SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

The CNN author states, "[t]he NCAA imposes a ban on offensive Native American mascots and last year, voters dumped the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux mascot."

The same has been stated in other media stories recently including a big write up on UND hockey in the Las Vegas Review Journal. Although maybe technically correct, the statement is made out of context and does not give the complete picture that the voters rejected the nickname out of concern for loss of conference affiliation and other NCAA sanctions.

The CNN author states, "[t]he NCAA imposes a ban on offensive Native American mascots and last year, voters dumped the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux mascot."

The same has been stated in other media stories recently including a big write up on UND hockey in the Las Vegas Review Journal. Although maybe technically correct, the statement is made out of context and does not give the complete picture that the voters rejected the nickname out of concern for loss of conference affiliation and other NCAA sanctions.

The same thing can be said about many stories and many issues. It is rare that any news outlet explains all of the details and history for a story, or takes the time to give the store context. They give the facts, or the facts as they know them. It would take too much time or space, and most viewers or readers don't want to take the time. Or they don't care.

The same thing can be said about many stories and many issues. It is rare that any news outlet explains all of the details and history for a story, or takes the time to give the store context. They give the facts, or the facts as they know them. It would take too much time or space, and most viewers or readers don't want to take the time. Or they don't care.

Isn't this sad commentary on our society?

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL's Redskins back in the news.

http://washington.cb...heads-to-court/

To be honest, in my opinion if there is one Native American "nickname" that needs to go, it's this one.

The strategy is kind of interesting. Get rid of their trademark of "Redskins" to weaken them financially. I wonder if that would affect their licensing on their logo? Probably not, but if it did would that force them to find a new name to hang onto the licensing? Or, what if this would open the floodgates on pirated material with Redskins all over it? Wouldn't that just increase the number of sightings of the name?

To be honest, in my opinion if there is one Native American "nickname" that needs to go, it's this one.

The strategy is kind of interesting. Get rid of their trademark of "Redskins" to weaken them financially. I wonder if that would affect their licensing on their logo? Probably not, but if it did would that force them to find a new name to hang onto the licensing? Or, what if this would open the floodgates on pirated material with Redskins all over it? Wouldn't that just increase the number of sightings of the name?

So if the Redskins got rid of the name....could they bring it back during the times NFL teams do throwback games.

So if the Redskins got rid of the name....could they bring it back during the times NFL teams do throwback games.

Good question. I would think so. There doesn't appear to be any pressure by the NFL for them to remove their name. Unlike what happened to UND with the NCAA.

Probably the best damn advertising their money wouldn't have to buy. I don't see Snyder changing the name. Both the team and the NFL have too much invested in it.

Probably the best damn advertising their money wouldn't have to buy. I don't see Snyder changing the name. Both the team and the NFL have too much invested in it.

Just as the Cleveland Indians not getting rid of Chief Wahoo. $$$$$$

You know, I was thinking about where this lawsuit is happening. Federal Court...D.C. Entrenched politicians in D.C. love the Redskins. This is gonna be a tough one for an anti-nickname group to pull off.

• 1 month later...

Not an Indian nickname, but relevant to this thread.

DailyCaller

Regarding UConn's new logo:

Seriously?? The logo looks like the T-Wolves logo. What about it empowers the rape culture?

The logo and the teams it represents are menacing to women, she wrote.

She needs help....or laid whichever happens first.