SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

I guess I need to elaborate;

is he a big physical machine?, you know like greene or commodore?

Is he a sniper like Hale?

Is he a crafty skater like Genoway?

Is he a see the angles shutdown penalty killer like Chorney?

He is big and strong and physical AND he is also excellent offensively. His upside comparisons are to guys like Chris Pronger

I sorta wonder if the de-commitments of Miles Koules and Stefan Matteau has lessened Seth Jones' interest in playing for UND?

I think that if those 2 would've honored their commitments, the chances of Jones coming here would've been very high than compared to now.

I sorta wonder if the de-commitments of Miles Koules and Stefan Matteau has lessened Seth Jones' interest in playing for UND?

I think that if those 2 would've honored their commitments, the chances of Jones coming here would've been very high than compared to now.

We'll see... think it's time for the coaching staff to not focus too much on recruiting players from the US Development team. Don't get me wrong, they're some great players that go there and develop to become top notch recruits, but over the last few years you've seen way too many of these players de-commit from college thinking the grass is greener on the other side in the WHL. In reality, I've been following recruits for years, tons of players choose the WHL and years later are nowhere near the NHL let alone, making an impact in the NHL.

I think the college student-athelte part gets to these kids too. Now, granted they can take super easy classes at college, but one needs to realize these kids at the development team get things served to them on a silver platter, they all each think they're superstars in their own world when they get the invite to attend and play on the US team. I truly think it comes down to a maturity issue and the character these kids choose to represent at their time there and after, whether it's going and staying true to your word with a college or going to the WHL.

Non Development team related, but there's only been a handful of young kids I've seen growing up that you knew would be superstars.

Toews, Oshie, Zach Parise, Patrick Kane, Cam Fowler too - When I watched him when he was younger I knew he'd be on the fast track to the NHL.

I guess I need to elaborate;

is he a big physical machine?, you know like greene or commodore?

Is he a sniper like Hale?

Is he a crafty skater like Genoway?

Is he a see the angles shutdown penalty killer like Chorney?

Hale and sniper.......2 words I never thought I would see in the same sentence?

I do agree that with Koules out that does probably lessen the likely hood of Seth coming. Perhaps Koules got word seth is headed to the WHL and decided he didn't want to be the only one left still going. Whatever the case may be we will move on regardless of what Jones or Koules do.

Hale and sniper.......2 words I never thought I would see in the same sentence?

He is big and strong and physical AND he is also excellent offensively. His upside comparisons are to guys like Chris Pronger

Same with "Pronger" and "upside" when trying to give someone a compliment.

Really? So being favorably compared to a hall of famer isn't a compliment? Unreal!

First of all, I must have missed the memo when Pronger was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Secondly, maybe I should have used a bunch of "!!!!!" and smiley faces. Relax man, I wasn't being serious. Well, at least not 100% serious!!!! :):ohmy::p:whistling:

We'll see... think it's time for the coaching staff to not focus too much on recruiting players from the US Development team. Don't get me wrong, they're some great players that go there and develop to become top notch recruits, but over the last few years you've seen way too many of these players de-commit from college thinking the grass is greener on the other side in the WHL. In reality, I've been following recruits for years, tons of players choose the WHL and years later are nowhere near the NHL let alone, making an impact in the NHL.

I think the college student-athelte part gets to these kids too. Now, granted they can take super easy classes at college, but one needs to realize these kids at the development team get things served to them on a silver platter, they all each think they're superstars in their own world when they get the invite to attend and play on the US team. I truly think it comes down to a maturity issue and the character these kids choose to represent at their time there and after, whether it's going and staying true to your word with a college or going to the WHL.

Non Development team related, but there's only been a handful of young kids I've seen growing up that you knew would be superstars.

Toews, Oshie, Zach Parise, Patrick Kane, Cam Fowler too - When I watched him when he was younger I knew he'd be on the fast track to the NHL.

You didn't watch Fowler when he was younger. Sorry son.

First of all, I must have missed the memo when Pronger was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Secondly, maybe I should have used a bunch of "!!!!!" and smiley faces. Relax man, I wasn't being serious. Well, at least not 100% serious!!!! :):ohmy::p:whistling:

I took it with tongue and cheek :) Obviously everyone who plays against Pronger hates him, and everyone who plays with him or is a fan of the team he is playing on loves him. A huge, physical dman who has a deep, deep mean steak who also can QB the power play and when healthy and in his prime could put up 40-60 points...everybody wants that guy.

You didn't watch Fowler when he was younger. Sorry son.

Maybe you know the facts...I was thinking he was probably talking about international play from say 16-20...who knows, maybe he is an OHL follower.

I consider myself fairly knowledgable about some of these kids, but it is usually through watching international play. Obviously they had to have impressed in minor, midget or bantam before ever getting that chance...Fowler did impress me in the WJC, and I know the numbers he put up in the OHL. From that alone he looked like a sure fire NHL player...

Fowler was a standout at the U-18s in Fargo back in 2009. Whatever "it" is you could see he had "it".

That's where I saw him play. Yeah, you definitely knew he'd be in the NHL in a short period of time. On a side note, I met his mom and sister at that tournament. Ha, random.

That's where I saw him play. Yeah, you definitely knew he'd be in the NHL in a short period of time. On a side note, I met his mom and sister at that tournament. Ha, random.

Random? I sat next to a Devils scout for a couple games at the same tournament. Heck of nice Stanley Cup Champions ring he had. Interesting to see and hear what those guys look for.

Alrighty folks. I think some news from this weekend will pretty much give us the writing on the wall about Seth. Since his buddy Koules decided to go to the W and Seth visiting Portland over the weekend it looks like we have lost out in the Seth Jones sweepstakes. I am sure by the end of the week we will have something official. Good luck Seth and I (we) appreciate you looking at UND.

It's probably not fair to Seth to lump him into this current group of NTDP kids spurning college. He's been clear about his decision making process and hasn't actually backed out on anyone. He's actually doing what most on this board wish the other kids would to - take the time to make a solid, informed decision.

Alrighty folks. I think some news from this weekend will pretty much give us the writing on the wall about Seth. Since his buddy Koules decided to go to the W and Seth visiting Portland over the weekend it looks like we have lost out in the Seth Jones sweepstakes. I am sure by the end of the week we will have something official. Good luck Seth and I (we) appreciate you looking at UND.