SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

6 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Didn't know if I wanted to start a new thread on this particular issue but the Dakota Student got some blowback on their April Fools Day article

http://www.wdaz.com/news/4426182-students-say-april-fools-day-article-reignites-sioux-logo-controversy

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/editorials/4426730-our-view-standing-beside-und-newspaper-over-joke-story

Tripled Mark Kennedy's approval rating from 3 to 9%.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

No.

The article was geared toward anyone with a sense of humor.

Imagine if Chuck Klosterman had been writing for the Dakota Student today as opposed to 20 years ago. Today's snowflakes wouldn't know how to deal with his hard hitting humor. After Kirk Cobain committed suicide, Klosterman wrote in the Dakota Student, "Nice Aim." One of my friends at the time was horrified. I just laughed. In my humble opinion, we've lost our sense of humor. I thought the article in question was funny, unless you're easily offended. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

If you are offended by the Dakota Student article, you are probably offended that the University changed the name in the first place, even though there were irrefutable consequences to keeping it.  Yes, this article was a joke.  But it reminds us all that there are those out there that are clinging on to a glimmer of hope that the Sioux name would come back.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If you are offended by the Dakota Student article, you are probably offended that the University changed the name in the first place, even though there were irrefutable consequences to keeping it.  Yes, this article was a joke.  But it reminds us all that there are those out there that are clinging on to a glimmer of hope that the Sioux name would come back.  

THIS^^^^^^

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

You do know that article is geared to those at the REA. They scream Fighting Sioux Forever louder than anyone, and any glimpse of hope of a return of the Sioux name and logo is going to give them a warm, fuzzy, feeling inside. As Biff would say, "don't be so gullible McFly".

So what feeling did you have inside, Darrell? :)

8 hours ago, Goon said:

Imagine if Chuck Klosterman had been writing for the Dakota Student today as opposed to 20 years ago. Today's snowflakes wouldn't know how to deal with his hard hitting humor. After Kirk Cobain committed suicide, Klosterman wrote in the Dakota Student, "Nice Aim." One of my friends at the time was horrified. I just laughed. In my humble opinion, we've lost our sense of humor. I thought the article in question was funny, unless you're easily offended. 

Who is Cluck Khosterman?

On 4/4/2018 at 8:44 AM, SWSiouxMN said:

Didn't know if I wanted to start a new thread on this particular issue but the Dakota Student got some blowback on their April Fools Day article

http://www.wdaz.com/news/4426182-students-say-april-fools-day-article-reignites-sioux-logo-controversy

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/editorials/4426730-our-view-standing-beside-und-newspaper-over-joke-story

It was a freaking joke. People need to lighten up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Any truth to the rumor that Kennedy has authorized safe spaces, counseling, and cuddle puppies for any students traumatized by this hate speech?

They might be still in place from when the ROTC was doing drills on campus a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, runaroundsioux said:

There are no Illini tribes any longer. Hasn't been since 1830. The NCAA allowed Illinois to keep the name as it is part of the state name.They just had to dump their mascot Chief Illiniwek. You're full of crap.

The words "Illinois", "Illiniwek" or "Illini" come from the original French explorers. It's their translation of a verbalized expression of the area's native tribes which was considered to mean "Man" as in mankind, or the human race. Various area tribes were aware of the existence of neighboring tribes and this was the word they used to describe what they considered the entire population of Earth. Separate tribes, but with a common language.

FWLIW, there is/was no particular tribe named "Illini". The descendants of the people native to present-day Illinois are members of the Peoria tribe, now living in Oklahoma. During our NCAA nickname "investigation", this tribe showed no love for our Chief Illiniwek. The NCAA had given them veto power over our Chief.

Our University showed the NCAA that the term "Illini" had been used since the 1800's to refer not only to sports teams, but to the entire student body: therefore the NCAA gave us that one. I don't recall a controversy over "Fighting", but that also might have been a term that came into usage after veterans returned to school following WWI. Our Chief Illiniwek first appeared in the mid 1920's: we played the Quakers of the University of Pennsylvania, and at halftime of that game our Chief met the student dressed as a Quaker settler. As the name predated Chief's first appearance, the two were considered separate issues.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Sounds made up but I'll take your word for it. :)

Dude you have the intranet you can surely google it. Chuck Klosterman is famous. (Link to site)

Chuck Klosterman is the bestselling author of eight books of nonfiction (including Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa PuffsBut What If We’re Wrong?; and Chuck Klosterman X) and two novels (Downtown Owl and The Visible Man). He has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, GQ, Esquire, Spin, The Guardian, The Believer, Billboard, The A.V. Club, and ESPN. Klosterman served as the Ethicist for The New York Times Magazine for three years, appeared as himself in the LCD Soundsystem documentary Shut Up and Play the Hits, and was an original founder of the website Grantland with Bill Simmons.

Google is a wonderful thing.You literally have to live under a rock to not know who Klosterman is. He's probably one of UND's most famous alumni who's didn't play sports. At least top-10.

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-flashback/2008/08/29/chuck-klosterman

Yes, although not in the way I anticipated. During college, I was involved with two distinct social groups: a collection of my eight or nine closest friends (who I spent every evening with) and another group of people I worked with at the student newspaper (the Dakota Student). Upon graduation, I assumed the totality of that first group would always remain in my life, because we had a really intense—almost unhealthy—relationship with each other. But that has only happened partially. I'm still in regular contact with half of that group, but the other half has completely disappeared. At this point, I don't even know where some of them live. I think what happens —probably to everybody—during college is that you forge all these unique, hyper deep friendships very quickly, because the day-to-day collegiate experience is constantly transformative, and everyone is incredibly open to thinking about weird thoughts and examining every detail of their life. Plus, everyone is always drunk, so you're often having meaningful, emotional conversations about the nature of existence and who you are as a person. It makes it feel like you're inventing the idea of friendship.

