SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

On 10/14/2022 at 12:06 PM, UNDColorado said:

I will trade someone the Parrot's Cay wing sauce recipe if they can get me the Red Pepper white sauce recipe.

The Red Pepper recipes are posted in these boards somewhere. I don't recall where exactly, but a search will find it.

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:27 PM, gfNDfan said:

Northside Cafe by the Ralph (Old Suite 49 location).   Probably pretty busy on Sunday but worth it.  The stuffed hashbrowns are amazing!   Just a warning might take a while so be patient.

how didn't they rebrand their name to "ralphs" when they moved in there

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how didn't they rebrand their name to "ralphs" when they moved in there

too close to ralphing after too many beers I'd guess:whistling:    Northside has a solid rep but people thought they closed when they left the Gateway location.   They have good breakfast and lunch crowds - evenings are spotty but they need to figure out how to cater to the Before/After Hockey crowds and they could enhance their business imo.  They HAVE figured out how to charge cars $15 for parking lol - that was a no-brainer

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so the coffee shop (teao?) in the rhombus brewery aint gonna ever open...that guy that partnered with the rhombus boys left and moved back to minny town....sounds like they might make that side an under 18 or under 21 "cafe/space/ something"....

Really Confused what rhombus is doing with the brewery

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 9:19 PM, Nodak78 said:

Didn't know where to post this but growing up TV was great before microwaves.  Pop them in the oven for a quick meal.  Mom prepared damn near every meal.  Rare for a trip to a restaurant.  I know i'm old.  

I loved these growing up.... 

Sustained me throughout college...

They've either changed a lot... or I had horrible standards.

So terrible these days.

• Upvote 2

On 11/24/2022 at 9:19 PM, Nodak78 said:

Didn't know where to post this but growing up TV was great before microwaves.  Pop them in the oven for a quick meal.  Mom prepared damn near every meal.  Rare for a trip to a restaurant.  I know i'm old.  

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I loved these growing up.... 

Sustained me throughout college...

They've either changed a lot... or I had horrible standards.

So terrible these days.

Once they made these microwavable, it killed the taste.  I use to enjoy these and the pot pies.  The pot pie crusts taste awful now.  That was use to be my favorite part. Then again, I may have had horrible standards also.  Along with a very limited bank account when it came to grocery shopping.  

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Glad to see the "Where to eat" thread has devolved back to TV dinners in college - reminds me - I had a little pizza oven in "NO COOKING" Walsh Hall back in the '80's.   Weekends I had no meal plan so it was a frozen pizza OR as I discovered I could cook TV Dinners in my pizza oven - BRILLIANT! 

My go-to was the Swanson Chicken dinner with 2 pieces of fried chicken - potatoes - a veggie - AND a baked apple dessert in the middle upper cup.   Like I died and went to heaven....until the nerdy RA knocked on the door and asked if I was "cooking??"

I said "!@#$ no NERD" and slammed the door in his face.  Then went back to my tv dinner....ah...memories

Yes, the Squires meal contract didn't include Saturdays and Sundays.
I lived in Walsh and had a little hot plate for hot meals.
Keep door shut for many hours after whipping up a meal.

Cold meals were on menu also. 
Make a boxed in cooler against window.
Cold meats
Sardines
Tuna
Dried beef
Smoked fish
Pickled eggs
Pork n Beans
Crackers
Chips
Bread
Pick Pigs feet

Tried to eat a all contents in a container once opened up.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

... until the nerdy RA knocked on the door and asked if I was "cooking??"

Clearly wasn't me:
(a) not nerdy ;) 
(b) all you could ever smell on my floors was burnt popcorn from the Walsh service desk (you could've been roasting a side of beef) :D

Best thing Housing ever did for RAs was offer the 19 meal plan (5x3 + 2x2) with a downgrade option: You could opt to take the 10 or 15 and get the difference in cash. Being in Walsh I didn't want to trudge over to Wilky on weekends (only option). I'd take the 10 (5x2) and spend the cash to eat on weekends. The singular extravagance each month: Saturday supper at Shangri-La with a lovely female companion. ;) 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Clearly wasn't me:
(a) not nerdy ;) 
(b) all you could ever smell on my floors was burnt popcorn from the Walsh service desk (you could've been roasting a side of beef) :D

Best thing Housing ever did for RAs was offer the 19 meal plan (5x3 + 2x2) with a downgrade option: You could opt to take the 10 or 15 and get the difference in cash. Being in Walsh I didn't want to trudge over to Wilky on weekends (only option). I'd take the 10 (5x2) and spend the cash to eat on weekends. The singular extravagance each month: Saturday supper at Shangri-La with a lovely female companion. ;) 

Was that lovely or “lovely”?  Asking for the masses. 

3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I bought your story until that lady part. :lol:. I had the 19 meal plan. Liked squires food, life was good, except some pesky RAs...

Liked Squires also, Wilky didn't measure up so not worth the trudge. 

During my time at UND Walsh RAs had single rooms (and the east wings had private suites) but to my observation most had a < ahem > "room mate". 

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

If I recall there was a kitchen area by the Landry room. Recall some deer sausage fiasco. ;):silly::whistling:

You recall correctly. That laundry room renovation is how easts got private suites. 

My favorite was the combo of Friday post-buck-pitchers, Burger King (where to eat thread!) foil wrappers, and the microwave oven. 

I swear I was on first-name basis with half the Columbia Road fire station crews. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

@iramurphy, @Blackheart, a gentleman does not discuss such matters. 

Of course not. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Liked Squires also, Wilky didn't measure up so not worth the trudge. 

During my time at UND Walsh RAs had single rooms (and the east wings had private suites) but to my observation most had a < ahem > "room mate". 

Sooo… You had a cat in the dorm?  

• 2 weeks later...