2007 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2008 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2009 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2010 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2011 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2012 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2013 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2014 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

Everyone is talking around the real topic - what will it take to win number 8. If Union can do it ...

What do we have to do differently? - Where do we need to improve? What about that power play? Pretty good is getting old.

• Upvote 1

One thing that really struck me from this article is how private money is being used. Probably the only public school in college hockey that does use private funds for these things.

Could that "Private Money" just be profit from The Ralph being used - isn't that still a private entity or I a wrong? With all the alumni in the NHL I guess it would only take a couple of those guys tossing some money together to make it happen - lots of Sioux pride and tradition there. (Wonder if the adminstration makes them take off their Sioux jersey before they accept the checks).

Everyone is talking around the real topic - what will it take to win number 8. If Union can do it ...

What do we have to do differently? - Where do we need to improve? What about that power play? Pretty good is getting old.

I think we witnessed steps in the right direction from this past season. Solid goaltending & mobile puck-moving D-men were the overriding theme this year. The work ethic was there. Everyone knows we were short on high-end forward talent, and I think the PP suffered because of it; but with a talented group of freshmen and a good group of senior forwards next year could be pretty good.

Could that "Private Money" just be profit from The Ralph being used - isn't that still a private entity or I a wrong? With all the alumni in the NHL I guess it would only take a couple of those guys tossing some money together to make it happen - lots of Sioux pride and tradition there. (Wonder if the adminstration makes them take off their Sioux jersey before they accept the checks).

Not 100% positive, but my educated guess is that the REA has a reserve fund they build up for maintenance/improvements that they tap for projects like this among others. In that sense, it is "private" money as no funds from the state are being used. The building is still held in a non-profit entity which donates a chunk of money back to UND every year.

Absolutely...I remember hearing awhile back that the good ol' boys were not happy with the rectangular shaped dressing room....there were threats to pull donations....sounds like they got their way.

What's wrong with a rectangular-shaped dressing room?