SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

14 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Ok. Now it’s getting ridiculous!!

Students at George Washington University start petition to remove ‘offensive’ Colonials mascot

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/05/06/students-at-george-washington-university-start-petition-to-remove-offensive-colonials-mascot

Today's sign that the apocalypse is near.

14 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Ok. Now it’s getting ridiculous!!

Students at George Washington University start petition to remove ‘offensive’ Colonials mascot

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/05/06/students-at-george-washington-university-start-petition-to-remove-offensive-colonials-mascot

This comment on the link caught my attention. 

The enrollment at GWU was over 27,000 last year with students from 117 countries. How did 200 people get so much power? How did they get the moral authority to say this was a bad choice for a mascot? If the Pope complained or Franklin Graham had complained, they would have told them to buzz off. What did they do in life to rate such a high admiration that their opinion carries that much weight? There are probably 200 people out of 27,000 who thinks that there should be no sex before marriage.

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

The enrollment at GWU was over 27,000 last year with students from 117 countries. How did 200 people get so much power? How did they get the moral authority to say this was a bad choice for a mascot? If the Pope complained or Franklin Graham had complained, they would have told them to buzz off. What did they do in life to rate such a high admiration that their opinion carries that much weight? There are probably 200 people out of 27,000 who thinks that there should be no sex before marriage.

That quote sounds so familiar. So GW’s nickname will be gone really soon if you look at history of nicknames.

Just now, darell1976 said:

That quote sounds so familiar. So GW’s nickname will be gone really soon if you look at history of nicknames.

Seems like we have seen this before. Kind of started out like this. Right, wrong or indifferent. We now have a right to not be offended. 

2 hours ago, Goon said:

200, that’s ten times the number that UND had opposed when this it started.

Hopefully Administration at GW can learn from UNDs mistakes and either quash this immediately or just change ce tomorrow and save millions on the process.

unfortunately as is the case in a lot of these situations, the “student” group is just a front for the batcrap crazy admins.

I predict a panel a committee, 8 million dollars down the drain and soon to be joining Denver In changing their name to some abstract concept ..... “Now welcome to the field your GW Inclusion  for today’s mutually friendly unscored  match with the Denver University Climate”

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That is the best argument you can make against it (the PC angle). 

It's always been one of my main arguments.  Along with it being an award.  And a sucky name. 

But I couldn't care less if other area schools had the name.  

• 4 months later...

I can't decide if the NCAA is being gracious with this tweet, or flat out trolling UND.  Either the name and logo are bad, or they aren't.  If Sioux was so "abusive" that it had to go, why is it okay for the NCAA to dredge it up for so frivolous a reason?  It's not like nobody ever gets offended by something they see on Twitter.

1679649123_ScreenShot2018-09-26at8_57_49AM.thumb.png.9187d9e1c30a98752737cc0d10069528.png

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I can't decide if the NCAA is being gracious with this tweet, or flat out trolling UND.  Either the name and logo are bad, or they aren't.  If Sioux was so "abusive" that it had to go, why is it okay for the NCAA to dredge it up for so frivolous a reason?  It's not like nobody ever gets offended by something they see on Twitter.

1679649123_ScreenShot2018-09-26at8_57_49AM.thumb.png.9187d9e1c30a98752737cc0d10069528.png

Do you know anyone better that wore #11? They picked him because of his jersey number.

1 minute ago, the green team said:

You are probably right but I  will at least submit these 3 names for argument sake...Mark Taylor?, Dixon Ward?, Teeder Wynne?

Loved watching Parise but would have to lean toward Taylor and Ward for #11 honors.

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Blackheart said:

Loved watching Parise but would have to lean toward Taylor and Ward for #11 honors.

Watched lots of college over the years.....pretty hard to find a handful of guys better than Dixon at this level.

11 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Obviously not an Indian nickname, but a mascot complaint nonetheless.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/peta-calls-georgia-texas-retire-live-mascots-sugar-bowl-incident-021437371.html

I showed solidarity and support for petA's position by having a dinner meeting with a representative panel of Beva's peers tonight.

I now feel i can taste the essence of the freedom and searing sense of enjoyment Bevo could look forward to in retirement.  That type of seperation from his previous shacklement is truly a rare... or possibly medium rare experience. 

I hail the options this Peta people have brought forward with a celebration of montreal seasoning confetti in conjunction with liberated potatos carrots and celerery awash in a celebration of butter and onion seasoning in a melting pot of delicious unity.

• 3 months later...