SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

36 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Can you expand on that a bit?  

The interior is very bleak. Just a very cold atmosphere. Plain white walls.

Then you get the menu. And there's about very few real "items" on there to choose from.

I chose the only "normal" looking thing. A burger.

I suspect she's catering to vegetarians too because some of the menu items sounded horrible.

Nothing to bring a person back.

This was the 2 pm "lunch menu."

Grab a bologna sandwich and head to your unfinished basement and you'll have about the same experience.

Bologna sandwhich was one of their 10 or so items available.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2023 at 5:33 PM, Cratter said:

The interior is very bleak. Just a very cold atmosphere. Plain white walls.

Then you get the menu. And there's about very few real "items" on there to choose from.

I chose the only "normal" looking thing. A burger.

I suspect she's catering to vegetarians too because some of the menu items sounded horrible.

Nothing to bring a person back.

This was the 2 pm "lunch menu."

Grab a bologna sandwich and head to your unfinished basement and you'll have about the same experience.

Bologna sandwhich was one of their 10 or so items available.

There’s always Applebees if you crave “normal”. Fwiw I’ve not been to Bernie’s yet but I appreciate someone trying something. I know minimalism isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but brining something different to town is important.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

There’s always Applebees if you crave “normal”. Fwiw I’ve not been to Bernie’s yet but I appreciate someone trying something. I know minimalism isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but brining something different to town is important.

Some can't live without nineteen kinds of toothpaste with tri-colored gel and whitening and breath freshening.

Others miss or even enjoy the simplicity of "Colgate or Crest". 

• 2 weeks later...

Erbert & Gerbert goes kaperbut.  Sure won't miss that drive thru with the impossible 90 degree exit, but sandwich alternatives to Subway and JJ are always welcome. 

Northend Burger King also gonzo. Meh on that one, and there are still a couple other stores in town for your Whopper or chicken fries fix.

On 2/26/2023 at 9:26 PM, Cratter said:

I rediscovered the Urban Coffee shop. Now that is a place with  cool vibe.

just wish those two spots behind them could actually get a business(s) in there to complement the urban stampede...like a donut shop or something or ice cream shop...those two spots are eye sores (especailly the artist dump)

if both tea and crepe were in in one and the french one by joe blacks were in the other i think all 3 would benefit

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Erbert & Gerbert goes kaperbut.  Sure won't miss that drive thru with the impossible 90 degree exit, but sandwich alternatives to Subway and JJ are always welcome. 

Northend Burger King also gonzo. Meh on that one, and there are still a couple other stores in town for your Whopper or chicken fries fix.

It’s a location upgrade for El Gorditos. That’s an overall win IMO.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

anything other than the west african place in the mall then?

The West African place is the only place to eat in the mall food court.  However, I think Scheels has pretty good food in their food court.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Per their Facebook, ix-nay ita-Pay it-Pay. 

Last few days...head over there soon! 

RIP variety in Grand Forks.  Guessing that Pepper Jax would have suffered the same fate, if it been allowed to be built. #stillsourgrapes

On 5/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

anything other than the west african place in the mall then?

that's it.   Went to the mall for the first time in years (like everyone else apparently) and it was really depressing.   It's like a galaxy collapsing on itself with all the stores shriveling toward the center until it eventually explodes in a supernova - except I suspect this will be more like a wet fart.   No reward for driving through the parking lot direct from Syria with all the potholes.  Grand Cities mall might have more actual stores - now THAT says something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfNDfan said:

that's it.   Went to the mall for the first time in years (like everyone else apparently) and it was really depressing.   It's like a galaxy collapsing on itself with all the stores shriveling toward the center until it eventually explodes in a supernova - except I suspect this will be more like a wet fart.   No reward for driving through the parking lot direct from Syria with all the potholes.  Grand Cities mall might have more actual stores - now THAT says something.

Grand cities Mall is exponentially more interesting.

GF has to grew some testicular fortitude and make something happen to the Columbia mall, it's a sucking chest wound to the city and providing nothing but a tax writeoff for..... whatever holding company has it now.

If there was ever a valid cause for eminent domain... it's the Columbia Mall in Grand Forks.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:08 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Northend Burger King also gonzo. Meh on that one, and there are still a couple other stores in town for your Whopper or chicken fries 

That Erbert and Gerbert's was so poorly run.  Whoever owned it clearly didn't give a crap.  

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

GF has to grew some testicular fortitude and make something happen to the Columbia mall, ...

If only there were ideas and examples to learn from ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=new+life+for+shopping+malls&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS929US929&oq=new+life+for+shopping+malls&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i15i22i30j0i390i650l3.10935j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

With the advent of Amazon they need to turn into service industry businesses 

lawn and garden with a good service department that fixes what they sell

appliance business that services what they sell

apple stores are always busy and have a service department 

good old fashion cafe , stay away from everything fried

don't need mega stores

water  and ice kiosks

i prefer a store front where you park in front of the store you shop in, not an inside store 

maybe city leaders need a road trip and look what can be done 

Roughly a third of it (old Macys wing) has been sold and will be turned into a Christian school.  Part of it is also a Sanford Power facility and Artwise  (aka NON retail) usage.   Penny's is dying and will be dead soon so Scheels remains the only viable retail wing.   All the remaining stores should gravitate toward them.  The company that owns Columbia Mall is out of state and uses it  as a tax write off and they couldn't give 2 sh*ts.  The city should at least demand they maintain their mall roads and parking lots that are atrocious.

The future of retail in GF is - apparently by the number being built - strip malls??   The trick seems to be filling them????  There are tons with few or no clients yet they keep building them.  Wish them the best of luck...