SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

Anyone willing to be 'that guy' to tweet this to Mr. Jones?? I just can't muster doing it haha. Anyone? Anyone? :D

Actually, according to the UND compliance office, apparently it's illegal to tweet recruits about where they want to go? Someone already inquired about this earlier this week and I saw the email about this.

Actually, according to the UND compliance office, apparently it's illegal to tweet recruits about where they want to go? Someone already inquired about this earlier this week and I saw the email about this.

The NCAA is very strict about boosters contacting or recruiting students. The best policy is to do nothing beyond watching their games.

The NCAA is very strict about boosters contacting or recruiting students. The best policy is to do nothing beyond watching their games.

I think we (the minority) in the college hockey world have little to worry about. This isn't big time $$$ like college football or basketball, where a vast majority of recruiting violations and allegations take place.

I think we (the minority) in the college hockey world have little to worry about. This isn't big time $$$ like college football or basketball, where a vast majority of recruiting violations and allegations take place.

All it takes is 1 case of a booster making a contact in violation of the rules. Don't you think that the NCAA might be watching UND a little closer than normal because of the sanctions? Especially in a very public forum like Twitter? The violation could result in the athlete being ineligible, further sanctions against UND or something else.

Notre Dame has a very good page dedicated to the subject, http://ncaacompliance.nd.edu/boosters.shtml.

Why is it so important boosters be educated?

Boosters Can Cause Violations! Only countable coaches are authorized to recruit. Supporters of Notre Dame are prohibited from contacting a prospective student-athlete and cannot participate in recruiting conversations. Boosters continue to reach out to prospective student-athletes, their families or friends. In particular, social media such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter have created an open forum for boosters to overstep NCAA boundaries. Notre Dame does NOT condone this contact.

It is necessary for the NCAA and Notre Dame Compliance to regulate social media. Otherwise, we would be unable to maintain a level playing field for recruiting consistency as some coaches and programs receive more prevalent support than others.

Boosters are prohibited from any contact with a recruit, unless a recruit contacts the booster, and even then, the booster is not allowed to discuss recruiting. NCAA rules do not allow comments about possible recruits on an institution’s social media page or a page belonging to someone affiliated with the institution. In addition, these pages cannot feature photos of prospects and messages cannot be sent to recruits using these social media technologies other than through their e-mail function.

Don't know if you are saying stuff like that probably wouldn't happen like big-time programs, or the NCAA wouldn't care. Either way, I don't agree. If you listen to some of the casual fans that call up the coaches show and ask about recruits that aren't signed, and it makes you wonder how many other things they do that goes unnoticed. I also have no doubt that the NCAA would act in any circumstance, especially if it were called to their attention by some rivals' fans. So it is best for fans to be fans and leave selling UND to the coaches. Because when all is said and done, do we really believe that a sign or something is going to trigger a recruit to attend UND with an inner voice saying "they like me, they really really like me"?

• Upvote 2

The way I look at it is that it's college hockey. The NCAA couldn't give 2 s**ts about fans tweeting people that may be recruits to their favorite team just because it is hockey. I'd honestly like to know if an NCAA hockey team has ever been in trouble for recruiting violations. I know that violations undoubtably happen at just about every school whether you like to admit it or not, but I just don't think the NCAA cares about hockey.

I saw a thing last summer that said the NCAA literally doesn't have enough compliance officers to deal with football (I think it said they have like 15 total), let alone adding in basketball and all the other sports.

Like I said, my opinion is that they could care less about hockey.

Edit: I saw UNH got hit with 2 years probation for recruiting violations in 09, but that's only because the school reported the findings themself

I'm just going to chime in and say that I think there are some things you should just not tweet at committed or prospective recruits. I've seen some tweets on twitter and all I think is, "why would you tweet that at (fill in blank)?"

Though, I also don't think people should tweet current players and call them names either. Another case of inappropriate tweeting. But I digress.

Just my thoughts.

