SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

You’re saying MN kids who didn’t play SSM haven’t produced? I must be missing something.

Maybe he means straight from MN high school to college??!??!  If so, not many kids are successful with that route, so okay sure, I agree.

If not, I won’t go back all 20 years, and reasonable minds will disagree on this next one, but the Gophers did have a Hobey Hat Trick finalist (Ben Meyers) from the metro literally just last season…

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Maybe he means straight from MN high school to college??!??!  If so, not many kids are successful with that route, so okay sure, I agree.

If not, I won’t go back all 20 years, and reasonable minds will disagree on this next one, but the Gophers did have a Hobey Hat Trick finalist (Ben Meyers) from the metro literally just last season…

Question - who was UND’s last twin cities big recruit? Shane Gerisch? 

MN forwards over the years haven’t done much in the NHL. Erik Haula (decent NHL career) Nick Bjugstad (I’d say underwhelming career). Who else? Casey Middlestedt only played one year U of M and didn’t accomplish much. 

UND has had some studs is Brock B. Nick Schmaltz (decent, not great NHL player) Brock Nelson in the last decade at forward  

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing when McMorrow committed to DU.  For a kid that played MN HS hockey, his numbers sure don't jump off the page.
We'll see how he does on the NTDP this season.

Well mcmorrow averaged over a pt/gm as a sophomore playing in arguably the toughest section in AA hockey. He’s also got picked up by the NTDP. Zellers isn’t playing NTDP and played U15 on a stacked team and was like 4th-5th in pts.. Again he may be trending right thigh, I believe he had a nice 5 nations tourney.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Grant "Monster" Mismash? 

Decent player. Good college career. Not sure if the fans expected more out of him. Was a 2nd round pick (very late 2nd round pick), but there’s plenty of 2nd round NHL picks that don’t do much in their professional career. Hope he gets a NHL game soon. 

To be clear I’m not saying Und hasn’t been recruiting well. At the end of the day, we’re up there for sure. I just miss those mid 2000s days where we’d reload every year with at least a couple blue chips. That trend has moved more to the Big10 (on average). Definitely doesn’t guarantee a natty, but better kids help. I’m sure Berry is just taking his time. Nice thing about hockey is there are always late bloomers, and we typically clean up in that department.

also, im fairly certain we’ll start the year as a top 3-5 team in the country so we’re going to be good this year. MN is going to be tough, DU too, but this is a year I have natty hopes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

To be clear I’m not saying Und hasn’t been recruiting well. At the end of the day, we’re up there for sure. I just miss those mid 2000s days where we’d reload every year with at least a couple blue chips. That trend has moved more to the Big10 (on average). Definitely doesn’t guarantee a natty, but better kids help. I’m sure Berry is just taking his time. Nice thing about hockey is there are always late bloomers, and we typically clean up in that department.

also, im fairly certain we’ll start the year as a top 3-5 team in the country so we’re going to be good this year. MN is going to be tough, DU too, but this is a year I have natty hopes.

My approach to recruiting used to be more reactionary.  What I've learned is we all could learn to take a "we'll see" approach...

http://www.drmarlo.com/dr-marlo-speaks/maybe-so-maybe-not-well-see/

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Think part of the reason Batchelder was headed to CC was supposed to be to come in this season, but with him back in the USHL looks like they weren't on the same page

Wasn't there rumors of him de-committing from CC and committing to UND last year sometime? 

4 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Wasn't there rumors of him de-committing from CC and committing to UND last year sometime? 

Unless this kid has an elite first half in the USHL, I’d be curious what UND would see in him with his stats so far. Just hockeydb’d him. There’s a million good MN high school kids ever year in MN. Only a few become studs in college. 

18 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Think part of the reason Batchelder was headed to CC was supposed to be to come in this season, but with him back in the USHL looks like they weren't on the same page

He has no business playing college puck this year, I’m guessing either cc pulled a scholly or he’s betting on himself to have a big year 

USDP U17 uncommitted:

Kristian Epperson

James Hagens - brother committed to Harvard

Shane Vansaghi

Noah Lapointe - brother plays at Michigan

EJ Emery

Logan Hensler - follows Brad Berry 

Sam Laurila

Dakoda Rheaume-Mullen 

Nick Kempf - last goalie UND got from there did very well 

The top line is uncommitted be nice to get all three or even just two of them.