SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On 4/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I was shocked to see it, but if his ankle was broken it explains his skipping a few strides.

Gotcha.  I was just confused that no one had mentioned him dominating and that the only comment was that his error led to a goal

On 4/4/2021 at 8:46 AM, Wilbur said:

So now Blake has his state championship wonder what the next step is.  Back to the USHL for the remainder of the season?  As far as next year goes I'm sure he would make the NTPD but not sure if that's something he's even interested in.

He’d be too old for ntdp, he’ll play with Chicago 

About Constantini ... 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/11/18/21565714/buffalo-sabres-matteo-costantini-a-three-game-deep-dive-bchl 

Jumping to the NCAA and specifically to Ottawa’s College Development Program (aka: North Dakota) will be a big leap.

:huh:

:lol:

Welcome to the OCDP. 

40 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://www.ushl.com/view#/player/8017/73/jake-schmaltz

I thought Jake was the cousin of Nick and Jordan. I assume this is wrong?

The USHL site has been wrong on this for years. Jake isn’t even from the same city as Jordan and Nick, so I don’t know why the USHL is going with this. They should Google.  

22 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

The USHL site has been wrong on this for years. Jake isn’t even from the same city as Jordan and Nick, so I don’t know why the USHL is going with this. They should Google.  

Nick and Jordan are Mike Schmaltz's sons. Mike Played WR for UND football in the late 80's.

Jake is Marc Schmaltz's son and Mike's nephew. Marc played LB for UND football in the in the late 80's/early 90's. I think Marc was 1 year behind Mike.

Not sure if the youngest former UND football player Monte has any hockey playing kids.

Watched Fargo and Waterloo last night. 

Dane Montgomery needs another year of juniors to get stronger along the walls. He was decent on draws was technically sound as a center. 

It might be Waterloo's style of play but at times I thought Luke Bast was playing forward. He was up the ice a lot. But even in a game that was over, and down a man to a major, he made an amazing play to stop a tap-in power play goal. 

20 hours ago, petey23 said:

Nick and Jordan are Mike Schmaltz's sons. Mike Played WR for UND football in the late 80's.

Jake is Marc Schmaltz's son and Mike's nephew. Marc played LB for UND football in the in the late 80's/early 90's. I think Marc was 1 year behind Mike.

Not sure if the youngest former UND football player Monte has any hockey playing kids.

I understand but my friend is a little slower. So you're saying that Mike, Marc, and Monte are brothers? 

Jackson Kunz is finishing the regular season on a tear. Given his performance this year (& relative to his peers) he has to all but wrapped up him being part of the Freshman class next year. I don't think this soon to be Freshman class is getting as much love as they deserve. I am in agreement they lack the "blue-chip" First Round type of recruit, but they do have real quality and depth.

Kunz has had a solid year.

• 23G 20 A (43 Points / 49 Games)
  • +31
  • Tied 23 in USHL Pts / 42nd PPG (taking out guys who have played single digit games)
  • Tied 10th Goals (League wide)

Ethan Bowen is going to be really hard for the coaches to assess relative to his USHL counterparts. Looking like Costantini vs Bowen for that final freshman forward spot. I didn't realize that the BCHL pods are 3 teams, so Chilliwack and Bowen are only playing 2 teams for their pod schedule. BCHL in general it'll be hard to assess as if you have a strong team paired with a weak team, you could really pile up the points.

The pod will be 20 games. They've played 12 so far.

• 6G 6A (12 Points / 12 Games)
  • Leading team in scoring
  • 2nd team in goals

5 hours ago, AJS said:

Jackson Kunz is finishing the regular season on a tear. Given his performance this year (& relative to his peers) he has to all but wrapped up him being part of the Freshman class next year. I don't think this soon to be Freshman class is getting as much love as they deserve. I am in agreement they lack the "blue-chip" First Round type of recruit, but they do have real quality and depth.

Kunz has had a solid year.

• 23G 20 A (43 Points / 49 Games)
  • +31
  • Tied 23 in USHL Pts / 42nd PPG (taking out guys who have played single digit games)
  • Tied 10th Goals (League wide)

...and only 1 of those goals and 4 points on the power play for Kunz.  When I saw that clip of Kunz on Schlossman's Twitter I couldn’t believe how much faster he looked, albeit it’s been a while since I’ve seen him. Schmaltz on the other hand has 10 goals, 8 assists on the power play.  Earlier I was thinking Schmaltz might be more of a role player, but he could find time on one of the PP units.  It seems like he should be older, because he has been around, but he is a 2001, so nice opportunity for upside yet.  If Portz is anything like Jamernik, we could have a nice mix of skill and grit coming in.  It would be nice if they were impact guys right away, but with portal help they can grow into their roles without the pressure of huge expectations.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:43 AM, AJS said:

Ethan Bowen is going to be really hard for the coaches to assess relative to his USHL counterparts. Looking like Costantini vs Bowen for that final freshman forward spot. I didn't realize that the BCHL pods are 3 teams, so Chilliwack and Bowen are only playing 2 teams for their pod schedule. BCHL in general it'll be hard to assess as if you have a strong team paired with a weak team, you could really pile up the points.

The pod will be 20 games. They've played 12 so far.

• 6G 6A (12 Points / 12 Games)
  • Leading team in scoring
  • 2nd team in goals

Costantini is definitely not lighting up the ushl and bowen is coming across (more and more) like a kid that may not end up here. Definitely time to turn it around however college puck doesn’t get easier. Especially if you’re coming up the BC route.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Costantini is definitely not lighting up the ushl and bowen is coming across (more and more) like a kid that may not end up here. Definitely time to turn it around however college puck doesn’t get easier. Especially if you’re coming up the BC route.

Constantini isn't lighting it up, but you aren't going to have every kid the stud of their team.  He is putting up more PPG than two Duluth commits and probably about 80 percent of the rest of the commitments on the team as well.   It isn't always what they can do in Juniors, as I think our coaches develop players pretty well.   I sure wish we had another year out of Jackson Keane, who didn't rip up either the BCHL or USHL.  

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Ethan Bowen is only 18 and does not turn 19 until May. He has 13 points in 12 games this year, and had respectable numbers the last 2 years in the BCHL as an underaged player (2018-19--39 points in 58 games; 2019-20--31 points in 41 games). I don't know how you conclude that he's not ready. I'm guessing he comes in along with Schmaltz, Portz and Kunz.