SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I think the Sioux tribes should sue the Chippewea & Leigh Jeanotte for removing their name from current daily use.  Then UND could politely say "Nope, not going down that road again"....   I loved the Sioux name an miss it, but after DAPL and all the political BS that is going on my position is put it in the past.

4 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I think the Sioux tribes should sue the Chippewea & Leigh Jeanotte for removing their name from current daily use.  Then UND could politely say "Nope, not going down that road again"....   I loved the Sioux name an miss it, but after DAPL and all the political BS that is going on my position is put it in the past.

Jeanotte....... easily one of the most pathetic/miserable individuals to ever work for UND.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jeanotte....... easily one of the most pathetic/miserable individuals to ever work for UND.

Agreed, but many on campus would approve of a statue in his honor. I would donate for some pigeons if that happened.

• 3 months later...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/editorials/4632797-Our-view-A-chasm-of-debate-on-mascot-harm

Nickname and mascot debates are nothing new in the northern Red River Valley. Here in Grand Forks, the transition of the UND sports teams from Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks came with no little controversy, angst and anger.

Herald gonna Herald.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:56 AM, UNDBIZ said:

"To us, the trouble lies with words like Indians, Redskins and Redmen. Or Midgets, which was in use in McLaughlin, S.D., until 2015 and still is being used in Dickinson, N.D."

This is my wife's high school mascot, The Freeburg Midgets (IL)

559db117b83d5.image.jpg

8 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

"To us, the trouble lies with words like Indians, Redskins and Redmen. Or Midgets, which was in use in McLaughlin, S.D., until 2015 and still is being used in Dickinson, N.D."

This is my wife's high school mascot, The Freeburg Midgets (IL)

559db117b83d5.image.jpg

He looks like a character from Mike Tyson’s Punch Out.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have a friend who attended the game in Fargo last weekend...several times throughout the game he heard the Bizzon 'droolers' let out the chant 'Sioux suck !@#$'...not original and speaks to a certain mentality.....however it highlights the reason 'Indian nicknames' were deemed offensive.....it's one thing to shout "Jackrabbits suck !@#$' or 'Cyclones suck !@#$'...but this is not only taking a shot at a University logo but a group of human beings.....Hope the 'Siousie sniffers' see the difference...

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, John W. said:

Have a friend who attended the game in Fargo last weekend...several times throughout the game he heard the Bizzon 'droolers' let out the chant 'Sioux suck !@#$'...not original and speaks to a certain mentality.....however it highlights the reason 'Indian nicknames' were deemed offensive.....it's one thing to shout "Jackrabbits suck !@#$' or 'Cyclones suck !@#$'...but this is not only taking a shot at a University logo but a group of human beings.....Hope the 'Siousie sniffers' see the difference...

Ah, the irony of John W.... thanks for the chuckle J Dubs!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, John W. said:

And there are Bizon trolls as season tickets holders in denial, use the excuse - can't hear it = doesn't happen. Forest Mentality.
But, they get their shorts all bunched up in a knot when they see a sign to play hockey? Droolers!

The majority of Native Americans approve of the logos. The only ones offended are a small minority of native Americans who are outnumbered by the white people who are offended. With all that Native Americans go through everyday hearing a crude chant is the least of their worries.

• Upvote 2

Thought it 'way beyond your level of sensibilities'...given your blog handle....that ol'  moniker will pass just like the first UND nick name....will fade and become a piece of trivia....

My point, which sailed way over your head, was that in regard to the Sioux suck chant, you said  “this is not only taking a shot at a university logo but also a group of human beings.”

And yet, in the same sentence even, you use your term “ Siousie sniffers.”   

Isn’t it interesting how you are able to differentiate between the Sioux suck chant- which You deem to be derogatory towards the Sioux people, yet in your mind your constant use of the word Siousies is evidently not derogatory towards them?   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

My point, which sailed way over your head, was that in regard to the Sioux suck chant, you said  “this is not only taking a shot at a university logo but also a group of human beings.”

Isn’t it interesting how you are able to differentiate between the Sioux suck chant- which You deem to be derogatory towards the Sioux people, yet in your mind your constant use of the word Siousies is evidently not derogatory towards them?   

Can't wait for his logic getting called out on this.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I think I can say with certainty that the chant in no way was directed at the people of the Sioux Nation.  It was soley directed at UND and those that continue to embrace the Sioux nick name.

To think otherwise is nothing more than mental gymnastics.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bison73 said:

I think I can say with certainty that the chant in no way was directed at the people of the Sioux Nation.  It was soley directed at UND and those that continue to embrace the Sioux nick name.

A fraction of the Dakota people oppose the Sioux nickname.  Any of the Bizon fans that still use it are beyond ignorant.

To think otherwise is having your head up your posterior.

Love to read your statistics...as to % of  Native Americans who approve of  old. nick name....I'll wager most of you who still embrace the Si**x name are 'white' ....can't get beyond your own ignorance of cultures.....I have a son in law who's NA, one d'in law Latina and  one d'in law Philipino....most racism, some subtle-some not, goes completely over the heads of 'whites'....my kids' spouses have certainly enlightened me..

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

I agree.  Anyone with a functioning brain can differentiate between cheers/jeers directed at an opponents’ school vs directed personally at a group of people. 

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Love to read your statistics...as to % of  Native Americans who approve of  old. nick name....I'll wager most of you who still embrace the Si**x name are 'white' ....can't get beyond your own ignorance of cultures.....I have a son in law who's NA, one d'in law Latina and  one d'in law Philipino....most racism, some subtle-some not, goes completely over the heads of 'whites'....my kids' spouses have certainly enlightened me..

Well, 67% of Spirit Lake members (who chose to vote on the issue) were in favor.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/2096916-spirit-lake-voters-overwhelmingly-support-fighting-sioux-nickname

• Upvote 1

The numbers I have seen from polling put it at around 70-75% of Native Americans on the North Dakota Reservations who approved of the name. But to be fair, if 25-30% are truly offended by the name than that number is too high to go forward. This is not a case of majority rules

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

I think I can say with certainty that the chant in no way was directed at the people of the Sioux Nation.  It was soley directed at UND 

agree to a point. fyp

Most Bison fans aren't as nuanced as the rest of your post makes them out to be.

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

Bison fans have been saying that chant for decades so quit trying to pin it on our fans that have not ditched the Sioux name yet. 

• Upvote 1