SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

Portland is known for being the fast track to the NHL. Even though I think the OHL is better.

Just check out their list of ex-players: http://winterhawks.com/page/alumni

Wherever Mr. Jones goes I'd expect he'd play there for one season, get drafted in 2013, and then play in the AHL/NHL the fall of 2013.

It would have been great to see him in Grand Forks and it's not completely ruled out but his trade to Portland makes the odds of him coming much worse.

I only counted 10 current players on that list, and it's not exactly a Who's Who of the NHL.

• Upvote 1

I know it is weird to read that but here are the US defenseman from the 2010 Olympics, I included alternates as well. Rafalski, Suter, Martin, Komisarek, E. Johnson, Orpik, J. Johnson, Whitney, Gleason, Niskanen, Hainsey, Goligoski, Carle, Scuderi. As you can see, not a great list. The only absolute lock I see is Ryan Suter and Keith Yandle, who was not even named an alternate last time. If Jones keeps progressing he could make the team. Toews was 20, and on Team Canada which was even more impressive but a generational talent? I don't think so. The only player in the league that someday might be considered a generational talent is Sidney Crosby, but he isn't there yet.

How about an all Gopher Olympic D Corp of Johnson, Leopold, Martin, Ballard, Goligoski, and Leddy? :)

How about an all Gopher Olympic D Corp of Johnson, Leopold, Martin, Ballard, Goligoski, and Leddy? :)

With Erik Johnson's declining play, and unless Goligoski or Leddy get drastically better defensively, I don't see any of those player's on the 2014 Olympic Team. I think guys like Kevin Shattenkirk, Jack Johnson, Ryan Suter, Ryan Whitney, Keith Yandle, Ryan McDonagh, Matt Carle, Brooks Orpik, Tyler Myers, Dustin Byfuglien, John Carlson, and Tim Gleason will all be top contender's for spots as well as guys like Rob Scuderi, Cam Fowler, Matt Niskanen, Jake Gardiner, John-Michael Liles, Zach Bogosian, Justin Faulk and Jamie McBain if they progress.

If I had to pick 7 right now it would be:

Ryan Suter, Keith Yandle, Ryan McDonagh, John Carlson, Jack Johnson, Kevin Shattenkirk, and one of Ryan Whitney, Brooks Orpik, Dustin Byfuglien or Tyler Myers as the 7th.

Back on topic. So is it a done deal that Seth will be going to Portland? I haven't heard much outside of Everett giving rights for Portland to talk to Seth. My thought is he is going to Portland but I have not seen where he has offically stated that.

It's far from a done deal. Portland only has the rights to talk to him. If Portland strikes a deal with him, then Portland has to make another deal with Everett to officially transfer is rights to them. As far as what we know right now, he hasn't made up his mind. Everybody is just assuming he's given up on UND.

With Erik Johnson's declining play, and unless Goligoski or Leddy get drastically better defensively, I don't see any of those player's on the 2014 Olympic Team. I think guys like Kevin Shattenkirk, Jack Johnson, Ryan Suter, Ryan Whitney, Keith Yandle, Ryan McDonagh, Matt Carle, Brooks Orpik, Tyler Myers, Dustin Byfuglien, John Carlson, and Tim Gleason will all be top contender's for spots as well as guys like Rob Scuderi, Cam Fowler, Matt Niskanen, Jake Gardiner, John-Michael Liles, Zach Bogosian, Justin Faulk and Jamie McBain if they progress.

Ryan Suter, Keith Yandle, Ryan McDonagh, John Carlson, Jack Johnson, Kevin Shattenkirk, and one of Ryan Whitney, Brooks Orpik, Dustin Byfuglien or Tyler Myers as the 7th.

How come no one has mentioned Matt Greene. He might be a perfect Olympic Player.

Does anyone know why Seth's brother left DU? I have followed many a Sioux season but in the last 5yrs I don't ever remember hearing of a Jones at DU. That certainly doesn't mean he didn't I just don't recall a Jones playing for DU. So my other question is was/is his older brother any good?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin or Goligoski on the Olympic team, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see them left off either.

Does anyone know why Seth's brother left DU? I have followed many a Sioux season but in the last 5yrs I don't ever remember hearing of a Jones at DU. That certainly doesn't mean he didn't I just don't recall a Jones playing for DU. So my other question is was/is his older brother any good?

Couldn't crack the lineup at DU. Went back to the NAHL. I'm sure he was decent, but I'd guess a borderline D1 player at best. This is just what I'm deducing without ever seeing him play. I have also assumed this was DU's attempt to get a package deal.