SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Just leaving the Dubuque / Muskegon game and another subpar showing by the boys. The more concerning as a Sioux fan is the play of recruit Hobie Hedquist. He looked great in his one game last year. This year he looks overmatched and a big lack of confidence. He was a preseason fave as goalie of the year and top 3 round draft pick in 2021. As a replacement to Adam Scheel/ Peter Thome, I am a wee bit worried. I would assume Kaleb Johnson is a walk on / 3rd spot at best?   

• GP    W L T SO 0  GAA 5.66  SV%0.791

https://www.ushl.com/view#/player/8765/73/hobie-hedquist

19 minutes ago, soccerpuck15 said:

Just leaving the Dubuque / Muskegon game and another subpar showing by the boys. The more concerning as a Sioux fan is the play of recruit Hobie Hedquist. He looked great in his one game last year. This year he looks overmatched and a big lack of confidence. He was a preseason fave as goalie of the year and top 3 round draft pick in 2021. As a replacement to Adam Scheel/ Peter Thome, I am a wee bit worried. I would assume Kaleb Johnson is a walk on / 3rd spot at best?   

• GP    W L T SO 0  GAA 5.66  SV%0.791

https://www.ushl.com/view#/player/8765/73/hobie-hedquist

I was under the impression Kaleb Johnson is Thome’s replacement and Hedquist is Scheel’s replacement 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

I was under the impression Kaleb Johnson is Thome’s replacement and Hedquist is Scheel’s replacement 

I have seen Kaleb play and from what I saw I assumed he was a walk on. He played behind Fanti in year one of the Nahl and started 30% of the time. Had a rough camp in Cedar Rapids last year and was cut within three preseason games.  Last year he had 4 goalie partners and while he played 26 games, he never was "the guy" - and this year he will be lucky to get in 3 - 4 months of play. I am definitely concerned if he is replacing one of those two boys. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512662/kaleb-johnson

2 minutes ago, soccerpuck15 said:

I have seen Kaleb play and from what I saw I assumed he was a walk on. He played behind Fanti in year one of the Nahl and started 30% of the time. Had a rough camp in Cedar Rapids last year and was cut within three preseason games.  Last year he had 4 goalie partners and while he played 26 games, he never was "the guy" - and this year he will be lucky to get in 3 - 4 months of play. I am definitely concerned if he is replacing one of those two boys. 

I had also heard that we were interested in the Cornell goalie Matt Galajda as a grad transfer. He hasn’t landed anywhere yet so maybe that’s still an option. 

On 12/11/2020 at 10:20 PM, soccerpuck15 said:

Completely agree.  Can we really roll into next year with Scheel/Feeney/Johnson?  We would be a heartbeat away from what Western Michigan is going through.

Gotta pick up a goalie recruit somewhere.  Late bloomer 21 year old freshman a likely scenario.  

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Completely agree.  Can we really roll into next year with Scheel/Feeney/Johnson?  We would be a heartbeat away from what Western Michigan is going through.

Gotta pick up a goalie recruit somewhere.  Late bloomer 21 year old freshman a likely scenario.  

Not worried about a goalie. They'll find one. Up front, UND will have to replace a ton. With the decommits of Halliday and Rizzo (who knows if he'll be ever be good) they need some good forwards for next year too. Gaber, Budy can't do it on their own.

46 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Not worried about a goalie. They'll find one. Up front, UND will have to replace a ton. With the decommits of Halliday and Rizzo (who knows if he'll be ever be good) they need some good forwards for next year too. Gaber, Budy can't do it on their own.

What if Gooch and Adams come back for year 5? :)

50 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

I’m more concerned about defense than any other area next year. 

25 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Why? Moore, Frisch, Kleven, Sanderson. 4 returning. 

Bringing in Morrow (who should be good). Then they’ll find some older D to come in I would imagine. 

Since you asked why...

1. We don’t know Sanderson is going to return. While I believe it’s likely, the coaching staff also thought Jost was going to stay for a second year and got burned. Let’s not go through that again. 

2. What kind of caliber defensemen do you think is still available? Particularly for next season? They probably should have found a couple more d-men months ago. Hopefully they have a couple in mind because recruiting has got to be challenging with leagues stopping and starting, constant cancellations and postponements of games... 

3. Morrow hasn’t played any junior hockey. He’s still at Shattuck. He’ll be pretty raw.  And the other defenseman recruit signed for next year, Luke Bast, has been injured and has played like 3 games this season. 

So, all that said, I’m not comfortable with our defense for next year at this point in time. We could be fine. But there are so many unknowns on defense. And until I know who will be here next year, this is a major concern for me. 

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Since you asked why...

1. We don’t know Sanderson is going to return. While I believe it’s likely, the coaching staff also thought Jost was going to stay for a second year and got burned. Let’s not go through that again. 

2. What kind of caliber defensemen do you think is still available? Particularly for next season? They probably should have found a couple more d-men months ago. Hopefully they have a couple in mind because recruiting has got to be challenging with leagues stopping and starting, constant cancellations and postponements of games... 

3. Morrow hasn’t played any junior hockey. He’s still at Shattuck. He’ll be pretty raw.  And the other defenseman recruit signed for next year, Luke Bast, has been injured and has played like 3 games this season. 

So, all that said, I’m not comfortable with our defense for next year at this point in time. We could be fine. But there are so many unknowns on defense. And until I know who will be here next year, this is a major concern for me. 

Hopefully Gabe Bast wants to stick around for a 5th year....with the opportunity to play with his brother.

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

What if Gooch and Adams come back for year 5? :)

You wonder.  Both got the short end of the stick on their senior years.

Wonder if Thome sticks around, if so they wouldn't have to worry about bringing in another goalie. 

• 2 weeks later...