SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I always thought that was CC's thing. Wamzgans always stood out to me lol.

I raise you a Ruegesegger and a Rakhshani. Don't make me go all Wallinheimo on you. I have a Popadynetz and a Dubielwicz after that. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I raise you a Ruegesegger and a Rakhshani. Don't make me go all Wallinheimo on you. I have a Popadynetz and a Dubielwicz after that. 

Hey man, I'll give it a go.... 

Sweatt, Vlassopolous, Crabb, Testawuide, Krushelnyski, Stowkewych, Duggie Lagrone, Fejes, Kivihalme, Gooch, Cruickshank ... I left a couple of good ones out, too!

Release the Testwuide! 

Paukovich, Dingle, Wiercioch, Olszewski, Doremus, Mermis, Olkinuora, 

All on Gwozdecki teams. 

Whenever they'd say "Dingle" I'd say "berry" under my breath. 
Whenever they'd say "Wiercioch" I'd say "he's got a what?" 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I'm in the camp of 0 for 5 is extremely disappointing. 1 for 5 is necessary. 2 for 5 you're feeling good. Anything more you're ecstatic. I also feel like although UND is Top 3 for Eiserman, that one is an extreme long shot.

That list are ones I'm confident Berry is actively recruiting and there is mutual interest. There could be others (ex: Mac Swanson / Diego Buttazzoni) that are really good players, but not sure where they would stand.

Eiserman doesn't follow UND on IG. That tells you all you need to know.

He follows BU and Minnesota.

2 hours ago, Youldy said:

Just curious from the perspective of others, with the list that is down to 5 - what would feel like "success"?  We weren't going to go 6 for 6.  Since these 5 are decent possibilities what would be the hope/expectations? 5 for 5, 2 for 5, 1 for 5 - maybe depending on which ones?  Just curious.  I don't post but I read most of these and can tend to get disappointed if I have high expectations/hopes but the reality is not there :unsure:

I suppose if you go 5 for 5 it would seem great, but I would almost guarantee you that all of them wouldn't show up on campus.  Some will disappoint and keep getting pushed off until they decide to go elsewhere, and some might rip it up and choose to go another route.   Suffice it to say that if we went 5 for 5 we would most likely end up with another Cole Spicer situation, so maybe the coaches wouldn't even want 5 commits.   3 commits last year seemed great.   It doesn't hurt to use the transfer portal a little to fill in with experience and a proven commodity. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

I suppose if you go 5 for 5 it would seem great, but I would almost guarantee you that all of them wouldn't show up on campus.  Some will disappoint and keep getting pushed off until they decide to go elsewhere, and some might rip it up and choose to go another route.   Suffice it to say that if we went 5 for 5 we would most likely end up with another Cole Spicer situation, so maybe the coaches wouldn't even want 5 commits.   3 commits last year seemed great.   It doesn't hurt to use the transfer portal a little to fill in with experience and a proven commodity. 

The amount and quality of players in the transfer portal is going to drop off once the players with the extra Covid year option run out of eligibility.

Something to keep in mind. 

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

The amount and quality of players in the transfer portal is going to drop off once the players with the extra Covid year option run out of eligibility.

Something to keep in mind. 

Numbers may drop, but I still think the top tier teams will be able to attract some nice talent.  That said, I wish the transfer portal would just go away in all sports, as it has become sort of a free agency where lower programs are basically left developing top talent, then losing them once they have developed nicely.  

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

< narrator voice >

And with that Goon confirmed he is indeed not one of the cool kids. 

Ha. I didn't know it was a competition. :) I am not a big Instagram guy. I prefer Twitter. I've never heard it referred to as IG. I guess older guys can learn, too. 

4 hours ago, burd said:

What are the rules with respect to coaches communicating with recruits through social media?   Verboten?

Coaches can communicate with recruits privately through DMs on apps like Twitter and IG after the quiet period. Texting is fine too. Some of the top recruiting coaches text recruits even during college playoff and championship games. 

The “click don’t type” rule allows coaches to “like” or “share” a recruit’s social media post but aren’t allowed to publicly comment on his sm profile until after he’s committed. But again, DMs are permitted. 

Perfectly clear?

6 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Coaches can communicate with recruits privately through DMs on apps like Twitter and IG after the quiet period. Texting is fine too. Some of the top recruiting coaches text recruits even during college playoff and championship games. 

The “click don’t type” rule allows coaches to “like” or “share” a recruit’s social media post but aren’t allowed to publicly comment on his sm profile until after he’s committed. But again, DMs are permitted. 

Perfectly clear?

Thanks.  burd is old--nothing is perfectly clear anymore.

I found myself wondering whether some of the older coaches with great recruiting history (think York before retirement) shy away from social media communication and have their assistants handle that.   

23 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Lotta Gophers on that WJC team…

Pretty causal tournament for Knies and Faber. Yikes…

I think Faber is a decent college player but tremendously overrated. 

The team was 10-0 as far as goals for/goals against at even strength with faber on the ice. Only goal against was the empty netter in the quarters.

in comparison, kleven’s was the lowest at even strength on the US. Not trying to bash kleven, more to point out that you have to bring some stats to make comment you did.

agree with Knies though, fairly underwhelming 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The team was 10-0 as far as goals for/goals against at even strength with faber on the ice. Only goal against was the empty netter in the quarters.

in comparison, kleven’s was the lowest at even strength on the US. Not trying to bash kleven, more to point out that you have to bring some stats to make comment you did.

agree with Knies though, fairly underwhelming 

Coaches were too busy playing and stroking off Luke Hughes. Like playing 2 lines only in state semifinal and final games. Not usually the recipe for success. 

9 hours ago, burd said:

Thanks.  burd is old--nothing is perfectly clear anymore.

I found myself wondering whether some of the older coaches with great recruiting history (think York before retirement) shy away from social media communication and have their assistants handle that.   

Your question is a good one, I’d like to know more about how our coaches go about it. I’d hope our HC and entire staff are aggressively involved with electronic media. Some programs hire staff in the order of “can he build relationships and recruit?”, followed by “can he coach?”  

Some of the best recruiters are committed recruits of whom coaches ask for help. They have no rules.