SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

I have just heard from somebody who was teammates with him that he is going to Everett. Not that that means he will for sure. Would love to see him come here but have low expectations so I won't be disappointed.

Well if that is the case let me be the first to wish Seth all the best and thank him for considering coming to UND. Even if he doesn't come just the idea that he narrowed his only college choice down to UND speaks volumes.

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious." -- Simone

I guess I'll wait for young Mr. Jones to speak for himself, one way or another.

Must be a heck of a way to go through life.

I'm glad you're not part of the team.

Haha it was supposed to be a joke.

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious." -- Simone

I guess I'll wait for young Mr. Jones to speak for himself, one way or another.

I knew somebody would bring something like this up. I am also going to wait for Seth to decide in hopes that we will get the stud.

Regardless of whether he is here next year or not, I'm extremely confident in the defensive corps that the team will have.

Sioux hockey isn't about one guy, its about a collective unit of guys that all buy in. Jones is a tremendous talent, but if he doesn't end up playing for the Sioux I'm not going to lose any sleep. I decided that after the whole Miller thing I'd rather have guys at UND that are 100 percent on board, than guys who are second guessing themselves and thinking of the junior hockey route.

I decided that after the whole Miller thing I'd rather have guys at UND that are 100 percent on board, than guys who are second guessing themselves and thinking of the junior hockey route.

Yes. And eff JT Miller. Thank you. :)

Reverse Psychology isn't a real thing.

Wow, you're not very smart are you Bill?

Reverse psychology can be a powerful manipulation method used to get the person to do what you want them to do. It is a manipulation method that has been used through ancient times and even now. The use of reverse psychology has been used by war strategists, businessmen, leaders and all sorts of people. Some people master reverse psychology so well that they use it to profit off on others.

What is reverse psychology? You can say it is a way to get the person to do something you want by saying and doing the opposite. It is a way of manipulating others. By playing your cards right, most actions can be manipulated with reverse psychology. Learning about psychology can be a great way to exploit other people’s actions.[linky]

Is it just me or does that make it seem like he's heading to the WHL if Everett is discussing the possibility of trading him already?

Schlossman said, "This has to imply that Everett doesn't think it's getting Jones, but probably not great news for UND"

The Portland Winterhawks hold the rights to a few UND recruits. I'm sure they will make a hard push for Jones.

Schlossman said, "This has to imply that Everett doesn't think it's getting Jones, but probably not great news for UND"

The Portland Winterhawks hold the rights to a few UND recruits. I'm sure they will make a hard push for Jones.

Interesting, I wonder why that wouldn't be good news for UND. Maybe Everett heard he was leaning towards North Dakota and tried to trade his rights for something of value? I don't know how the WHL system works very well but this feels like a conspiracy of WHL v. NCAA.

Interesting, I wonder why that wouldn't be good news for UND. Maybe Everett heard he was leaning towards North Dakota and tried to trade his rights for something of value? I don't know how the WHL system works very well but this feels like a conspiracy of WHL v. NCAA.

Think about it. How many kids has Portland brainwashed... I mean persuaded, to sign with them? Crookston's Bittner, Keegan Iverson from Breck, Schoenborn from Minot, etc. They hold the rights to Grimaldi, Tambellini, Voltin for us. They also have AJ Michaelson and Travis Boyd'S rights from Minnesota. They feel confident about poaching players or in Jones case, persuading them. And based on recent events, they should feel confident.

I think Portland believes they have a better chance of getting Jones because they have the rights to several of our other recruits. So they are looking into obtaining his rights from Everett and then using these other kids as leverage to get Jones to sign with them. Then they might have a better chance at picking off some of our other kids. That is all I can think of. I honestly wouldn't put anything past these Major Junior weasels. I honestly believe they want to destroy NCAA hockey and then take over all player development for North America. Some people on here might call that paranoia, but I really believe it.

Maybe Everett heard he was leaning towards North Dakota and tried to trade his rights for something of value?

At this point, with the little one knows from a Twitter twip, twap, twerp (or whatever you call it) I guess I'd also speculate if Everett is trying to get what they can from the pick.

The conspiracy theory would be SJ told Everett that he won't play for them but would play in a place like ... Portland.

Again, it's all speculation.

I'll wait for the lad to speak aloud his final decision.

Maybe the Winterhawks are one of those teams offering money. [Link]

“The amount of money under the table in those leagues is rampant,” said RPI coach Seth Appert, who just ended his term as president of the American Hockey College Association. “That’s against NCAA rules, no matter how we slice it.”

Said Berenson: “I know some kids have been paid, there’s no question about that. I can’t tell you what the OHL allows or what they don’t allow. I know some kids that have been paid.”

In a conversation with Sporting News, one player weighing the decision confirmed he’d been offered a significant financial package to play in Canada, saying it’s not an easy thing to turn down.

“Everybody has their price,” he said.

Backing up that point is this article from Adam Wodon.

We don't know for sure that anything like this happened with Reid or Coyle (and academic issues were at least a factor too), but it's a fairly well-established fact in hockey circles that at least some major junior teams offer six-figures of under-the-table cash to players to go there. This is not allowed by the rules of the CHL (the governing body of Canada's three Major Junior leagues), but the CHL home office, and its lesser teams, look the other way because it's just another notch in the war with U.S. colleges.

I think Portland believes they have a better chance of getting Jones because they have the rights to several of our other recruits. So they are looking into obtaining his rights from Everett and then using these other kids as leverage to get Jones to sign with them. Then they might have a better chance at picking off some of our other kids. That is all I can think of. I honestly wouldn't put anything past these Major Junior weasels. I honestly believe they want to destroy NCAA hockey and then take over all player development for North America. Some people on here might call that paranoia, but I really believe it.

I don't think it has anything to do with our recruits or current players rights they have. Two of the three have told Portland where to shove it. And with recruits, it's not like if they got one, they'd get the other, because a lot of the time recruits don't know each other until they get to campus. It's a matter of confidence in their persuasion tactics.

i don't know why Everette would take conditional draft picks if they had the opportunity to get the coveted Jones. It's either one of two things imo. 1. Everette doesn't think they can sign him and Portland wants give it a shot and persuade him to their club. or 2. Jones has said he wouldn't play for Everette but would for Portland. in that scenario, you'd think it would be bigger news like they gave up two first round picks or something like that. i don't know how it works in that league. Hope it's scenario #1.

Same diff... That's how they persuade.. :)

I would hope that a person that is primed to make millions isn't going to be persuaded by one or two hundred thousand. I would hope that the decision is the place that best prepares him for the professional level. Unfortunately part of that decision might be to go to the place where he can put up the best numbers to give him the best shot at being the # 1 or # 2 pick, and I don't think that would be at UND.

I would hope that a person that is primed to make millions isn't going to be persuaded by one or two hundred thousand. I would hope that the decision is the place that best prepares him for the professional level. Unfortunately part of that decision might be to go to the place where he can put up the best numbers to give him the best shot at being the # 1 or # 2 pick, and I don't think that would be at UND.

because he would have to play competitive hockey.....