SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I could see (hard luck injuries) Bast coming back under the exemption to get a year with his brother. 

I don't see JBD coming back.

I've been figuring three defensemen, and needing at least one the following year. 

As I've noted, if we lose four ... Ethan Frisch becomes the old man of the group. 

D pipeline (by DOB oldest to youngest): Bast, Morrow, Benoit, Johnson, Dunbar, Ausmus 

2 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

Don't we have at least 3 defensemen leaving? (Kiersted, Rieger and Bast) and probably/possibly JBD?

Forgot we probably have another scholarship with Miller’s departure as well.

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

Forgot we probably have another scholarship with Miller’s departure as well.

Louis Jamernik on line one for you.

(When Jamernik came in the traditional 15-8-3 shape of the roster was restored.) 

More wild speculative guessing ... 

D pipeline (six, by DOB oldest to youngest): Bast, Morrow, Benoit, Johnson, Dunbar, Ausmus <- and that's the order I'd guess they'd come in as departures occur (maybe Johnson over Benoit) 

F pipeline (twelve, by DOB, old to young): Portz, Schmaltz, Mongomery, Bowen, Strinden, Kunz, Constantini, Blake, James, Panzer, Singleton, Spicer <--I'd guess that order also with maybe Kunz jumping over Strinden and Constantini jumping over both. (James is the wildcard.) 

I think Johnson is Thome's replacement and Hedquist is Thome's. 

2 hours ago, siouxczech29 said:

Looking at USHL stats; Kunz has good size and seems to have a nose for the net. Looking forward to seeing him at UND. I could see him coming in next year*. Although he may need another year of high school.(?)

*caveat being the possibility of returning seniors.

He’s a senior in high school now, so he could come in the fall. 

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but in discussing these schools it name drops "potential first rounder" Scott Morrow as well as Nate Benoit. Also mentions Parise and Pinto as alum of these schools. Parise is the only one of the four in our typical recruiting footprint.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/get-ready-for-the-prep-hockey-conference

On 3/9/2021 at 4:25 PM, The Sicatoka said:

More wild speculative guessing ... 

D pipeline (six, by DOB oldest to youngest): Bast, Morrow, Benoit, Johnson, Dunbar, Ausmus <- and that's the order I'd guess they'd come in as departures occur (maybe Johnson over Benoit) 

F pipeline (twelve, by DOB, old to young): Portz, Schmaltz, Mongomery, Bowen, Strinden, Kunz, Constantini, Blake, James, Panzer, Singleton, Spicer <--I'd guess that order also with maybe Kunz jumping over Strinden and Constantini jumping over both. (James is the wildcard.) 

I think Johnson is Thome's replacement and Hedquist is Thome's. 

I'm guessing that Scheel is back.  But pretend he was wooed away by an NHL team wanting a big goaltender needing some depth after winning us #9.  That would leave us with.....Maybe Thome.....probably would stay if Scheel left?  Johnson, not having a terrible year in the NAHL.....and Feeney.

Hedquist needs another year or two in the USHL.  Hasn't exactly caught up quite yet, but he's 18 years old too, so he has time.  

Long story short, figure out a way to keep Scheel around for at least one more year.  If he and Thome both were to leave we would be pretty thin in net.   

No worry goalie lineup next year:  Scheel, Johnson, Feeney
Kind of worry goalie lineup next year:  Thome, Johnson, Feeney   

On 3/8/2021 at 7:57 PM, SiouxHawkGuy said:

I’m just curious at what point do incoming hockey players realize the name retired almost a decade ago. All the other programs have figured it out. 

His Dad played at UND. So, he's likely worn a Sioux jersey his whole life and grew up in the culture. Just relax.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but in discussing these schools it name drops "potential first rounder" Scott Morrow as well as Nate Benoit. Also mentions Parise and Pinto as alum of these schools. Parise is the only one of the four in our typical recruiting footprint.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/get-ready-for-the-prep-hockey-conference

I'm hearing a few things about Morrow that I'm not really liking. Wouldn't shock me if he's not in kelly green next season.

40 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

uh oh, is this similar to the MM type character issues?

No, no, no... nothing of that "explosive" type. Take it for what it's worth. He sounds like he's a bit of a handful. With that said, UND is a program that players come to realizing they need to check egos at the door. Hopefully our coaches/locker room can reign him in.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

No, nothing of that "explosive" type. Take it for what it's worth. He sounds like he's a bit of a handful. With that said, UND is a program that players come to realizing they need to check egos at the door. Hopefully our coaches/locker room can reign him in.

And If they can’t he won’t last at UND. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

His Dad played at UND. So, he's likely worn a Sioux jersey his whole life and grew up in the culture. Just relax.

Stop trying to be reasonable. We can't allow that kind of rational thinking on here. The Sioux name and anything relating to it must be erased from history. The ultra sensitive snowflakes will get their feelings hurt and then the Ralph will need to add a safe space room somewhere in the arena.

Go Sioux!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, not ideal. But, Sanderson (assuming/thinking/hoping/praying he stays), Frisch, Kleven, and Moore is a solid start. 

How good will Sanderson be if he stays another year. Watching him play is truly a treat. I haven't seen a guy step up into the offense like that for a while ... probably since Genoway, and as much as I liked Genoway .... those two should not be compared from a skill perspective.

I hope to see him jump into the offense more and more this year, and hopefully into next season as well.

Yeah, not ideal. But, Sanderson (assuming/thinking/hoping/praying he stays), Frisch, Kleven, and Moore is a solid start. 

I think (and really hope) Berry has got to know Sanderson is coming back considering we don’t really have a backup plan at the moment if he doesn’t. I’m sure we could find one if needed but I’d rather not lol. 

I’d like to avoid a Tyson Jost situation where they thought he was coming back and then didn’t. Could set us back again. 

Just now, siouxforce19 said:

I think (and really hope) Berry has got to know Sanderson is coming back considering we don’t really have a backup plan at the moment if he doesn’t. I’m sure we could find one if needed but I’d rather not lol. 

I’d like to avoid a Tyson Jost situation where they thought he was coming back and then didn’t. Could set us back again. 

Big IF, but IF we were to need some short term depth at defense, or any position, there will likely be a lot of skilled transfers available due to the Covid rule.

• Like 1