SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

2005 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2006 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2007 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2008 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2009 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2010 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2011 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2012 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2013 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2014 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

Fun to speculate on lines...I keep Rocco and Schmaltz (younger) separate, because it is my belief that both are playmakers first and foremost- and similarly to sicatoka I believe in line chemistry with a finisher and a playmaker- i round out lines with bangers or speedsters whose roles are to create time and space for the other two either by flying up the ice or creating a net front or boards presence.

I think we lack some true finishers, but Parks, Jewels, Johnson and OD might be what we have...

Gaarder is clutch and can score- he's a little bit of everything

Pattyn is a banger with heart

Mac is a speedster who can create space for others and chip in offensively

If we put Schmaltz with Parks and Mac, we will have an elite playmaker alongside two older, accomplished players that can create space for him and work well together. Parks can bang home rebounds, Mac will stretch the D.

I always like Rocco and Jewels together- with an older Johnson, they could be good. Both Rocco and Jewels can do amazing things with the puck

Hopefully someone can step into that Frattin, Goren, Bochenski, Duncan role of finisher elite.

I'm in agreement that we will have a third line that nobody will want to play against

2005 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2006 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2007 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2008 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2009 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2010 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2011 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2012 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2013 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

2014 season preview....we will be awesome because we have xyz back and we are getting xyz recruits

Boy these were all great years, and the next yet to come!

Its easy to be a fan of this team, isn't it?

Haha agree....mattson isn't going to be he odd man out his senior year. Second most points from our dmen.

It seemed to me that Mattson occasionally fell down and had occasional risky "misses" but overall in the games I watched in the last month of the year I don't recall Mattson ever playing better. Agree he will be a regular and counted on heavily next year.

With seven main defensemen, usually injuries will ensure plenty of playing time for all. The group staying basically healthy all year, necessitating the lineup decision between Thompson and Ausmus, was unusual and will probably not be repeated next year.

A ton of talent coming back, but Simpson will be missed. He was not fleet of foot, but his hockey sense was outstanding. The last time I recall a college defenseman breaking up so many plays just by knowing they were coming was in Leopold's Hobey year. (Sorry for that, but it was frustrating at the time watching him deflect so many passes.) That's what Simpson did Thursday, get his stick in passing lanes just in the nick of time.

I don't watch as many games as many here do, but I don't remember Simpson ever playing better than in that last game. I thought he was dominant, and he's been very good all year. He was really leading the team by example and willing them to a victory that narrowly slipped from their grasp.

I see Chyzk and OD having productive years in '14-'15.

I thought OD was one of the best forwards at the end of the year. In the Ferris game he was the best forward in my opinion. Unlike nearly everyone else, he was aggressive, on his toes, and confident. I don't see either of those guys being healthy scratches.

You know how I feel bout Bryn. I think he has top 6 skills. Personal issue hopefully aside I expect a big jump in his production next season

#mancrush #daughtersaidneverusehashtagsagain

I like that kid too, he was in tears after his first weekend back after the suspension. Kind of puts it all in perspective. The players like being here and playing for UND.

Fun to speculate on lines...I keep Rocco and Schmaltz (younger) separate, because it is my belief that both are playmakers first and foremost- and similarly to sicatoka I believe in line chemistry with a finisher and a playmaker- i round out lines with bangers or speedsters whose roles are to create time and space for the other two either by flying up the ice or creating a net front or boards presence.

I think we lack some true finishers, but Parks, Jewels, Johnson and OD might be what we have...

Gaarder is clutch and can score- he's a little bit of everything

Pattyn is a banger with heart

Mac is a speedster who can create space for others and chip in offensively

If we put Schmaltz with Parks and Mac, we will have an elite playmaker alongside two older, accomplished players that can create space for him and work well together. Parks can bang home rebounds, Mac will stretch the D.

I always like Rocco and Jewels together- with an older Johnson, they could be good. Both Rocco and Jewels can do amazing things with the puck

Hopefully someone can step into that Frattin, Goren, Bochenski, Duncan role of finisher elite.

I'm in agreement that we will have a third line that nobody will want to play against

I agree....Nschmaltz with parks and Mac. Rocco, Jewels and Johnson. Gaarder, OD and Pattyn (all seniors, will be tough to play against). St. clair, chyzk and Simo. There is it Hak. Chyzk is the player I believe could take someone's spot, above.

