SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

I hope it's not Famous Dave's.  A new concept would be great in that part of town.  The ownership are the guys behind JL Beers and Vinyl Taco, among others, so hopefully they've got something good up their sleeve.

Famous Dave's is one of those places that is great when you travel, but once you have one, you don't go nearly as often as you thought you would.

In my opinion the nice thing about Famous Dave's is just consistently good, solid barbecue.  I live in the Cities and go fairly regularly.  I like the mom and pop joints too, but sometimes they can be a little inconsistent depending on the day.  Dave's is usually good all the time.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, dagies said:

In my opinion the nice thing about Famous Dave's is just consistently good, solid barbecue.  I live in the Cities and go fairly regularly.  I like the mom and pop joints too, but sometimes they can be a little inconsistent depending on the day.  Dave's is usually good all the time.

I live less than 15 minutes from one and haven't been there in a couple of years.  Probably only once in the last 4 or 5 years.  I'm not knocking the food, it's just that when it stopped being a special treat, it wore out for me quickly (I can say the same about a lot of places). 

This is why I'm a big fan of stand-alone, or single location places - they can have an identity of their own, not just what corporate tells them.  I'll trade a little bit of the predictability for that.

18 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

I hope it's not Famous Dave's.  A new concept would be great in that part of town.  The ownership are the guys behind JL Beers and Vinyl Taco, among others, so hopefully they've got something good up their sleeve.

Famous Dave's is one of those places that is great when you travel, but once you have one, you don't go nearly as often as you thought you would.

I would single handily keep Vinyl Taco in business. Grand Forks needs more quality, local or regional restaurants. 

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

I was thinking that the other day. The building must need a complete gut job or something. 

Size is way to big for most, especially local restaurants. Add in the age, location, and cost to remodel/tear down. That building is a lost cause. It's makes way more sense to lease in a strip mall on 32nd or build new. In an area where people actually go to the mall & surrounding businesses.

Just down the street next door to taco Johns, another good location, that nobody can seem to make work (not to mention the old Hardee's/Dickies building).

2 hours ago, Fetch said:

It is amazing the old ponderosa in front of Kmart has been empty so long good location lots of parking easy access ???

You'd think that building would be in poor condition now. I don't think anyone has been in there for at least 15 years. 

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

I would single handily keep Vinyl Taco in business. Grand Forks needs more quality, local or regional restaurants. 

Might have to give this place another try. Went once and was completely unimpressed.

3 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

I live less than 15 minutes from one and haven't been there in a couple of years.  Probably only once in the last 4 or 5 years.  I'm not knocking the food, it's just that when it stopped being a special treat, it wore out for me quickly (I can say the same about a lot of places). 

This is why I'm a big fan of stand-alone, or single location places - they can have an identity of their own, not just what corporate tells them.  I'll trade a little bit of the predictability for that.

I'm actually a big fan of these as well, and my preference is usually to go to places like these.   But if you are going to have a chain, I think Famous Dave's is a pretty good one...IMO better than most.

I'd eat at FD's over an average to below average local joint.  But if the local joint can produce food as good or better than FD's then I'm all over it.

3 hours ago, Fetch said:

It is amazing the old ponderosa in front of Kmart has been empty so long good location lots of parking easy access ???

Don't disagree, but have you seen the condition of the parking lots surrounding the old mall?  Holy potholes, Batman!  It'd be easier - and safer - to drive across an asteroid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

You'd think that building would be in poor condition now. I don't think anyone has been in there for at least 15 years. 

Pretty sure Ponderosa was open until 2006 or 2007 at least, but yeah it's been empty a long time.

43 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Pretty sure Ponderosa was open until 2006 or 2007 at least, but yeah it's been empty a long time.

Believe 07.

Member Jennies or was it Jeanies? Isn't that an auto parts store now? Seems they are everywhere and the old Playmaker lot too IIRC.