SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

On 10/4/2022 at 7:21 AM, gfhockey said:

Tried Far East buffet the other day

easnt bad but panda Mongolian grill better

Just stick with the buffet and don't have anything off the Mongolian Grill.   A couple years ago saw an employee come out and stir the piles of raw meat and vegetables with no gloves going from chicken to beef to noodles and whatever.   Salmonella anyone?   Done and DONE! I could also tell you tales of being in their kitchen many years ago but lets not go there.  All I can say is "tubs of grey chicken on the floor" and enough said!

Far East used to be a lot better but their building is for sale and it's falling in on itself (plus they grew some kind of vegetables in the rear of the building last year next to the garbage dumpsters. - sure there's a health code violation there) but whatever - never made me sick.  

GF Classic China Garden has gone to crap - both food and service wise - what happened to the proliferation of Chinese Buffets??  We have no real go-to in GF - that sucks!

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Just stick with the buffet and don't have anything off the Mongolian Grill.   A couple years ago saw an employee come out and stir the piles of raw meat and vegetables with no gloves going from chicken to beef to noodles and whatever.   Salmonella anyone?   Done and DONE! I could also tell you tales of being in their kitchen many years ago but lets not go there.  All I can say is "tubs of grey chicken on the floor" and enough said!

Far East used to be a lot better but their building is for sale and it's falling in on itself (plus they grew some kind of vegetables in the rear of the building last year next to the garbage dumpsters. - sure there's a health code violation there) but whatever - never made me sick.  

GF Classic China Garden has gone to crap - both food and service wise - what happened to the proliferation of Chinese Buffets??  We have no real go-to in GF - that sucks!

I have said this since i moved here.  Grand Forks does not have a good Chinese Restaurant.  I think if a good one came to town and put in a decent location could rack up all the business.  If i want decent Chinese food I will travel to Crookston both options there are decent.   

Just now, NewUndFan said:

I have said this since i moved here.  Grand Forks does not have a good Chinese Restaurant.  I think if a good one came to town and put in a decent location could rack up all the business.  If i want decent Chinese food I will travel to Crookston both options there are decent.   

Molly Yeh is half Chinese.  I was hoping her restaurant would provide a much-needed jolt into the Chinese scene (especially since HuHot is closed).

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

This is region wide issue.

I blame the increase Asian-American sentiment leftover from the China Virus fiasco.

27 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This is region wide issue.

I blame the increase Asian-American sentiment leftover from the China Virus fiasco.

In my opinion this has nothing to do with lock downs and covid or Asain hate.  I have been in Grand Forks for awhile and it hasnt been good whole time I have been here.  I have eaten at other Chinese restaurants in other areas and had decent food.   Other cities seem to have good Chinese restaurants not sure why Grand Forks cant draw one here.  I have asked the owners in Crookston to open one here.  Would be better then what we have now.   

I have not tried Panda Express in the union yet.  Anyone have opinion on it?  

30 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Maybe fufeng will be a Chinese place to town to eat at 

Fufeng is a pipedream.  If it does come to town say good bye to your UAV and air base.  Many other states will pull them to their state in the name of national security.  Easy sell for these companies and Air Base to move.

6 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Fufeng is a pipedream.  If it does come to town say good bye to your UAV and air base.  Many other states will pull them to their state in the name of national security.  Easy sell for these companies and Air Base to move.

Well they are laying pipe as we type

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Guess I don't know how they infiltrate the base any better than a person in the aviation department posing as a UND student.  If the Chinese wanted to do something I would guess they would camouflage it rather than have a big Chinese Company with supposed red flags do their dirty work.   Do we propose kicking all the Chinese students off campus because they have the potential to be a security risk?   Just a rhetorical question, I don't want to hijack this thread and make it about Fufeng.   Speaking of licking their chops ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Maybe fufeng will be a Chinese place to town to eat at 

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Or one of their workers wives could do authentic chinese

Well done! That's how you completely and efficiently stir the pot, or the wok, I suppose. LOL.

23 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Speaking of fufeng wow

gfafb just released a press announcement basically severing ties with the community of grand forks

Overstatement.

They're stepping away until the CFIUS review is complete. That's normal anti-conflict of interest action during a review. 

Best thing that could,happen is the feds. Step and say no

let the feds be the bad cop and Bo saves face

If a  corn plant is needed in this country there is plenty of capital here to do it

let it be part of ND mill and elevator 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Overstatement.

They're stepping away until the CFIUS review is complete. That's normal anti-conflict of interest action during a review. 

Quite honestly tho 

if a new mission came about

and gf afb was in top 3

i could see us loosing new missions with fufeng in our back yard

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

In my opinion this has nothing to do with lock downs and covid or Asain hate.  I have been in Grand Forks for awhile and it hasnt been good whole time I have been here.  I have eaten at other Chinese restaurants in other areas and had decent food.   Other cities seem to have good Chinese restaurants not sure why Grand Forks cant draw one here.  I have asked the owners in Crookston to open one here.  Would be better then what we have now.   

I have not tried Panda Express in the union yet.  Anyone have opinion on it?  

Panda Express is the best fast food Chinese out there in my opinion. Hopefully the union is  the same

3 hours ago, FightingSU said:

Exactly. We do not Chinese investments in grand forks. It’s just ridiculous to me. How is it even a discussion 

So then we should boot out Cirrus, a Chinese aviation  company already currently here.  An aviation company near the base seems like a bigger threat.  I assume you will be fine paying a lot more in tax to make up for the loss to the tax base.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think feufung is a threat, but the negative perception is.  Not worth risking uav investment imo.  

And holy crap.  There are a ton of new restaurants in town that I've never heard of.  Jealous.    Tavern had great wings 10-15 years ago but they have always had the WORST service.  Never been to a place with such consistently bad waitresses.  I liked their uniforms though.

Grand Forks could use an ice cream place with huge portions and lines down the road.   Kegs had the best potential for a place like I'm thinking, but it was kinda dumpy (but good).  Is kegs still in business?

1 hour ago, tnt said:

So then we should boot out Cirrus, a Chinese aviation  company already currently here.  An aviation company near the base seems like a bigger threat.  I assume you will be fine paying a lot more in tax to make up for the loss to the tax base.

If you don't think Chinese have not inflitrated you are not paying attention.  They compromise many Americans.  A US Congressman.  A President .  Maybe a UND professor.  A Air Force personnel at GFAFB.  A drone company employee or spouse.  This is not complicated.  If you focus on economies you lost war.

• Like 2