Hoping something clicks with Murphy this offseason and he can become the impact player that it looked like earlier in his junior career. Sometimes sitting on the bench can push someone to work extra hard on their game. Let's hope that is the case with him.

Hoping something clicks with Murphy this offseason and he can become the impact player that it looked like earlier in his junior career. Sometimes sitting on the bench can push someone to work extra hard on their game. Let's hope that is the case with him.

I forgot about him...I too sure hope he figures it out. His numbers in juniors were nice....he may be more of the OD mold.

College Hockey News@chnews40m

early top 10 for 2014-15

1. Minnesota

2. N. Dakota

3. Michigan

4. BC

5. Miami

6. Providence

7. Union

8. Minnesota St.

9. Colgate

10. Maine

I know it is just a way too early poll but if the top 4 ended up in the frozen four how great would that be. Probably the 4 most storied programs in college hockey all in the same frozen four.

I forgot about him...I too sure hope he figures it out. His numbers in juniors were nice....he may be more of the OD mold.

In the first couple games at UND, I thought he showed offensive zone skills that would make him into a regular. Didn't happen. Hope he finds it next year.

I know it is just a way too early poll but if the top 4 ended up in the frozen four how great would that be. Probably the 4 most storied programs in college hockey all in the same frozen four.

Would rather have it be just North Dakota and not even have the potential of having to cheer for Boston College or Michigan to beat Minnesota. Last week took years off my life the way it was, without having to worry about it being duplicated next year, or even worse.

will this team struggle to score next year is the big question and be in a lot of 3-2, 2-1 games again? I ask this question because if everyone comes back that can are we putting too much of our hopes on a freshma(schmaltz) as we don't have a great track record recently of freshman putting up big numbers.

I know Wade a little, and my theory is that UND is the first place he has had to work hard to see success...nothing comes easy any more, and that can be a difficult adjustment. I am interested to see if he returns next year as a changed man.

I know Wade a little, and my theory is that UND is the first place he has had to work hard to see success...nothing comes easy any more, and that can be a difficult adjustment. I am interested to see if he returns next year as a changed man.

That's interesting. I used to joke that Dean Blais would never recruit the best player from any team; but, he'd recruit the second best player on every team. Why? That guy is used to having to work his tail off just to get noticed. And we know how that guy is going to react to adversity (namely, work harder).

• Upvote 1

will this team struggle to score next year is the big question and be in a lot of 3-2, 2-1 games again? I ask this question because if everyone comes back that can are we putting too much of our hopes on a freshma(schmaltz) as we don't have a great track record recently of freshman putting up big numbers.

It's a fair question. Assuming we don't lose anyone early (big assumption right now) we don't lose that much in scoring (13g-23a-36p). Of course, we also weren't scoring a ton this year (3.02 goals/game). To be a dominant team, you generally have to have a goal differential around +1.5-2.0. This year we gave up 2.43 goals, but given the progression of our defense, and Gothberg playing better, that number should creep down towards 2.00. So, can we get to 3.5-3.75 goals/game next season? To do so would require about 145-160 goals (based on a 42 game season). This year, we scored 127. Take away the 13 goals lost, and we have 114 coming back. So, how are we going to score those extra 30-45 goals?

THE SOURCES

First, I don't expect our blueline to do much more than they did this season. They were the #1 offensive group in the country, and it probably isn't fair to expect much more out of them. With progression, perhaps Simpson's 7 goals can be replaced. So from our entire blueline, I'll add 7 goals to the mix.

Incoming Freshman - From what I've read and seen, N. Schmaltz is more of a playmaker like Rocco. That doesn't mean that he can't score goals, but to expect anything big from him would probably be unrealistic. I think 10g-20a-30p would be a great season from him, so I'll add 10 goals from Schmaltz. The rest of the incoming group probably won't get that much play time, so I'll throw in another 2 goals to get to 12 goals from the incoming freshman. Anything above that would be great...anything below that would be somewhat disappointing.

Senior Class:

- Michael Parks - Went 12g-18a-30p this past season, and I am looking for him to step up similar to what Brad Malone did his senior year and put up something along the lines of 15 goals.

