SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

Never had a problem with Far East - their problem is their building is falling on itself (roof problems) and now I see that lot is for sale.  Enjoy it while you can GFH - they do have great food when they're cooking it up.  Best Chinese Buffet in GF even if it is in the scary scary "Northend" lol

45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Anyone know why Chino Latino isn’t just called Steers? Love the food, just confused at the need for a different name.

My understanding is that the original plan was to keep the Steers name at the original location, but the person that took over for the original owner later decided to change the name of Steers after the Chino Latino name had already been made official for the new one.

I never ate at Steers. Is the Chino menu the same as Steers was?

I love those triangle pastry things with the ground beef and spices inside. The Chicken Curry is great, too!

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Anyone know why Chino Latino isn’t just called Steers? Love the food, just confused at the need for a different name.

Chino Latino is a MUCH better marketing name that Steers.   Cooler - Hipper - more in line with their actual food offerings.  Steers sounds like a cattle auction house:-)  And YES the food is very good!  Elias Deans' story is even better - check it out on his Facebook.

PS - the folks who've taken over his old location (Mt. Everest - Taste of the Himalaya's) have their own game.   Try the Chili Momo's as an app and go from there!  You'll like it Geaux - you're adventurous!  Great to see more than just another lame burger place open up in GF!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, N of GF said:

I love those triangle pastry things with the ground beef and spices inside. The Chicken Curry is great, too!

Samosas!   The ground beef ones are good but try the chicken ones too - they're AMAZING!  Entree suggestion - The Korean Chicken with Gojuchang sauce.   It's like the Red Peppers White Sauce but with actual FLAVOR (sorry Sioux fans:-))

12 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Samosas!   The ground beef ones are good but try the chicken ones too - they're AMAZING!  Entree suggestion - The Korean Chicken with Gojuchang sauce.   It's like the Red Peppers White Sauce but with actual FLAVOR (sorry Sioux fans:-))

2 meat platter- tikka masala and jerk chicken. It’s a fantastic combo and a great deal. $30 for like 6 meals worth of food for a normal person.

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

2 meat platter- tikka masala and jerk chicken. It’s a fantastic combo and a great deal. $30 for like 6 meals worth of food for a normal person.

Do they have a chicken makhani/chicken makhanwala/butter chicken on the menu? Not that I get up to GF all that often, but I'm always on the lookout.

10 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Do they have a chicken makhani/chicken makhanwala/butter chicken on the menu? Not that I get up to GF all that often, but I'm always on the lookout.

Not sure about that at ChinoLatino but GF actually has a Punjabi Indian Restaurant now (only took 125 years) called House of Punjab.  Authentic and really good.  If anyone does that they do.

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

What’s the best pizza in town these days?

You'll get a bunch of varying answers but Half Bros/Up North/Rhombus would probably be your best bets. I'm sure people have varying opinions on those but they consistently seem to be the top choices.

Slapshot/Deek's/Poplino's if its late and quality isn't the top concern. Probably even more opinions on those 3.

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You'll get a bunch of varying answers but Half Bros/Up North/Rhombus would probably be your best bets. I'm sure people have varying opinions on those but they consistently seem to be the top choices.

Slapshot/Deek's/Poplino's if its late and quality isn't the top concern. Probably even more opinions on those 3.

I’m a Italian moon guy or mikes. 

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Pete's Za on S. Washington is really good.

I'd put Pete's Za and Boss's (and maybe Marco's?) all in the same category. Good, not great, but you won't be upset with choosing them.

Crooked Pint is also serving Green Mill pizza again, which while still good, doesn't seem to be quite as good as I previously remembered.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I let the kids pick today’s lunch spot…they picked the effin’ Olive Garden.  Where’s a good breakfast place before we hit the road tomorrow morning?

Northside Cafe by the Ralph (Old Suite 49 location).   Probably pretty busy on Sunday but worth it.  The stuffed hashbrowns are amazing!   Just a warning might take a while so be patient.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

I let the kids pick today’s lunch spot…they picked the effin’ Olive Garden.  Where’s a good breakfast place before we hit the road tomorrow morning?

Northside or Darcy's...ate at Northside last week and it was pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, gfhockey said:

Had Far East buffet again for pregame meal

excellent Chinese food

WELL you did it again gfhockey!

Stopped into Far East last friday for a takeout lunch and found out they were CLOSING that same day!   Building and lot has been for sale for awhile.  Is this because the GOBC gave them the kiss of death? 

Nah - as it turns out talked to the owner and she's been looking to sell for awhile and is moving out of the area for another business opportunity.   Thanked her and ate my lunch then thought...IS IT WISE TO EAT AT A CHINESE BUFFET ON THE LAST DAY THEY'RE IN BUSINESS??  (cleaning out those fridges and all)  Turns out everything "came out fine" in the end...sad to see them go though.  Their Seafood Delight and Chicken Skewers were amazing - they will be missed.  Growing their mung beans behind their garbage dumpster not so much but they never made me sick.  Best of luck in their future endeavours!

On 10/14/2022 at 12:06 PM, UNDColorado said:

I will trade someone the Parrot's Cay wing sauce recipe if they can get me the Red Pepper white sauce recipe.

It's been many years since I knew a few of their recipes by heart, but I'm pretty sure it's just equal parts buttermilk and generic (like Sysco brand) salad dressing with a lot of coarse ground black pepper to taste.  The red sauce is equally as simple, but can't recall exactly.  DM me that Cay wing recipe unless it's the one on Reddit which I've found.

If anyone has a Cay BBQ sauce recipe, that'd be even better.