SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Ethan Bowen is only 18 and does not turn 19 until May. He has 13 points in 12 games this year, and had respectable numbers the last 2 years in the BCHL as an underaged player (2018-19--39 points in 58 games; 2019-20--31 points in 41 games). I don't know how you conclude that he's not ready. I'm guessing he comes in along with Schmaltz, Portz and Kunz. 

This is my opinion as well. He’s got a good shot and is good around the net. Can play bottom 6 or top 6. Can play wing or center. I’d bring him in. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Constantini isn't lighting it up, but you aren't going to have every kid the stud of their team.  He is putting up more PPG than two Duluth commits and probably about 80 percent of the rest of the commitments on the team as well.   It isn't always what they can do in Juniors, as I think our coaches develop players pretty well.   I sure wish we had another year out of Jackson Keane, who didn't rip up either the BCHL or USHL.  

I am fully aware of that. Just saying, the USHL isn't coming easy for him.

As it relates to Bowen, I have followed the BCHL for quite a long time....his numbers don't pop out at me. Typically higher end kids in that league go well above a pt/gm pace. He has never been a pt/gm, even this year (post draft year). Maybe he's more of a role player....that's fine. I simply like to assess what we have coming in. Doesn't look to be a high end recruiting class.

I will say this though....Schmaltz is having a decent year and Kunz has really turned it on too.

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

Ethan Bowen is only 18 and does not turn 19 until May. He has 13 points in 12 games this year, and had respectable numbers the last 2 years in the BCHL as an underaged player (2018-19--39 points in 58 games; 2019-20--31 points in 41 games). I don't know how you conclude that he's not ready. I'm guessing he comes in along with Schmaltz, Portz and Kunz. 

12 pts in 13 games....and those numbers aren't very high considering the league he's playing in. Again, just being honest. He's in his +1 post draft year. There can be other factors at play too (injuries, coaching, team, etc.).

52 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

12 pts in 13 games....and those numbers aren't very high considering the league he's playing in. Again, just being honest. He's in his +1 post draft year. There can be other factors at play too (injuries, coaching, team, etc.).

He is leading his team in scoring, so there is that.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Jakob Hellsten seems like a good add. Nice work bubs and co.

Interesting find this late in the game and in the world we currently live in. Wonder if they have someone they trust over that has seen him play as I can't imagine the staff was able to see him live much if at all recently. 

11 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Interesting find this late in the game and in the world we currently live in. Wonder if they have someone they trust over that has seen him play as I can't imagine the staff was able to see him live much if at all recently. 

His dad is a goaltending coach in the league he played in, probably a degree of trust based on that.

4 hours ago, Quincheezmo said:

According to his elite prospects page, Hellsten’s numbers in Sweden’s J20 superelit league compare favorably to Chrona and Persson. Here’s hoping for similar ncaa performance. 

CHL doesn't allow Euro goalies, unless they changed that, so the NCAA is a route for them to go.

4 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

It’s interesting that Hellsten is NCAA eligible.    This year he played in HockeyEttan, which, from what I’m reading, is a men’s professional league (Sweden’s div 3).  

Chrona (DEN) and Persson (MIA) both played in HockeyEttan before the NCAA/NCHC.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/381263/magnus-chrona
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/329482/ludvig-persson

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

With the new Swedish goalie coming this fall, a sign that Kaleb Johnson never makes it to campus?

Pure speculation by me ... 

2021-22: Driscoll (sr), Hellsten (fr), Feeney (jr)
2022-23: Hellsten(so), Feeney (sr), Johnson (fr)
2023-24: Hellsten (jr), Johnson (so), Hedquist (fr) 

... but to your point it could well become ... 

2021-22: Driscoll (sr), Hellsten (fr), Feeney (jr)
2022-23: Hellsten(so), Feeney (sr), Hedquist (fr) 

I'm guessing a lot is how Johnson and Hedquist develop in 2021-22. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...