SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

You really aren't paying $1,000/month for the living space; you are paying for all the bells and whistles they put into those buildings (swimming pools, well-maintained lawns and green space, etc). The good thing is that these new buildings are adding more capacity to the market and it is making older, but still well-managed and maintained apartments more affordable and available to people that can't and/or don't want to pay outrageous rents. Personally, I have put down a deposit for an apartment on the south end near Hugo's and Carmike that was built in 1993, is in good shape and is reasonably priced. I don't think that would have been possible even 5 years ago.

Even so, $1k/month is nearly what I paid in DT Minneapolis for the same bells and whistles (minus the green space obviously :))  But that is what the GF rental market is right now and supply is trying to catch up to demand. Not complaining at all (I own my house) but just never it would happen.

So Cardinal Point (south end luxury aparments) they've had their up and downs but are making progress. The problem I have is they'll be overpriced and for a luxury aparment,  the building does not support central air? Anyone else notice all the AC units on the exterior.

That seems like a bonehead move.

Thoughts?

FWIW I was curious and texted this question about why they don't have central air to my dad (who is in the HVAC industry) and he responded "cheaper".

Went to some Wild Hog place with the woman this weekend. I enjoyed it. Certainly wasn't on the level with the BBQ we've had in Texas the last few years but still pretty good.

Funny......that's what  big time college FB fans in Texas have said for years when the FCS title game rolls in........"this FB wasn't on the same level as big time Texas college FB.....but still pretty good"!  ;)

• Upvote 2

Even so, $1k/month is nearly what I paid in DT Minneapolis for the same bells and whistles (minus the green space obviously :))  But that is what the GF rental market is right now and supply is trying to catch up to demand. Not complaining at all (I own my house) but just never it would happen.

I think supply is coming closer to meeting demand, but you still see buildings going up.

FWIW I was curious and texted this question about why they don't have central air to my dad (who is in the HVAC industry) and he responded "cheaper".

Interesting.  I priced a couple places in the warehouse district this summer, and the rents for the ones with the pool and everything were about $2,000 a month, give or take $100.  I must've been looking at the elitist stuff, lol!

But Fargo is growing south.

Are you suggesting that the north end of Grand Forks is deserted? I call B.S. on that. People that can't afford the housing on the south end will snatch up the cheaper housing on the north end. It seems like every city has a working class section and a ruling class section.

It is cheaper no question. But if you're building a "luxury" apartment and you don't have central air, that seems rather pathetic. I am in the market for a place like to upgrade to, but they will not be getting my business. 

• Upvote 2

It is cheaper no question. But if you're building a "luxury" apartment and you don't have central air, that seems rather pathetic. I am in the market for a place like to upgrade to, but they will not be getting my business. 

Yup, I completely agree. Would never consider a "luxury apartment" without central air. It seems like it should be a given paying that much in rent.

• Upvote 1

Interesting.  I priced a couple places in the warehouse district this summer, and the rents for the ones with the pool and everything were about $2,000 a month, give or take $100.  I must've been looking at the elitist stuff, lol!

Yeah you probably were. I was in the Churchill next to the river, which isn't a super fancy building but I was on the 15th floor with a balcony and great view of the city.

Folks, where is there safe land* to build on in Grand Forks right now? It's all ... south. 

And Grand Forks is growing or those developers would not be putting up those buildings. 

*Inside the flood protection

near (south of) new Walmart on hwy 2

Edited by Fetch

There is another reason. If the building has central air, then the landlord has to pay the monthly cost of it. He can do that and raise the rent, making his apartments sound even less affordable, or he can do window units and let the tenant worry about the monthly cost of cooling the apartment. 

Not true... I am a property manager for a development company, and we have central air/furnace units in each apartment in our buildings.  Each apartment has it's own electric meter, and the tenant pays for the heating/cooling cost for this in their Xcel Energy bills.  The only thing that we do is regular maintenance, change air filters, etc.

Anyone building new construction now that installs wall unit air conditioners is doing it on the cheap, no matter what other amenities they offer...And if anyone ever tells you that a wall unit air conditioner will cool an entire apartment, they are lying...Another way builders go on the cheap is to build rows of unheated garages that are not attached to their buildings, instead of heated underground parking.

Edited by JLP157
misspelled word

Not true... I am a property manager for a development company, and we have central air/furnace units in each apartment in our buildings.  Each apartment has it's own electric meter, and the tenant pays for the heating/cooling cost for this in their Xcel Energy bills.  The only thing that we do is regular maintenance, change air filters, etc.

Anyone building new construction now that installs wall unit air conditioners is doing it on the cheap, no matter what other amenities they offer...And if anyone ever tells you that a wall unit air conditioner will cool an entire apartment, they are lying...Another way builders go on the cheap is to build rows of unheated garages that are not attached to their buildings, instead of heated underground parking.

Disagree based on personal experience. If you run it regularly instead of shutting it off and then putting it back on after it heats up inside it will keep your place nice and cool. Of course, this depends on the quality of the unit.

Disagree based on personal experience. If you run it regularly instead of shutting it off and then putting it back on after it heats up inside it will keep your place nice and cool. Of course, this depends on the quality of the unit.

Unless you're in an efficiency apartment (no bedrooms) you'll need several fans inside the apartment to disperse the cool air.  Also, some condominium style apartments have 2 floors and the air conditioning unit is on the lower floor.  That cold air isn't going to make it to the upstairs bedroom.

Unless you're in an efficiency apartment (no bedrooms) you'll need several fans inside the apartment to disperse the cool air.  Also, some condominium style apartments have 2 floors and the air conditioning unit is on the lower floor.  That cold air isn't going to make it to the upstairs bedroom.

I only have lived in one floor apartments, so I cannot speak to having multiple floors. And I have used only one fan in the 12 plex unit I lived in a few years ago and it worked marvelously. I did keep the door of the second bedroom (which I used for storage) closed, but the primary bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen were always temperate during even the hottest summer days.