But then your life evolves, and you slowly realize that certain relationships were mostly based on the time and the place and the shared desire to be really close to anyone who seems to be similar to you. That's been something of a sad realization, and it probably explains why I like the movie Kicking and Screaming so much.

But sometimes the opposite happens. Those people I worked with at the newspaper—who I did not view as particularly close friends during the time we were together—have now become people I communicate with almost every day. The seven of us E-mail all the time and get together once a year. We're much better friends now than when we were at UND. I did not anticipate that at all.

What was your favorite hangout spot?

We used to go a 24-hour Hardees restaurant on Gateway Avenue in Grand Forks and sit there all night, talking about Nirvana and Mike Tyson and especially memorable games of Dungeons & Dragons. The best bar was in East Grand Forks. It was called Whitey's. We went there every Wednesday. But then Whitey's was destroyed by a fire that happened during a flood. They've since rebuilt Whitey's, and the new building was designed to look exactly the way it did before the destruction. But now it's too weird. Even though everything is technically identical, it feels fake. It looks like someone has constructed the set for a TV sitcom called "Whitey's." It's like getting drunk inside a simulacrum.

Were you a bookworm or a slacker?

Neither. I did not study very much, but I always showed up for class. A lot of my friends did the opposite, which seemed crazy to me. Who were your role models back then?

Axl Rose and Bobby Knight. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in college?

I think almost every important idea I had about life changed 180 degrees during those four years, so I suppose the biggest obstacle I overcame was myself. Tell us about one thing you did in college that still makes you proud.

I purchased a kerosene lamp at Target. This was during an era when I really liked Primus. I have no idea why I am proud of this. I guess I just like to think, "You know, I used to be the kind of guy who sat around listening to Primus while pretending it was the 19th century." I feel like this is a good indication of what type of idiot I was in 1993. Tell us one way in which college changed you.

Prior to going to UND, it had never occurred to me that it was possible to tell a story without a linear narrative. The concept had simply never occurred to me. But once it did, it changed the way I thought about everything. If you could go back, what about college would you do differently?

Nothing. I have minor regrets but no major ones. I probably wouldn't have worn a baseball cap everywhere. What were two things you did for the first time while in college?

Go to Canada. Eat Chinese food. 

On 4/8/2018 at 8:05 PM, Goon said:

Google is a wonderful thing.You literally have to live under a rock to not know who Klosterman is. He's probably one of UND's most famous alumni who's didn't play sports. At least top-10.

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-flashback/2008/08/29/chuck-klosterman

Yes, although not in the way I anticipated. During college, I was involved with two distinct social groups: a collection of my eight or nine closest friends (who I spent every evening with) and another group of people I worked with at the student newspaper (the Dakota Student). Upon graduation, I assumed the totality of that first group would always remain in my life, because we had a really intense—almost unhealthy—relationship with each other. But that has only happened partially. I'm still in regular contact with half of that group, but the other half has completely disappeared. At this point, I don't even know where some of them live. I think what happens —probably to everybody—during college is that you forge all these unique, hyper deep friendships very quickly, because the day-to-day collegiate experience is constantly transformative, and everyone is incredibly open to thinking about weird thoughts and examining every detail of their life. Plus, everyone is always drunk, so you're often having meaningful, emotional conversations about the nature of existence and who you are as a person. It makes it feel like you're inventing the idea of friendship.

But then your life evolves, and you slowly realize that certain relationships were mostly based on the time and the place and the shared desire to be really close to anyone who seems to be similar to you. That's been something of a sad realization, and it probably explains why I like the movie Kicking and Screaming so much.

But sometimes the opposite happens. Those people I worked with at the newspaper—who I did not view as particularly close friends during the time we were together—have now become people I communicate with almost every day. The seven of us E-mail all the time and get together once a year. We're much better friends now than when we were at UND. I did not anticipate that at all.

What was your favorite hangout spot?

We used to go a 24-hour Hardees restaurant on Gateway Avenue in Grand Forks and sit there all night, talking about Nirvana and Mike Tyson and especially memorable games of Dungeons & Dragons. The best bar was in East Grand Forks. It was called Whitey's. We went there every Wednesday. But then Whitey's was destroyed by a fire that happened during a flood. They've since rebuilt Whitey's, and the new building was designed to look exactly the way it did before the destruction. But now it's too weird. Even though everything is technically identical, it feels fake. It looks like someone has constructed the set for a TV sitcom called "Whitey's." It's like getting drunk inside a simulacrum.

Were you a bookworm or a slacker?

Neither. I did not study very much, but I always showed up for class. A lot of my friends did the opposite, which seemed crazy to me. Who were your role models back then?

Axl Rose and Bobby Knight. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in college?

I think almost every important idea I had about life changed 180 degrees during those four years, so I suppose the biggest obstacle I overcame was myself. Tell us about one thing you did in college that still makes you proud.

I purchased a kerosene lamp at Target. This was during an era when I really liked Primus. I have no idea why I am proud of this. I guess I just like to think, "You know, I used to be the kind of guy who sat around listening to Primus while pretending it was the 19th century." I feel like this is a good indication of what type of idiot I was in 1993. Tell us one way in which college changed you.

Prior to going to UND, it had never occurred to me that it was possible to tell a story without a linear narrative. The concept had simply never occurred to me. But once it did, it changed the way I thought about everything. If you could go back, what about college would you do differently?

Nothing. I have minor regrets but no major ones. I probably wouldn't have worn a baseball cap everywhere. What were two things you did for the first time while in college?

Go to Canada. Eat Chinese food. 

Goon... is this the transcript of segment.

or are you just interviewing yourself again ;)-

• 4 weeks later...