SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

6 hours ago, Siouxperkick said:

It wasn't really ever chosen from a list of names, but was adopted naturally over time. From what I recall, a radio announcer back in the day was working a DHS vs Minot HS football game. Minot's team was substantially bigger than DHS, who didn't have a nickname at the time. The announcer said something along the lines of "Minot's team makes Dickinson look like a team of midgets" and Dickinson upset them. They were known for a while as the Mighty Midgets, then became the Midgets. These were before the politically correct days, of course.

Dickinson was the Coyotes at the time.  But the midget name caught on and they gradually changed over to the Mighty Midgets.  

On 12/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, Blackheart said:

Hello, New York Giants? Tall Clubs International on line 2 for you.;)

Democrat Representative Hank Johnson clears up the giants vs midgets debate- as only he can- a few years ago from the House floor:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hank+johnson+midgets&view=detail&mid=1F0977056EEBF64180591F0977056EEBF6418059&FORM=VIRE

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Democrat Representative Hank Johnson clears up the giants vs midgets debate- as only he can- a few years ago from the House floor:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hank+johnson+midgets&view=detail&mid=1F0977056EEBF64180591F0977056EEBF6418059&FORM=VIRE

He should stick to worrying about too many people on the island of Guam causing it to list and capsize.

Google it. 

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

This issue is a strange fit for popular elections; the vocally offended are almost always going to be in the minority.  The anonymity of the ballot box makes it incredibly easy for people to vote their conscience (PC be damned) and I think we all know how over broad prohibitions based solely on one view of social injustice/inequality will fare.

Kind of makes one wonder...how would the NCAA's policy - enacted broadly (can't remember if unanimous) by the Association's members - have fared in a popular vote in ANY of the individual jurisdictions where the voting members resided?  Is there a single state, city, county, or precinct that would have supported it?  Even in 'liberal' college towns?

6 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This issue is a strange fit for popular elections; the vocally offended are almost always going to be in the minority.  The anonymity of the ballot box makes it incredibly easy for people to vote their conscience (PC be damned) and I think we all know how over broad prohibitions based solely on one view of social injustice/inequality will fare.

Kind of makes one wonder...how would the NCAA's policy - enacted broadly (can't remember if unanimous) by the Association's members - have fared in a popular vote in ANY of the individual jurisdictions where the voting members resided?  Is there a single state, city, county, or precinct that would have supported it?  Even in 'liberal' college towns?

Depends on whether "ballot harvesting" is allowed.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:03 PM, Blackheart said:

Seems Tara Houska had an interesting trip home from this adventure. 

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/01/14/tribal-activist-says-she-was-humiliated-at-msp-when-tsa-agent-played-with-her-braids/ 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Shouldn’t it be the white man who would be offended by such odd behavior if someone grabbed their hair and treated  it like reins?   Since horses were brought to North America by the white man in the 1500s?

Or is my logic hampering my ability to see things from the viewpoint of the perpetually offended?

On 5/1/2013 at 2:43 AM, DLap2 said:

I don't live in North Dakota so I am quite out of touch with the nickname ordeal. Is there any chance that the nickname will ever return?

If we look at the Fighting Sioux name - it was used to honor Native Americans, however we were told that it was derogatory to Native Americans by using their name as a school's moniker. David Grosso suggests to use the "Redtails" to honor the Tuskegee Airmen. Why would that be "honoring" them and not derogatory to use them as a moniker for a pro football team?

On 1/15/2020 at 8:52 AM, The Sicatoka said:

if true, that agent should be fired. you don't do that to anyone, man or woman, no matter what their skin color.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'll take "Things that didn't happen" for 500 please, Alex.

Are you sure about that?  I was at the airport this weekend and my 5 year old looked up at me and said, "dad, if we didn't fly around the world, we could help reduce our own carbon footprint, save the rain forest, AND fire racist TSA agents all at once.  And then President Sanders could sign an executive order providing free healthcare AND unicorns to all kids under the age of 10."  He is so smart!  I believe Tara Houska.  :lol:

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Are you sure about that?  I was at the airport this weekend and my 5 year old looked up at me and said, "dad, if we didn't fly around the world, we could help reduce our own carbon footprint, save the rain forest, AND fire racist TSA agents all at once.  And then President Sanders could sign an executive order providing free healthcare AND unicorns to all kids under the age of 10."  He is so smart!  I believe Tara Houska.  :lol:

Surely the TSA agent will be fired when the CC footage comes out and spread out on Twitter like a wildfire, right? AMIRITE?!

21 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Oh, SURELY the video exists and we have actual evidence of this blatant misuse of power!

Can't wait!

Just to clarify, if it is true, that dude is a POS and deserves to be fired. However, there is a 0.0% chance he didn't get fired if it actually happened. Has he been fired yet?

38 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Assburgers is a bitch.  

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'll take "Things that didn't happen" for 500 please, Alex.

“Cliff Van Leuven, TSA's Federal Security Director for Minnesota, spoke with Houska and apologized for the agent's actions and "insensitive" comment, according to the statement. In an email to TSA employees at the airport, Van Leuven confirmed the incident happened exactly as described by Houska.”

From an article about the incident posted on CNN. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

The bigger issue is kids are going to want the Greta "school schedule" before long.

....and when did John Cusack become a complete d**chebag??

40 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

“Cliff Van Leuven, TSA's Federal Security Director for Minnesota, spoke with Houska and apologized for the agent's actions and "insensitive" comment, according to the statement. In an email to TSA employees at the airport, Van Leuven confirmed the incident happened exactly as described by Houska.”

From an article about the incident posted on CNN. 

Again, if it's true, then this guy is a POS. But, I am very, very skeptical that he isn't fired. 

Especially in today's outrage culture, I would like to know how he's still employed.