SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

Portland is known for being the fast track to the NHL. Even though I think the OHL is better.

Just check out their list of ex-players: http://winterhawks.com/page/alumni

Wherever Mr. Jones goes I'd expect he'd play there for one season, get drafted in 2013, and then play in the AHL/NHL the fall of 2013.

It would have been great to see him in Grand Forks and it's not completely ruled out but his trade to Portland makes the odds of him coming much worse.

Everett, WA -- a Seattle suburb.

Seattle -- a town without an NBA team.

Portland?

You mean that west coast city that is home to an NBA team?

What's Seth's dad do again?

Something about "NBA assistant coach with NJN" ...

Hmmm ... interesting coincidence ...

There are not many (if any) 19 year old dmen who will play on an olympic team. Toews was 20 (I think?), a forward, and a once in a generation talent. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

I know it is weird to read that but here are the US defenseman from the 2010 Olympics, I included alternates as well. Rafalski, Suter, Martin, Komisarek, E. Johnson, Orpik, J. Johnson, Whitney, Gleason, Niskanen, Hainsey, Goligoski, Carle, Scuderi. As you can see, not a great list. The only absolute lock I see is Ryan Suter and Keith Yandle, who was not even named an alternate last time. If Jones keeps progressing he could make the team. Toews was 20, and on Team Canada which was even more impressive but a generational talent? I don't think so. The only player in the league that someday might be considered a generational talent is Sidney Crosby, but he isn't there yet.

I know it is weird to read that but here are the US defenseman from the 2010 Olympics, I included alternates as well. Rafalski, Suter, Martin, Komisarek, E. Johnson, Orpik, J. Johnson, Whitney, Gleason, Niskanen, Hainsey, Goligoski, Carle, Scuderi. As you can see, not a great list. The only absolute lock I see is Ryan Suter and Keith Yandle, who was not even named an alternate last time. If Jones keeps progressing he could make the team. Toews was 20, and on Team Canada which was even more impressive but a generational talent? I don't think so. The only player in the league that someday might be considered a generational talent is Sidney Crosby, but he isn't there yet.

we will have to agree to disagree, on both jones and toews. crosby is sick, when he is actually playing, but if i'm starting an nhl franchise, i build it around toews. there are some better scorers in the nhl than toews, but he's the best hockey player in the league (i might think differently IF Crosby was healthy, but he's one big hit from never playing hockey again)

we will have to agree to disagree, on both jones and toews. crosby is sick, when he is actually playing, but if i'm starting an nhl franchise, i build it around toews. there are some better scorers in the nhl than toews, but he's the best hockey player in the league (i might think differently IF Crosby was healthy, but he's one big hit from never playing hockey again)

Toews is just as liable being one big hit way from never playing hockey again. Toews has had 2 concussions in the last 2 years or less.

Toews is just as liable being one big hit way from never playing hockey again. Toews has had 2 concussions in the last 2 years or less.

this is true, and he missed some time due to them, but he didn't miss an entire season. concussions are like any career ending injury, you can't predict when, or even what will cause it. crosby's most recent relapse this season seemed to come from some pretty innocuous contact.

i prefer college hockey over canadian juniors just as much as the next guy but to say portland is brainwashing kids to sign there is being a bit misinformed. portland is the premier team in the WHL. they have had very high talent the last few years (last year they had 2 of the top 5 nhl picks from the 2010 draft).. if he wants to go canadian juniors- portland is the perfect place for him. they also have mild winters (40s-50s).. which probably doesnt hurt recruiting jones from the sounds of it.

i prefer college hockey over canadian juniors just as much as the next guy but to say portland is brainwashing kids to sign there is being a bit misinformed. portland is the premier team in the WHL. they have had very high talent the last few years (last year they had 2 of the top 5 nhl picks from the 2010 draft).. if he wants to go canadian juniors- portland is the perfect place for him. they also have mild winters (40s-50s).. which probably doesnt hurt recruiting jones from the sounds of it.

I'm not misinformed. I've heard the garbage spouted off by major junior teams. I know all about what kind of team Portland is. They're a solid junior team. Doesn't mean they don't pitch their program to some parents and feed them BS.

• Upvote 1

I wish he would come to UND to but I can see how he might feel Portland is his best option. Also for a kid who really for all intent purposes probably won't need an education it really doesn't make sense to just come to college for one year. Don't get me wrong some do it and he may choose that option but it just seems not likely. Why add the extra pressure of school.

I wish he would come to UND to but I can see how he might feel Portland is his best option. Also for a kid who really for all intent purposes probably won't need an education it really doesn't make sense to just come to college for one year. Don't get me wrong some do it and he may choose that option but it just seems not likely. Why add the extra pressure of school.

Exactly.

Not to knock on any certain players, but top end guys like Jones aren't choosing tough majors because they expect to play in the NHL. I'm sorry, but 'intro into anything' classes aren't causing these kids or any college student any great amount of stress. I don't think him going anywhere but UND is a good decision. But I am a little biased ;)

The future NHLers would be wise to take an introductory personal finance/investments course (with the rate professional athletes declare bankruptcy). Very basic, simple things.... but things most people don't know or think of. I recall Oshie and several others being in my class.

I've seen some comments from Portland fans hoping that Jones pays a visit and catches a game to help encourage him to choose the WHL. I really hope he does visit their arena before making a decision, as that would make UND and The Ralph a LOCK!!! No way the WHL can compete with UND's facilities. If Jones wants to get ready for the NHL, he'd be best served by getting on the UND weight-training program and spending the next year in the finest facility in the US. :D

I'm betting that they have him visit a game at the Rose Garden, as they play a good number of their games there.

well the last sentence of may previous statement still applies....

The memorial coliseum is a dump....don't know why a kid would want to play there.

And that's where he'd be practicing/spending most of his time

I love UND, but I am not going to badmouth Portland. It is a great city and he is choosing from 2 good programs, I think UND has a ton to offer and hopes he chooses the college route.

I agree, it would be nice to see him in the Ralph for a year. I'm just glad he isn't "JT Millering" us.