SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So I am guessing this has been posted here already, But I guess I had not seen this huge master plan with a layout of Phase 2 with the coaching offices, locker room, weight room, etc.(pg 15-16 on the attachment).  Pretty sweet!!

https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/und-athletics-masterplan-0823.pdf

Very nice but also very out of date. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/6926502-UNDs-20-25-million-addition-to-Pollard-Center-becomes-a-focus-as-Memorial-Stadium-project-appears-near

All UND athletic offices, student-athlete academic center, and a hall of honor area will be part of the new mixed-use building that will be done in Aug 2022.

All other parts of what used to be HPC phase 2 are still in fundraising mode, with funds hoped to be raised by the fall of 2023 and construction sometime after.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, Kab said:

Back in the day one of the study areas was in the union, room with bean bag chairs, go up to a window and request an Lp and they would give you a set of head phones so you could listen to the music you requested.

how much are libraries used now with so many online resources?  Spent many hours reading the Wall Street Journal each day there.

@siouxforeverbaby

On 1/27/2021 at 10:43 AM, tnt said:

Too bad the city tore down the old Carnegie Library downtown and put up a parking ramp. 

On 1/27/2021 at 1:19 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Valley City's and Dickinson's still live on as libraries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carnegie_libraries_in_North_Dakota 

Sorry, just seeing these.  In regards to why the city probably tore it down...Carnegies are a lot of work to upkeep and there is not a ton of modernization that you are allowed to do to them.  Valley City and Dickinson have jumped through a ton of hoops to get what they have in them and both have pretty much tapped out what they are going to be allowed to do in them.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, Kab said:

Back in the day one of the study areas was in the union, room with bean bag chairs, go up to a window and request an Lp and they would give you a set of head phones so you could listen to the music you requested.

how much are libraries used now with so many online resources?  Spent many hours reading the Wall Street Journal each day there.

35 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Union like that was before my time.  However, yes libraries are still used a ton.  A.  There are some online resources that will only give libraries permission for them to be used in-house.  So, we can't let patrons use them from their house.   B. Younger generations like them as a place where they can go to study, work, find books, etc and their kids can get books at the same time.  C. Makerspaces for teens and adults are huge.  D.  Homeless and the less financially secure love the library because they can find information on jobs, etc for free.  E. Community Hubs.  There are quite a few libraries that are hiring social workers and/or working with other community entities to provide services in a central location.

Yes, I could go on for awhile..

• 2 weeks later...

Pondering ...

The HPC will connect to Memorial Village via the HAWKway. 
One drawing in the docs filed with the city showed a future skyway from Memorial Village to the existing skyway tower. 

Once you're in the ramp, does that connect (sheltered, meaning at least a roof) to Swanson or the new Union? 

And what will the new Union have sheltered connections to? 

On 3/24/2021 at 9:44 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Pondering ...

The HPC will connect to Memorial Village via the HAWKway. 
One drawing in the docs filed with the city showed a future skyway from Memorial Village to the existing skyway tower. 

Once you're in the ramp, does that connect (sheltered, meaning at least a roof) to Swanson or the new Union? 

And what will the new Union have sheltered connections to? 

Once a skywalk is built over 2nd Ave N to connect to the Hawkway, a person would be able to walk totally under cover from the the new  Memorial Union to the existing HPC (Pollard Center).  I don’t believe that the new law school addition (from a few years ago) was built with a connecting skyway in mind to connector to what is now the new union. That said there will be a skywalk connecting the new Nistler building and the Chester Fritz Library, with future plans to connect Nistler to Merrifield and Merrified to a renovated Twamley. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Once a skywalk is built over 2nd Ave N to connect to the Hawkway, a person would be able to walk totally under cover from the the new  Memorial Union to the existing HPC (Pollard Center).  I don’t believe that the new law school addition (from a few years ago) was built with a connecting skyway in mind to connector to what is now the new union. That said there will be a skywalk connecting the new Nistler building and the Chester Fritz Library, with future plans to connect Nistler to Merrifield and Merrified to a renovated Twamley. 

It’s gonna be slick.

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Any word on UND selling bricks from Memorial Stadium?  I would love to have one

I thought they were going to repurpose them for the tunnel that will connect the new building to the HPC/Pollard Center.  If that's the case, maybe they salvage the ones that can be repurposed and eventually sell the ones they don't or can't use?  

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

I thought they were going to repurpose them for the tunnel that will connect the new building to the HPC/Pollard Center.  If that's the case, maybe they salvage the ones that can be repurposed and eventually sell the ones they don't or can't use?  

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My favorite part

• An additional public-private partnership, if approved, will extensively remodel Brannon, Selke and Noren Halls, while McVey and West Halls will be demolished and new buildings will stand in their place.

Those dorms have badly needed to be remodeled.  I lived in Noren my freshman year (the first year it was co-ed) and then Selke.  Glad to finally see that there is a plan to do so if it gets approved. 

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My favorite part

• An additional public-private partnership, if approved, will extensively remodel Brannon, Selke and Noren Halls, while McVey and West Halls will be demolished and new buildings will stand in their place.

Those dorms have badly needed to be remodeled.  I lived in Noren my freshman year (the first year it was co-ed) and then Selke.  Glad to finally see that there is a plan to do so if it gets approved. 

I thought me and my boys did a pretty good job demolishing West back in the day...;)

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND hopes to remodel campus dorms this summer

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6982108-UND-hopes-to-remodel-campus-dorms-this-summer

Walsh Hall must be on the National Registry of Historic Places (As it should be ;))  No plans to touch it!! :D

Wonder how many nice ladies and wonder young men lost you know what there lol

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND hopes to remodel campus dorms this summer

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6982108-UND-hopes-to-remodel-campus-dorms-this-summer

Walsh Hall must be on the National Registry of Historic Places (As it should be ;))  No plans to touch it!! :D

I think Walsh is empty this year.... and they're quietly making plans to demo a lot of on-campus housing.

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Myhra was a character and nice guy. I never would had thought of naming a building after him. 
I had the privilege of sitting next to  Fritz Pollard at a UND alumni dinner one night. Great guy who had tremendous respect for UND and especially Jack West his former coach. He told some great stories of being a black multi sport athlete at UND as well as his Olympic experience in pre-war Nazi Germany.  He was one of the best student athletes in UND history. He also has a very successful post grad career serving our country. He was a credit to his family, the University of North Dakota and our nation. I believe it is a privilege for UND to have his name on the building. It would have been great if more UND student athletes and students could have met him. 

It’s a no brainer. The man is impressive.

• Upvote 1