• Upvote 1

That was the just of the email I read this past week that I have since deleted by accident.

The way I look at it is that it's college hockey. The NCAA couldn't give 2 s**ts about fans tweeting people that may be recruits to their favorite team just because it is hockey. I'd honestly like to know if an NCAA hockey team has ever been in trouble for recruiting violations. I know that violations undoubtably happen at just about every school whether you like to admit it or not, but I just don't think the NCAA cares about hockey.

I saw a thing last summer that said the NCAA literally doesn't have enough compliance officers to deal with football (I think it said they have like 15 total), let alone adding in basketball and all the other sports.

Like I said, my opinion is that they could care less about hockey.

Edit: I saw UNH got hit with 2 years probation for recruiting violations in 09, but that's only because the school reported the findings themself

Why would anyone be stupid enough to take a chance? Especially at a school that is already fighting with the NCAA.

I have no interest in tweeting any of these kids,

However I find it difficult to think that a private individual can be commanded by a private institution to not express an opinion in an open forum.

When was the NCAA given the jurisdiction to usurp an individuals right to free speech....

Can u imagine the hornets nest......If sanctions followed tweets...

Say some gopher rube tweets up a top UND prospect on a twitter account claiming to be a UND fan then reports such tweets to a compliance officer....said prospect is punished said school is sanctioned and the prospect chooses to go MJ instead of deal with it.....

I see a world were crap like this is very possible.

I have no interest in tweeting any of these kids,

However I find it difficult to think that a private individual can be commanded by a private institution to not express an opinion in an open forum.

When was the NCAA given the jurisdiction to usurp an individuals right to free speech....

Can u imagine the hornets nest......If sanctions followed tweets...

Say some gopher rube tweets up a top UND prospect on a twitter account claiming to be a UND fan then reports such tweets to a compliance officer....said prospect is punished said school is sanctioned and the prospect chooses to go MJ instead of deal with it.....

I see a world were crap like this is very possible.

The NCAA does a very thorough investigation. They would investigate said "fan" that did the tweet and find out that they weren't really a UND fan.

The NCAA does a very thorough investigation. They would investigate said "fan" that did the tweet and find out that they weren't really a UND fan.

Not only that--very few gopher fans know how to use twitter yet, so you could pretty much rule them out.

Defining a Booster

Who is a Representative of Athletics Interests?

The NCAA broadly defines a "booster" as an individual, agency, entity or organization who is known by an institution to:

Ive really never paid attention you these NCAA rules before readingo this thread..

I have a question, What constitutes being a "booster"?

I would say that most of us that donate to the Fighting Sioux booster would probably qualify as a booster.

oost·er (boomacr.gifprime.gifstschwa.gifr)

n.

1. One that boosts, as:

a. A device for increasing power or effectiveness.

b. An enthusiastic promoter, as of a sports team or school.

c. Electronics A radio-frequency amplifier.

d. The primary stage of a multistage rocket that provides the main thrust for launch, liftoff, and initial flight.

2. A booster shot.

3. Slang One who steals goods on display in a store.

I agree, let the young man make his decision on his own, but I don't think there's any way an NCAA investigation could reveal a person's true intentions so I disagree with all the talk about the NCAA investigating whether or not a person is really a fan of one team or another.

I think some people are getting carried away if they think the NCAA could or would do something like that.

I agree, let the young man make his decision on his own, but I don't think there's any way an NCAA investigation could reveal a person's true intentions so I disagree with all the talk about the NCAA investigating whether or not a person is really a fan of one team or another.

I think some people are getting carried away if they think the NCAA could or would do something like that.

NCAA does not need to know intentions. They only need to know if a person has ever donated money to the university, is an alumnus, is a university employee, student, season ticket holder, or otherwise has some link to the university. That info they can get from the university. If there is no link at all then it is probably okay. They do not need to know if the person is a fan of another team. It would be extremely naive to test the NCAA intentions in anything.