SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Flip this to the Ottawa POV:

They know what Wolanin looked like in college when they brought him in. And frankly, Wolanin needed the fourth year of college polish to his game but didn't get it. 

With that history, and you have to figure Sanderson wants another WJC, I'd hope Sanderson does a second year of college.

After that, all bets are off. 

Seeing the dumpster fire that is Ottawa and Buffalo, I'd stay at UND as long as I can because its not getting better at Ottawa.

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yes, that would not be good. I think Johnson could probably come in along with L. Bast and likely Morrow. 

So, that would leave us with:

Sanderson, Frisch, Kleven, Moore, L. Bast, Morrow, and Johnson.

Yep. This rule could change things big time for many, many teams.

This is what I'm most curious about myself. I think Berry and the staff (along with most other coaches) will be looking quite hard at the transfer portal and this is where I think some of the biggest recruiting battles may take place in the next few months. I not crazy about the forwards we will likely lose and their replacements coming in to replace that production so it would be nice to land a few higher caliber, more experienced forwards.

43 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

This is what I'm most curious about myself. I think Berry and the staff (along with most other coaches) will be looking quite hard at the transfer portal and this is where I think some of the biggest recruiting battles may take place in the next few months. I not crazy about the forwards we will likely lose and their replacements coming in to replace that production so it would be nice to land a few higher caliber, more experienced forwards.

It'd be awesome if a few of our current seniors stuck around for another year as well, but not holding my breath.
I could see Bast stick around to play a year with his brother.  Or Thome sticking around if Scheel leaves early.
But on top of that, it'd be cool to see Adams or Mismash, etc maybe play another year.  They're both excellent college players but could be dominant next season.

It's gonna be a very interesting offseason for many teams!

17 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

When I watch Sanderson carry a puck up the ice or literally skate circles around people and get multiple Grade A's, I'm reminded of Cale Makar when he played at UMASS.

Agreed skating is identical. Only difference is puck skill and finishing ability (passing/shooting). Sanderson should continue to develop that aspect of his game next year. With his skating there is no way he shouldn't be a point per game guy from the point next year.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed skating is identical. Only difference is puck skill and finishing ability (passing/shooting). Sanderson should continue to develop that aspect of his game next year. With his skating there is no way he should be a point per game guy from the point next year.

Yup, the skating is what I was most noticed.  Agree though, one more year would do wonders. 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

If you guys ever need a good laugh, go read page 199 of this thread. Someone needs to get this to Freezing Cold Takes. 

44 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

eat-crow-300x336.jpg?w=300

OMG that was PHENOMENAL. Weatherby or Pinto as replacements for Gornall :D. Great stuff. 

Lesson learned once again that we all should remember how good Bubbs, Jacks and squad are at their jobs hahaha

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

If you guys ever need a good laugh, go read page 199 of this thread. Someone needs to get this to Freezing Cold Takes. 

Thank you for that hahahaha wow. Pinto is the next Coltyn Sanderson! We don't need any more of those!

Moral of the story: don't get too worked up about recruits on the positive or negative side

13 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Thank you for that hahahaha wow. Pinto is the next Coltyn Sanderson! We don't need any more of those!

Moral of the story: don't get too worked up about recruits on the positive or negative side

Yep! Pinto, Weatherby, Massimo Rizzo, and Ryder Donovan agree :D

42 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

OMG that was PHENOMENAL. Weatherby or Pinto as replacements for Gornall :D. Great stuff. 

Lesson learned once again that we all should remember how good Bubbs, Jacks and squad are at their jobs hahaha

Not that Bubbs is leaving anytime soon, but Dane would be the obvious replacement, correct? Those two are just so darn good at what they do.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

We could use a Coltyn Sanderson on the fourth line right now.

I seem to remember a tip in goal during the 2016 Regional Finals vs Michigan that twisted the knife on the "best line in the country's" season. Coltyn was the epitome of sticking with it for 4 years and taking advantage of his shot when it came. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I seem to remember a tip in goal during the 2016 Regional Finals vs Michigan that twisted the knife on the "best line in the country's" season. Coltyn was the epitome of sticking with it for 4 years and taking advantage of his shot when it came. 

If I remember right he had 5 goals in the second half of the season that year 

When looking at defensive plus minus leaders in the USHL, I noticed that Brent Johnson was high among the leaders at +18, but it looks like none of the other defensemen on Sioux Falls have a positive plus minus.  That doesn’t seem logical, but if the numbers are accurate could be a good indicator of why he is highly regarded.

12 hours ago, tnt said:

When looking at defensive plus minus leaders in the USHL, I noticed that Brent Johnson was high among the leaders at +18, but it looks like none of the other defensemen on Sioux Falls have a positive plus minus.  That doesn’t seem logical, but if the numbers are accurate could be a good indicator of why he is highly regarded.

Did someone on here say his dad was an ex UND player or did I dream that?