Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news


jimdahl
 Share

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

“Cliff Van Leuven, TSA's Federal Security Director for Minnesota, spoke with Houska and apologized for the agent's actions and "insensitive" comment, according to the statement. In an email to TSA employees at the airport, Van Leuven confirmed the incident happened exactly as described by Houska.”

From an article about the incident posted on CNN. 

I’ll walk back my earlier comments.  Ms. Houska deserves an apology.  

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why wouldn't TSA fire this person? 

couldn't that person just turned around and told the offender not to do that...that that is not nice to do and pulling someone's hair isn't a nice thing to do at that moment?  instead of tweeting and putting on social media and then saying "i don't want the person fired"...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

couldn't that person just turned around and told the offender not to do that...that that is not nice to do and pulling someone's hair isn't a nice thing to do at that moment?  instead of tweeting and putting on social media and then saying "i don't want the person fired"...

You must have missed the part where the lady was listed as an "activist". 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2020 at 5:58 PM, Siouxphan27 said:

Shouldn’t it be the white man who would be offended by such odd behavior if someone grabbed their hair and treated  it like reins?   Since horses were brought to North America by the white man in the 1500s?

audacity temp mail origin

Or is my logic hampering my ability to see things from the viewpoint of the perpetually offended?

Why would that be "honoring" them and not derogatory to use them as a moniker for a pro football team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2020 at 11:50 AM, UNDfaninMICH said:

“Cliff Van Leuven, TSA's Federal Security Director for Minnesota, spoke with Houska and apologized for the agent's actions and "insensitive" comment, according to the statement. In an email to TSA employees at the airport, Van Leuven confirmed the incident happened exactly as described by Houska.”

From an article about the incident posted on CNN. 

CNN. Hmm. Story rings true but would ask for a more reliable source.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

They are union employees, and can only be terminated for "just cause".   

Ah, got it. So, that actually confuses me a bit. Would that increase the likelihood that this happened or decrease, in your opinion? Honest question.

My take, and I have no idea how unions work in full, that if this actually happened, the dude would get fired. Without question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ah, got it. So, that actually confuses me a bit. Would that increase the likelihood that this happened or decrease, in your opinion? Honest question.

My take, and I have no idea how unions work in full, that if this actually happened, the dude would get fired. Without question.

I'm with you.  I think it muddies the water in terms of terminating this individual.  Seems like just cause but who knows?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

 Was the agent a white guy?

Appears to have been a female...

“The agent said she needed to pat down my braids,” tweeted Tara Houska, an indigenous rights advocate and attorney. “She pulled them behind my shoulders, laughed and said ‘giddyup!’ as she snapped my braids like reins. My hair is part of my spirit. I am a Native woman. I am angry, humiliated. Your ‘fun’ hurt.”

Houska, who is Ojibwe, added: “When I informed the middle-aged blonde woman who had casually used her authority to dehumanize and disrespect me, she said, ‘Well it was just in fun, I’m sorry. Your hair is lovely.’

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Appears to have been a female...

“The agent said she needed to pat down my braids,” tweeted Tara Houska, an indigenous rights advocate and attorney. “She pulled them behind my shoulders, laughed and said ‘giddyup!’ as she snapped my braids like reins. My hair is part of my spirit. I am a Native woman. I am angry, humiliated. Your ‘fun’ hurt.”

Houska, who is Ojibwe, added: “When I informed the middle-aged blonde woman who had casually used her authority to dehumanize and disrespect me, she said, ‘Well it was just in fun, I’m sorry. Your hair is lovely.’

Yes, let's make sure to identify the hair color of the woman (to make sure everyone know's she's white) for maximum effect.  Would she have said, "raven-haired woman" had that been the case?  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yes, let's make sure to identify the hair color of the woman (to make sure everyone know's she's white) for maximum effect.  Would she have wanted to say "raven-haired woman" had that been the case?  

Only if her last name is Seymone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Yes, let's make sure to identify the hair color of the woman (to make sure everyone know's she's white) for maximum effect.  Would she have said, "raven-haired woman" had that been the case?  

She assumed her race?

Paging Rachel Dolezal and Shaun King

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...