SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

Pizza is alright.  I like the taco pizza a lot.  The tacos, on the other hand, were awful both times I tried them = dry and bland.  I haven't had their grinders yet, so no comment there.

grinders are much like the red pepper. except the so called salami isn't from l&m

• 4 weeks later...

Denying Grand Forks residents a new fast food option is not a good first impression to make.

It's not like Hugo's is trying to set up a store in front of Hornbachers, it's a freaking restaurant. It might even drive up business as people will eat and then grab a few grocery items while they are there. But no, that makes too much sense. :silly:

Hornbachers should worry more about competing with the local giant (Hugo's) and stop worrying about a totally different kind of business being built next door. ???

All those years in Grand Forks and I think I went to that SuperOne maybe a handful of times (and when I did I usually thought to myself, decent place I should come here more often). Not sure why but I'd always to go the 32nd Ave Hugos though. I'm not a Grocery Brand loyalist at all, but that Super One location even though its at a great intersection was forgotten about in my mind.

It's not like Hugo's is trying to set up a store in front of Hornbachers, it's a freaking restaurant. It might even drive up business as people will eat and then grab a few grocery items while they are there. But no, that makes too much sense. :silly:

Hornbachers should worry more about competing with the local giant (Hugo's) and stop worrying about a totally different kind of business being built next door. ???

I'm pretty sure that competition has nothing to do with their problem with the restaurant. I'm sure they are worried about visibility, about whether the restaurant will block the view of the Hornbachers store from 32nd. I haven't seen the plans so I have no way of knowing whether the concerns are valid or not, but it sounds like the restaurant is going to be built right out along 32nd like Pizza Hut and the pet store. Visibility for the casual shopper (and mall shoppers) is a big deal.

I'm pretty sure that competition has nothing to do with their problem with the restaurant. I'm sure they are worried about visibility, about whether the restaurant will block the view of the Hornbachers store from 32nd. I haven't seen the plans so I have no way of knowing whether the concerns are valid or not, but it sounds like the restaurant is going to be built right out along 32nd like Pizza Hut and the pet store. Visibility for the casual shopper (and mall shoppers) is a big deal.

Run your business like a destination, and people will find their way there.  As for "casual" grocery shoppers?  "Hornbachers" enjoys zero brand recognition outside of FM, so I'm not sure they're going to draw folks in off the street on building signage alone.  That location kind of sucks for visibility anyway…stuff's built up all cattywampus on that lot.

• Upvote 1

Here is a good reason restaurants are struggling...people are more informed about the garbage (food) some places sell..including grocery stores! I'm happy for this...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/opinion/a-seismic-shift-in-how-people-eat.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=3&referer=https://t.co/CEHS8f5tvk

Good article, and so true.  Thanks for passing it along.

Or maybe they just want to go by the lease they signed?

Run your business like a destination, and people will find their way there.  As for "casual" grocery shoppers?  "Hornbachers" enjoys zero brand recognition outside of FM, so I'm not sure they're going to draw folks in off the street on building signage alone.  That location kind of sucks for visibility anyway…stuff's built up all cattywampus on that lot.

Everyone I know in Grand Forks knows the Hornbacher name. Much of the advertising media reaches both Fargo and Grand Forks, so people have seen their advertising for years. Plus most people in Grand Forks know people in Fargo. People have been waiting for Hornbachers to move into the market. They will get quite a bit of walk-in traffic over the next few months, especially during the Christmas season as people spend extra time along 32nd Avenue for shopping.

I love Ft Collins Colo but it is weird how hard it is to find stores & restaurants - U better know where it is or be prepared to drive around a lot to find it - one of the strangest cities for this - otherwise one of the best cities I have ever been in

Everyone I know in Grand Forks knows the Hornbacher name. Much of the advertising media reaches both Fargo and Grand Forks, so people have seen their advertising for years. Plus most people in Grand Forks know people in Fargo. People have been waiting for Hornbachers to move into the market. They will get quite a bit of walk-in traffic over the next few months, especially during the Christmas season as people spend extra time along 32nd Avenue for shopping.

Plus they will have UND Gear!

Or maybe they just want to go by the lease they signed?

Apparently Super One was fine with it, and you'd think hornbachers would have known about it.

Hornbacher’s, which took over the Super One Foods lease in August, said the restaurant’s construction violated its lease agreement with Grand Forks Associates Limited Partnership, a Chicago-based group. William Spatz, the agent listed for that organization, told the Herald Friday Super One approved a site plan for a restaurant building last year. He added the company would seek to have the restraining order lifted.

Hit Scotty's Deli (a/k/a Al's Lite) on South Washington for lunch today.  Some familiar menu items (for those of you who frequented Al's) including several sandwiches and wraps, and the service was good.  Seating felt sparse (nothing fancy about the furniture), and couldn't quite get over the 'Pita Pit/I've been here before' feeling, but overall a good experience.  Interesting tidbit...only bottled sodas, so if you are a frequent re-filler at the fountain, you'll need to pace yourself or pony up.  

I grew up in Jamestown with Hugo's. It's fine. Lived in Fargo with hornbacher's. It's fine. A little nicer. Maybe a tad more expensive?

I go to hugos because it's closer and groceries aren't that important to me. Plus the jingle is catchy af.