SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

4 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

If that’s the case we better be winning a national title this year. If we don’t make it to the frozen four it WILL be a disappointment!

I don't know, it's usually hard for dying programs to win national titles.
But I'll keep my fingers crossed for this season!  :) 

4 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What bars in the state play UND hockey games as much or more than NDSU football games? UND is barely followed anymore in the state.

The problem is not lack of interest.
It's lack of engagement to remind the bars when games are on. 
UND should be sending the "schedule poster" with Midco games highlighted to every bar in the state. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, it's just not true. Many, many, many bars play UND hockey games, every single game. Again, so much anecdotal evidence for you to want to beg us into your premise of us not being an elite program. I don't really understand your motivation.

If you don't enjoy UND's current recruiting pipeline, I don't really know what else I can say to convince you otherwise.  

I just feel the program is sliding the wrong direction and it’s not just our recruiting that is the main concern. How many radio stations in ND/MN broadcast the hockey games until our recently announced deal? 2 or 3? When I go into a sports bar and I only see green and gold it gets a guy worked up!

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

I just feel the program is sliding the wrong direction and it’s not just our recruiting that is the main concern. How many radio stations in ND/MN broadcast the hockey games until our recently announced deal? 2 or 3? When I go into a sports bar and I only see green and gold it gets a guy worked up!

Again, I think you're relying on anecdotal evidence. The world is a different place from when we were young. The radio stations are now on the internet with iHeart Radio. All games are streamed through NCHC.tv. I certainly understand you don't like what you see, but UND is still elite in college hockey. 

7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Non elite programs have made it to the frozen four and won titles. Providence ring a bell?

There are more players playing the game at a high level, but the same number of college programs. Of course there'll be Providences, UMasses, and Yales that pop up ... and fade. 

Being in the hunt every year is the key. 

44 minutes ago, brianvf said:

You realize that UND has one of the highest rated incoming freshman classes this year, right?
Our freshmen forward group is elite.
How did that happen if UND isn't relevant outside of GF?  And how did that happen despite UND not winning a title since 2016?  :D 

Your definition of a dying program is vastly different than mine.

If UND is a dying program, then

BC--dead

BU--dead

Minnesota--dead

Michigan--dead

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The radio stations are now on the internet with iHeart Radio. All games are streamed through NCHC.tv.

Put an app on your phone and you can listen to UND Hockey on ... Earth. 

How many schools have media deals that guarantee every home game will be broadcast (and streamed) live. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, petey23 said:

If UND is a dying program, then

BC--dead

BU--dead

Minnesota--dead

Michigan--dead

they were all fluttering programs except for the UM’s last year. All their fans are just as frustrated they haven’t seen titles lately. When was the last year one of them was relevant (title)? 

but they seem to still get the top recruits! 

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yeah I have to admit it’s been awhile since I listened to the radio in ND, but I do remember the last time I tried to listen to a game I couldn’t pick it up where I was in the state. Maybe it was a UND football game because if it was hockey I should be able to hear it anywhere in the state with 550.

19 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

they were all fluttering programs except for the UM’s last year. All their fans are just as frustrated they haven’t seen titles lately. When was the last year one of them was relevant (title)? 

but they seem to still get the top recruits! 

At what point do you realize that championship teams are built with upperclassmen with a few high end guys sprinkled in.  UND seems to be getting some of those high end guys.  The best run in our program’s history wasn’t built on elite recruits coming in, and when we did get all the high end guys like Parise, Toews, Oshie, Zajac and Stafford, you rail on the coaches for not getting it done.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Who on here is saying that NCAA titles don't matter? If you can find ONE, please show me because that is dumb. 

Most on here are saying that it's WAY harder to win a title now than it used to be. There are those that don't want to recognize that. So be it. 

Duluth and Denver have each won two titles since we hung #8. Based on your comment, that should never have happened.

18 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND is no longer relevant outside of Grand Forks. Not sure what you puck heads don’t get about that……

not sure I am fine with a dying program

Three straight NCHC titles and UND is a dying program? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah I have to admit it’s been awhile since I listened to the radio in ND, but I do remember the last time I tried to listen to a game I couldn’t pick it up where I was in the state. Maybe it was a UND football game because if it was hockey I should be able to hear it anywhere in the state with 550.

iHeart Radio is your friend. 

86A64D59-899B-4301-803C-9E160161AB96.png

18 hours ago, gfhockey said:

What’s your excuse for Berry missing out in all the top guys

you always say we didn’t want him

I'm not sure I've ever actually said that. Shaugs was the only one where I know we didn't offer and thus, would imply, we didn't really have a spot for him.

No excuses other than other teams are trying for these kids, too. I'm very happy with our pipeline. Do I wish we've gotten more of our targets? Absolutely. With that said, our pipeline is really, really good and we have a couple big timers still on the hook, but have to keep battling. I agree with you that NIL is a big deal and the program will need to stay competitive there. Getting a Big 10 education is hardly a reason that a guy like Cooley picked the U over UND, however. 

15 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Duluth and Denver have each won two titles since we hung #8. Based on your comment, that should never have happened.

Not true at all. It is WAY harder to win a title than it used to be. Simple fact, honestly. That doesn't change the fact that teams get hot and win titles. In UMD's first title of their back-to-back, if you remember, they barely made the tournament and got hot. That happens. What DU and UMD have done is stay consistent. They are in the hunt at the end of the year every single season. UND is the same way. Once you get in, it's four games to bring it home and the most talented team, the one with the highest draft picks, doesn't always win (ie: Michigan, BU). Good recruiting keeps you consistently in the hunt. As much as people want us to win a title every year, it's just simply harder now than it used to be. 

18 hours ago, tnt said:

At what point do you realize that championship teams are built with upperclassmen with a few high end guys sprinkled in.  UND seems to be getting some of those high end guys.  The best run in our program’s history wasn’t built on elite recruits coming in, and when we did get all the high end guys like Parise, Toews, Oshie, Zajac and Stafford, you rail on the coaches for not getting it done.  

YES. A big reason why I'm very excited for this season.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm not sure I've ever actually said that. Shaugs was the only one where I know we didn't offer and thus, would imply, we didn't really have a spot for him.

No excuses other than other teams are trying for these kids, too. I'm very happy with our pipeline. Do I wish we've gotten more of our targets? Absolutely. With that said, our pipeline is really, really good and we have a couple big timers still on the hook, but have to keep battling. I agree with you that NIL is a big deal and the program will need to stay competitive there. Getting a Big 10 education is hardly a reason that a guy like Cooley picked the U over UND, however. 

I agree, most of these college hockey players are not picking the Universities they choose because of academics. Now I said most, there will always be exceptions, but some of these kids may actually be put off by the requirements that a Big10 institution has for acceptance. Although I am sure for a high profile athlete some of those requirements probably get loosened.

• Upvote 1