SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

Scouts understand how hard it is for a freshman to play in the NCAA, especially a d-man. It doesn't matter where he plays next year, he will be an extremely high draft pick and ultimately an NHL player. The only person I can compare his situation to is Erik Johnson's, except that Johnson played in the NCAA at 18 whereas Jones would play at 17. Johnson put up 24 points his freshman year at Minnesota, not exactly lighting the world on fire but nonetheless extremely good numbers for a freshman defenseman. If Jones could put up those numbers while playing dominant defense, he will be a Top-2 pick next year.

It would be interesting to know what the "conditional" part of the trade is.

Could it be that Everett found out he wasn't coming there, and made a trade with Portland to give them a chance to sign him, but the trade is coningent on them actually signing him?

I don't know enough about how these conditional trades work. Does anybody know if this is a possibility?

It would be interesting to know what the "conditional" part of the trade is.

Could it be that Everett found out he wasn't coming there, and made a trade with Portland to give them a chance to sign him, but the trade is coningent on them actually signing him?

I don't know enough about how these conditional trades work. Does anybody know if this is a possibility?

I think that is what "conditional" means, if Portland is unable to sign Jones, then Everett gets nothing in return. Remember right now this is just a trade to "talk" to Jones, Portland still has to acquire his rights from Everett in order to sign him.

I miss you already Seth. It's like the hot girl in class always giving you a feeling you have a chance. Until she leaves with the captain of the hockey team. We will be fine without him. There are still many good looking girls in class.

I miss you already Seth. It's like the hot girl in class always giving you a feeling you have a chance. Until she leaves with the captain of the hockey team. We will be fine without him. There are still many good looking girls in class.

...and the captain of the hockey team gave the hot girl a nice big stack of cash under the table to go with him

If this is indeed true and Seth is going the WHL route, which I am assuming, then I wish him the best of luck. Also, I would like to thank him about how he handled this whole process. Instead of committing to UND and using it as leverage he carefully weighed his options over a long period of time. To all future recruits, the way Seth Jones handled his situation is the way all of you should. Weigh your options and make your decision when you are 100% sure about it. I would like to thank him for his interest in UND and I fully expect to be cheering him on for Team USA at the 2014 Olympics, and no that is not a typo, I really do believe he will be on the US Olympic team at age 19.

If this is indeed true and Seth is going the WHL route, which I am assuming, then I wish him the best of luck. Also, I would like to thank him about how he handled this whole process. Instead of committing to UND and using it as leverage he carefully weighed his options over a long period of time. To all future recruits, the way Seth Jones handled his situation is the way all of you should. Weigh your options and make your decision when you are 100% sure about it. I would like to thank him for his interest in UND and I fully expect to be cheering him on for Team USA at the 2014 Olympics, and no that is not a typo, I really do believe he will be on the US Olympic team at age 19.

I agree that he handled the situation properly by not committing to UND and then backing out, however, it would still appear he used UND as leverage to get himself traded to Portland....

I agree that he handled the situation properly by not committing to UND and then backing out, however, it would still appear he used UND as leverage to get himself traded to Portland....

He's learning about "life" pretty quickly. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

...and the captain of the hockey team gave the hot girl a nice big stack of cash under the table to go with him

You know what that's called don't you?

If not, ask the Secret Service. They're brutally familiar with the term lately. ;)

however, it would still appear he used UND as leverage to get himself traded to Portland....

Indeed, it does. It went from being a supposed choice of Everett or UND to neither but instead a whole new choice in Portland? :huh:

Ah well, at least he didn't pull a JT Miller on us. Landing Ian McCoshen would make me feel a bit better on losing out on the Setb Jones sweepstakes. Lol.

...and I fully expect to be cheering him on for Team USA at the 2014 Olympics, and no that is not a typo, I really do believe he will be on the US Olympic team at age 19.

There are not many (if any) 19 year old dmen who will play on an olympic team. Toews was 20 (I think?), a forward, and a once in a generation talent. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

I don't see anything in here that indicates Jones has been anything but upfront with the UND staff. Until the last couple of days the consensus was that Jones had been above board and handled everything professionally and ethically. I see nothing that's changed that.

We'll just have to see how things play out. But it's apparent Everett is out of the picture. Don't know if that's good or bad for UND. But as long as he's been up front with the coaches, and I assume that's the case until we hear otherwise, then good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do.