- Mark MacMillan - Went 10g-16a-26p this past season. I think he's the one most capable of significantly improving his goal numbers next season, but I still wouldn't expect much more than 15 goals out of him either, although I think he has the ability to get to 20.

- Brendan O'Donnell - Went 7g-11a-18p this past season. He reminds me a lot of Kozek in his scoring ability (not so much his shot), so I wouldn't be surprised if he doubled his production. That being said, he look likely to be a third or fourth line guy, and to expect anything more than 10 from that position is probably unrealistic. I'll go with 10.

- Connor Gaarder - Went 9g-8a-17p this past season. I loved what he did in the clutch this year, but I really don't expect any more scoring than this past season. I'll stick with 9.

- Steph Pattyn - 7g-9a-16p this past season. If he gets more powerplay time, I could see him upping his goal scoring totals, but probably not astronomically. I'll put him down for 10 as well.

- Colton St. Clair - 3g-2a-5p this past season. I think St. Clair has the ability to put up numbers similar to Gaarder and Pattyn, so I think 7 goals is realistic, and I wouldn't be surprised by anywhere from 5-10.

- Andrew Panzarella - 1g-1a-2p this past season. He showed flashes of great play towards the end of the season, but I just don't trust him to put up significantly better numbers. I think he's probably good for 2-3 goals, but anything more would be unrealistic.

Senior Class Overall: This past season 49g-65a-114p. Goal expectations for next season 68 goals (+19)

Junior Class:

- Rocco Grimaldi - 17g-22a-39p this past season. While Grimaldi has all the talent in the world, I don't see him scoring much more. I think he pushes 20, but won't go any further than that.

- Drake Caggiula - 11g-13a-24p this past season. I could see Caggiula improving significantly. While I don't think he gets 20, I think 15 is very realistic. With his shot, I could see him being a 25 goal guy by his senior...just not next season.

- Bryn Chyzyk - 4g-5a-9p this past season. Similar to St. Clair, I think Chyzyk could push 8-10 goals this season. For a realistic guess, I'll go with the low side of 7.

Junior Class Overall: This past season 32g-40a-72p. Goal expectations for next season 42 goals (+10)

Sophomore Class:

- Luke Johnson - 8g-13a-21p this past season. I see Johnson continuing to improve. He has a very good shot, but just misfired too often to be a double-digit guy this season. I don't expect him to put up mindboggling numbers, but I do expect 10-12 goals from him next year. I'll go with the low end of 10.

- Wade Murphy - 0g-3a-3p this past season. He has the talent, but just needs to work harder. I don't expect him to put up tremendous numbers given that he's likely to share playing time, but I think 2 goals is a realistic expectation from him.

Sophomore Class Overall: This past season 8g-16a-24p. Goal expectations for next season 12 goals (+4)

So, we have a +19 from our Senior Forwards, +10 from our Junior Forwards, +4 from our Sophomore Forwards, +12 from incoming Freshman, and a +7 from our blueline. That equals a +52, but subtract the 13 goals we lose from Seniors, and that gives us a +39 for a projected total of 153 goals. Over 42 games, that's 3.64 goals/game.

So, to answer your question, I think this team will not have too many issues scoring, and should be better on defense. My guess is that we'll see more 4 goal performances than 3 goal ones, but 3 goals should still equate to a victory. Needless to say, I'm pretty optimistic that this team can push 30 wins next season, get to the Frozen Four, and have a good chance at winning #8.

It's a fair question. Assuming we don't lose anyone early (big assumption right now) we don't lose that much in scoring (13g-23a-36p). Of course, we also weren't scoring a ton this year (3.02 goals/game). To be a dominant team, you generally have to have a goal differential around +1.5-2.0. This year we gave up 2.43 goals, but given the progression of our defense, and Gothberg playing better, that number should creep down towards 2.00. So, can we get to 3.5-3.75 goals/game next season? To do so would require about 145-160 goals (based on a 42 game season). This year, we scored 127. Take away the 13 goals lost, and we have 114 coming back. So, how are we going to score those extra 30-45 goals?

THE SOURCES

First, I don't expect our blueline to do much more than they did this season. They were the #1 offensive group in the country, and it probably isn't fair to expect much more out of them. With progression, perhaps Simpson's 7 goals can be replaced. So from our entire blueline, I'll add 7 goals to the mix.

