SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

12 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Gamble Hall received some oxygen. Seems to be a reliable source, GOBC.
After current tenants move into new Business School, Merrifield hall professors and students will migrate to Gamble.
$50M

Temporary move while they renovate Merrifield and Twamley (with $50 million from the state and $25 million from donations or reserves).  Gamble will be a parking lot or green space in 5-10 years.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Temporary move while they renovate Merrifield and Twamley (with $50 million from the state and $25 million from donations or reserves).  Gamble will be a parking lot or green space in 5-10 years.

It continually amazes me that Gamble (1968) is scheduled to be leveled and old Merrifield (1929) will live on. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Almost all of that page is from 2019 and is a earlier version of the plan. The pictures of the weight room, academic area, and the video are all from the 2019 version. I think the photo shows they've downgraded plans again by a bit. The two story portion of the building keeps getting smaller.

2013 Version: athletics-high-performance-center_sideba

2018 Version: https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/und-athletics-masterplan-0823.pdf (pgs 14-18)

2019 Version:MemorialRender1.png

2021 Version: und-hpc-03.jpg

16 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

I think the photo shows they've downgraded plans again by a bit. The two story portion of the building keeps getting smaller.

@Hammersmith, yes, the HPCII (the addition to the Pollard Center) will get smaller. Why?

Football and certain other offices will be going into first floor of Memorial Village (the bottom floor of the building on the left in your last image, the 2021 version).

You don't need a second floor when you have first floors in two buildings. :) 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

@Hammersmith, yes, the HPCII (the addition to the Pollard Center) will get smaller. Why?

Football and certain other offices will be going into first floor of Memorial Village (the bottom floor of the building on the left in your last image, the 2021 version).

You don't need a second floor when you have first floors in two buildings. :) 

In the last ndus meeting that you posted a link to, when they talk about this, they say the original HPCII square footage was around 117,000 sq feet.  The athletics part of memorial village will be 36K, and the new updated size for HPCII will only be 36k (72K total).  If you go to the link you posted, they show a floor plan of the memorial village space at the very end of the lease agreement, but it is kind of blurry.  They also mentioned that fundraising is going very well, and that is part of the reason phase two is downsized...?  Sounded like they want to get started on both at about the same time.  They also mentioned the soccer backup field, so that is what the lines must be in the rendering.

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

I believe "shotgun" trumps dibs any day.

"Shotgun" is for second chair (normally front passenger seat in a vehicle).
Original call (first chair) on the object is "DIBS!" (i.e. dibs on driving the vehicle). 

If nobody is there yet (first chair open), dibs trumps shotgun. 

Now if it was a two bedroom you could call shotgun after my dibs, but I got "DIBS!" on the one bedroom and there's no second bedroom/chair to call shotgun on!  :p 

Heaven help us when people start playing "Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock" for rooms in the four bedroom units ... 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Get that thing built! Need to move on that quick! How many apartments will there be? I assume those apartments will be pretty high demand

Not sure, but those will be pretty amazing "off campus" digs for the older football players!

6 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This is kind of funny.  I mean, they did choose the most remote location possible for the med school.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/7279099-Letter-It’s-unconscionable-that-the-UND-School-of-Medicine-has-no-food-service-options

They get all these daily Hwy#2 drive-byes. By now, pretty much all drivers in this corner of the state recognize it.

29 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

They get all these daily Hwy#2 drive-byes. By now, pretty much all drivers in this corner of the state recognize it.

Considering the other sites under consideration (including the old med school) were within a stone's throw of the Memorial Union and/or walkable (in nice weather, at least) to full-service dining in Wilkerson, and the letter to the editor is about food service availability on campus, I'd say that the Gateway location is indeed remote.

The two Johns (i.e., Jimmy and Taco), though each within walking distance, aren't exactly going to be much more than occasional stops.  Unless people really, really like Oles.

Related but unrelated...the persistent lack of campus-adjacent dining, shopping, and entertainment options at UND is remarkable.  Two strips at REA that I would call moderately useful, at best (I'm guessing MidcoSports doesn't get much walk-up traffic), and Suite 49 has been shuttered over the years more than it has not.  Basically forces students to get in their cars and drive (or rely on buses/Ubers) for even the most mundane of tasks.  Maybe it's time to kick BNSF out of town, do some intense surface remediation, and develop some of that land to benefit campus.  And that would immediately save the tens of millions of $$$ slated for the 42nd St underpass.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Considering the other sites under consideration (including the old med school) were within a stone's throw of the Memorial Union and/or walkable (in nice weather, at least) to full-service dining in Wilkerson, and the letter to the editor is about food service availability on campus, I'd say that the Gateway location is indeed remote.

The two Johns (i.e., Jimmy and Taco), though each within walking distance, aren't exactly going to be much more than occasional stops.  Unless people really, really like Oles.

Related but unrelated...the persistent lack of campus-adjacent dining, shopping, and entertainment options at UND is remarkable.  Two strips at REA that I would call moderately useful, at best (I'm guessing MidcoSports doesn't get much walk-up traffic), and Suite 49 has been shuttered over the years more than it has not.  Basically forces students to get in their cars and drive (or rely on buses/Ubers) for even the most mundane of tasks.  Maybe it's time to kick BNSF out of town, do some intense surface remediation, and develop some of that land to benefit campus.  And that would immediately save the tens of millions of $$$ slated for the 42nd St underpass.

The way the blocks are laid out makes it really tough, but the best answer would be for the UND Foundation to buy out all the houses in the blocks north of Greek row. Try to get everything from Columbia to 26th and from 3rd & 1/2 to 5th or 6th. It would take decades to get enough properties to make it work, but that would create enough space for some nice mixed use buildings similar to the Memorial Stadium project. Also build one on the west portion of Lot ASH and integrate the parking ramp tower into it. All those projects would make a nice Columbia corridor from the tracks to the soccer field.

The NDSU Development Foundation did pretty much the same thing along University from 13th to 17th. They started during the 80s or even earlier, but they finally got enough properties purchased to start doing projects like The Bridges. Eventually University will look like 12th with continuous mixed use structures.

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The med school to the west of wilki would have been perfect.  Kelley was a moron.