SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

Hasn't it been about two months since Rocco's surgery. Wouldn't it be a super duper good surprise if he appeared on the ice this weekend. I know wont happen just a fun thought.

Probably not. On March 8th he tweeted this:

Saw the doctor today and I can start putting pressure on my leg gradually each day! Praise God for a perfect healing and recovery!

Hasn't it been about two months since Rocco's surgery. Wouldn't it be a super duper good surprise if he appeared on the ice this weekend. I know wont happen just a fun thought.

I agree that would be awesome and I like your thinking but highly unlikely. I remember two years back when Chay had his concussion I thought for sure he would play in the final five but he did not and I am glad he did not for a couple reasons. 1. not fully recovered 2. would have lost his medical waiver for the next year.

You mean the "arena football league" trophy wife? :)

In a day and age where athletes trade up wives like they're buying a new car, I think Kurt Warner should be commended for not "upgrading" after making millions in the NFL.

Back on topic, has Seth Jones made a decision yet?

A guy on the Hockey Futures board had to say about Jones

Had he been born in early September instead of early October he is eligible for this years draft, which makes him likely to be either signed by an NHL team or influenced to play junior so teams have more control of the player and can see him at full training camp. None of that will be in play in this situation as Seth is a late 94 birthday.

If Seth goes to Everett this year he is considered a CHL player and as part of the CHL-NHL agreement he would only be eligible to play in the NHL or Everett during the 2013-2014 season, but if he goes to college next season he could play one year at UND and then either decide to return to college or sign with whatever team drafts him, should he sign he is considered a college player which would allow whatever team that drafts him to send him to their AHL affiliate with the potential to be called up to the NHL at anytime during his first season. I know this has all been discussed to him by his advisers, now the ball is in his court.

Everett put on the fullcourt press to try and get him to come this season and he didn't come. They will surely try again this summer. I don't think money will be a factor, and no matter where this kid plays this coming year he will be a very, very high pick in 2013.

http://hfboards.hock...t=662734&page=7

RE: CHL vs College - I thought these stats were interesting

2009-10 - Minnesota State - 38 GP - 11 G - 8 A - 19 Pts - 27 PIM

2010-11 - Medicine Hat - 56 GP - 27 G - 35 A - 62 Pts - 31 PIM

2011-12 - OKC/AHL - 47 GP - 6 G - 9 A - 15 Pts - 24 PIM

This player had WCHA and CHL experience.

From the stats, it looks like the WCHA is a tougher league to play in vs. the WHL, which allegedly where all the skill players go.

The point is that there are no absolutes - both paths have pluses and minuses.

You can take either path and become an NHL star, or an AHL/ECHL/EuroLeague journeyman. One path gets you diploma. You be the judge.

From the stats, it looks like the WCHA is a tougher league to play in vs. the WHL, which allegedly where all the skill players go.

You can take either path and become an NHL star, or an AHL/ECHL/EuroLeague journeyman. One path gets you diploma. You be the judge.

I appreciate your diplomacy in this debate. You are absolutely correct in asserting that both have pluses and minuses. I do neec to call out a little flaw in the logic on your player stats...the player is a year older, and it is possible that the player has a different role on the CHL team than he did for the landcows (special teams, etc). If I assume that the player was an 11 goal scoring freshman in the WCHA, that is a VERY good freshman.

Would David Toews have been one of our top 4 or 5 scorers last year? Would Josh Reinholz have been the leading scorer at Minnesota this year? Would J.T. Miller have been our leading scorer this year? I think the resounding answer to those questions would be no, which speaks volumes.

I appreciate your diplomacy in this debate. You are absolutely correct in asserting that both have pluses and minuses. I do neec to call out a little flaw in the logic on your player stats...the player is a year older, and it is possible that the player has a different role on the CHL team than he did for the landcows (special teams, etc). If I assume that the player was an 11 goal scoring freshman in the WCHA, that is a VERY good freshman.

It's like this for everybody, though. Look at Charlie Coyle who left BU earlier this year. WCHA is FAR tougher than the CHL because the players are often around 4 years older than most of the players in the CHL. This is why the really "skilled" players go the CHL route. The competition isn't as tough so they can rack up some major points and help draft status

Think I have a pretty good idea who this player is.

Pattyn is a better player than Mario is right now without question. I love how he plays. Tough, physical, in your face. Personally, I think Mario is one of the worst players on the team skill wise. As far as Jones goes, if he comes here you deal with a log jam in the dcorps. Its one of those good problems to have. We had the same problem last year and it worked out pretty well for us. Many teams would love to have 2 dmen that are considered studs. We could have 4 or 5 with Jones.

Mario may have intangible leadership, but he never scores and takes stupid penalties that hurt the team

Like I said before......whatever way he decides......DO IT already!

I think he needs to do it on his timetable not a timetable to appease anxious fans. Really as long as he decides by early summer there shouldn't be a problem for UND, as I don't think they are looking for another recruit to fill that slot as they already have Paul LaDue they can bring in should they want another defenseman. If he comes, it is just icing on the cake.