Incoming Freshman - From what I've read and seen, N. Schmaltz is more of a playmaker like Rocco. That doesn't mean that he can't score goals, but to expect anything big from him would probably be unrealistic. I think 10g-20a-30p would be a great season from him, so I'll add 10 goals from Schmaltz. The rest of the incoming group probably won't get that much play time, so I'll throw in another 2 goals to get to 12 goals from the incoming freshman. Anything above that would be great...anything below that would be somewhat disappointing.

Senior Class:

- Michael Parks - Went 12g-18a-30p this past season, and I am looking for him to step up similar to what Brad Malone did his senior year and put up something along the lines of 15 goals.

- Mark MacMillan - Went 10g-16a-26p this past season. I think he's the one most capable of significantly improving his goal numbers next season, but I still wouldn't expect much more than 15 goals out of him either, although I think he has the ability to get to 20.

- Brendan O'Donnell - Went 7g-11a-18p this past season. He reminds me a lot of Kozek in his scoring ability (not so much his shot), so I wouldn't be surprised if he doubled his production. That being said, he look likely to be a third or fourth line guy, and to expect anything more than 10 from that position is probably unrealistic. I'll go with 10.

- Connor Gaarder - Went 9g-8a-17p this past season. I loved what he did in the clutch this year, but I really don't expect any more scoring than this past season. I'll stick with 9.

- Steph Pattyn - 7g-9a-16p this past season. If he gets more powerplay time, I could see him upping his goal scoring totals, but probably not astronomically. I'll put him down for 10 as well.

- Colton St. Clair - 3g-2a-5p this past season. I think St. Clair has the ability to put up numbers similar to Gaarder and Pattyn, so I think 7 goals is realistic, and I wouldn't be surprised by anywhere from 5-10.

- Andrew Panzarella - 1g-1a-2p this past season. He showed flashes of great play towards the end of the season, but I just don't trust him to put up significantly better numbers. I think he's probably good for 2-3 goals, but anything more would be unrealistic.

Senior Class Overall: This past season 49g-65a-114p. Goal expectations for next season 68 goals (+19)

Junior Class:

- Rocco Grimaldi - 17g-22a-39p this past season. While Grimaldi has all the talent in the world, I don't see him scoring much more. I think he pushes 20, but won't go any further than that.

- Drake Caggiula - 11g-13a-24p this past season. I could see Caggiula improving significantly. While I don't think he gets 20, I think 15 is very realistic. With his shot, I could see him being a 25 goal guy by his senior...just not next season.

- Bryn Chyzyk - 4g-5a-9p this past season. Similar to St. Clair, I think Chyzyk could push 8-10 goals this season. For a realistic guess, I'll go with the low side of 7.

Junior Class Overall: This past season 32g-40a-72p. Goal expectations for next season 42 goals (+10)

Sophomore Class:

- Luke Johnson - 8g-13a-21p this past season. I see Johnson continuing to improve. He has a very good shot, but just misfired too often to be a double-digit guy this season. I don't expect him to put up mindboggling numbers, but I do expect 10-12 goals from him next year. I'll go with the low end of 10.

- Wade Murphy - 0g-3a-3p this past season. He has the talent, but just needs to work harder. I don't expect him to put up tremendous numbers given that he's likely to share playing time, but I think 2 goals is a realistic expectation from him.

Sophomore Class Overall: This past season 8g-16a-24p. Goal expectations for next season 12 goals (+4)

So, we have a +19 from our Senior Forwards, +10 from our Junior Forwards, +4 from our Sophomore Forwards, +12 from incoming Freshman, and a +7 from our blueline. That equals a +52, but subtract the 13 goals we lose from Seniors, and that gives us a +39 for a projected total of 153 goals. Over 42 games, that's 3.64 goals/game.

So, to answer your question, I think this team will not have too many issues scoring, and should be better on defense. My guess is that we'll see more 4 goal performances than 3 goal ones, but 3 goals should still equate to a victory. Needless to say, I'm pretty optimistic that this team can push 30 wins next season, get to the Frozen Four, and have a good chance at winning #8.

Good breakdown the one thing I would be surprised with is if we only get 2 goals total from Olson and Simonson. I expect them to have a good chance to be in the lineup right away and while both aren't pure goal scorers they have scored they do have the ability to put the puck in the net.