SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

Fellas;

We (fans) need to act like the big time program we are.

We recruit the best players in NA eligible to play college hockey. Some of our recruits are so good, they are also coveted by the CHL, "supposedly" the best development league in the world.

Some of these players choose the CHL, some choose UND. Be impressed that we are in the mix when the best talent in the world for their age (ex. SJ) is deciding where best to continue his/their hockey development.

We run with the big dogs - we can't/won't get them all.

We will get the players that are comfortable with the college environment and realize they will train/develop at a world class facility with world class coaches behind the bench - and not be concerned primarily about their draft status/getting CHL exposure.

We don't need that type here anyway.

• Upvote 4

It's probably not fair to Seth to lump him into this current group of NTDP kids spurning college. He's been clear about his decision making process and hasn't actually backed out on anyone. He's actually doing what most on this board wish the other kids would to - take the time to make a solid, informed decision.

I totally agree. In fact he should be the example of how to handle yourself during the recruiting process.

Until I hear Mr. Jones makes his choice, I will continue to presume he is smarter than Koules, Matteau and Miller.

Really, why would you want to prepare yourself for the NHL by playing against 16 year olds in juniors when you can play against 25 year olds in the WCHA?

The playoff beards at the Juniors are sad. :)

Until I hear Mr. Jones makes his choice, I will continue to presume he is smarter than Koules, Matteau and Miller.

Really, why would you want to prepare yourself for the NHL by playing against 16 year olds in juniors when you can play against 25 year olds in the WCHA?

The playoff beards at the Juniors are sad. :)

Because he'll look much better playing against 16 year olds than 25 year olds, therefore making sure that his draft status stays high

its a bit of a misconception that the WHL is full of 16 year olds. there are 4 winterhawks on their team this year that are younger than jones..while half the winterhawk forwards are 1991/1992s.. putting them at around 20 or 21 years old. some of which are high NHL picks (bartschi/rattie..)

Ding Ding Ding. Nothing like keeping your draft stock high by padding your stats against lesser competition.

Exactly. In reality I believe college will develop you more than MJ's will, but a lot of "super star" recruits go the MJ route in order to throw up huge numbers against lesser competition. Charlie Coyle this year is a prime example of how much better the competition is in college than MJ. He was a solid college player, but he's lighting up major juniors.

On the flip side, kids who go up there at 16/17 are playing a higher level talent than they would be in high school.

I believe Kane dominated the OHL in a year that he started the season as a 17 year old. Crosby 16 and 17. Giroux 17. Modano 16/17. Langenbrunner skipped his senior year at Cloquet to go up to the O.

If you haven't finished high school yet, and are a great hockey player, the CHL will pit you against the best competition you can play against. Now if you are 18 and done with high school, that is a different story, but if you are 16...well-

I do realize that the USHL has grown/improved since the Modano and Langenbrunner days

Because he'll look much better playing against 16 year olds than 25 year olds, therefore making sure that his draft status stays high

It was meant with tongue somewhat in cheek; I am very aware of the value of grade inflation.

Battling a kid like Bjugstad (who should be playing in the NHL this fall) instead of a 16 year old version of Chad Rau (not the 20 year old version he would see next year) will PREPARE him for the NHL, instead of the AHL.

It was meant with tongue somewhat in cheek; I am very aware of the value of grade inflation.

Battling a kid like Bjugstad (who should be playing in the NHL this fall) instead of a 16 year old version of Chad Rau (not the 20 year old version he would see next year) will PREPARE him for the NHL, instead of the AHL.

You mean Kyle Rau, as Chad is in the MN Wild system.

I keep wondering when the end of this thread will be.

For some reason you are under the delusion that it may end when Jones announces his decision, or shortly thereafter. That might be possible during the season, but not over the summer hockey doldrums. There are enough conspiracy theorists on this board to keep it going until the first exhibition game in October.

I almost don't want Jones to come to UND because if he comes, I have a feeling that Gleason would be sitting and I don't think that would be right. I don't see them sitting MacWilliam, Forbort, Simpson, Mattson, or Schmaltz. I do hope they sit Pannzerrela before Gleason if Jones doesn't come.

I almost don't want Jones to come to UND because if he comes, I have a feeling that Gleason would be sitting and I don't think that would be right. I don't see them sitting MacWilliam, Forbort, Simpson, Mattson, or Schmaltz. I do hope they sit Pannzerrela before Gleason if Jones doesn't come.

I would bet that Gleason will be in the lineup regardless of if Jones comes or not.

He's too dynamic of a player to keep out...I like him better as a dman just because he has the ability to easily skate the puck out of the d-zone if the pass isn't there.

• Upvote 1

I would bet that Gleason will be in the lineup regardless of if Jones comes or not.

He's too dynamic of a player to keep out...I like him better as a dman just because he has the ability to easily skate the puck out of the d-zone if the pass isn't there.

So if we have enough healthy forwards and jones comes in and gleason plays, who sits?

If Jones ends up at UND than I'm guessing that Mr. Gleason will end up spending time as a forward as long as the defensive corps stays healthy. He's proved he can get it done at both ends of the rink, and is a very valuable part of the team in whatever role he takes.

If we're talking about who possibly sits for Gleason to play up front then depth won't be an issue. This is a good thing.

It does mean that Jim and Pattyn likely sit in the stands for quite a few games.

So if we have enough healthy forwards and jones comes in and gleason plays, who sits?

It probably means that everyone gets a day off once in a while. Plus, someone gets hurt every year. There will be plenty of playing time for Gleason.

Seth Jones' brother, Caleb, was drafted by Portland in their Bantam draft the other day. Package deal perhaps? They could be just trying to sweeten the pot to lure him. I wish he would decide soon so we can move on from this whatever the outcome.