SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

20 minutes ago, tnt said:

Perhaps the reason that they made the move on Kawaguchi is because they saw the writing on the wall for Bowers going elsewhere.  I guess we'll see.  Would be nice to have that problem with Bowers coming. 

Do we know if Bowers has visited here even? From the sounds of it, he is an eastern kid and plans on heading east to play which is why the Bostons are the favorites.

8 hours ago, tho0505 said:

Potential Departures Ending 2017
No. Name Pos. Yr. Hometown (Prev School)
20 [C] Gage Ausmus D Sr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (U.S. NTDP )
30 Matt Hrynkiw G Sr. Saskatoon, SK (Humboldt-SJHL)
3 [A] Tucker Poolman D Jr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
14 [A] Austin Poganski F Jr. St. Cloud, Minn. (Tri-City-USHL)
33 Cam Johnson G Jr. Troy, Mich. (Waterloo-USHL)
16 [A] Brock Boeser F So. Burnsville, Minn. (Waterloo-USHL)
17 Tyson Jost F Fr. Penticton, BC

Keep in mind we have Schmaltz' spot from this year that went unfilled.   Agreed on the locked players to come in: Adams, Mismash, Kawaguchi, and Jones. I don't see how we have room for anyone else barring a transfer.   If by some magic we get Jost for another year, it complicates things more.  I know the numbers all work out, but we also don't want to overcommit with players just to see them go else where when we delay them. 

I don't think it would have to be magic. If you watch UND Hockey show with BB Jost makes a comment that at the end of the Canisius game on Saturday he looked over at Gersich and said something to the effect of "this is the best place ever" referring to the Ralph.

Also, know a kid who is in class with him and he made a comment that he might not be here "in a couple years".

Obviously things can change but I don't think Jost will be kicking down the door to leave Grand Forks.

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Do we know if Bowers has visited here even? From the sounds of it, he is an eastern kid and plans on heading east to play which is why the Bostons are the favorites.

I believe he did early last year with Liam Pecarro.  Sounds like (from Jeff Cox) that he is in between BU and BC if he goes the college route.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Perhaps the reason that they made the move on Kawaguchi is because they saw the writing on the wall for Bowers going elsewhere.  I guess we'll see.  Would be nice to have that problem with Bowers coming. 

That was my thought. Would love to have Bowers here, and I think they would find a way to make room for him, but I think he'll go out east.

24 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I don't think it would have to be magic. If you watch UND Hockey show with BB Jost makes a comment that at the end of the Canisius game on Saturday he looked over at Gersich and said something to the effect of "this is the best place ever" referring to the Ralph.

Also, know a kid who is in class with him and he made a comment that he might not be here "in a couple years".

Obviously things can change but I don't think Jost will be kicking down the door to leave Grand Forks.

Jost will be an interesting situation. There is always the risk of one and done, but I agree, I don't think him staying would be magic either. UND has been great at keeping these top kids for, at least, two years. Hopefully Jost looks at everyone around him, and who has played there before him. Parise, Oshie, Toews, Boeser, etc. all stayed for more than 1 year.

I think most of these kids are smart enough to come into school with an open mind. They may know they won't stay for 4 years, but I think they are open to staying more than 1 depending on how the 1st year goes. That's where UND succeeds. Easier to have a kid want to stay when you are winning consistently, playing in front of a full house every night, and playing for such a great group of coaches. I think the "college life" is also a great asset that a lot of kids who go the "other route" miss out on. 

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Jost will be an interesting situation. There is always the risk of one and done, but I agree, I don't think him staying would be magic either. UND has been great at keeping these top kids for, at least, two years. Hopefully Jost looks at everyone around him, and who has played there before him. Parise, Oshie, Toews, Boeser, etc. all stayed for more than 1 year.

I think most of these kids are smart enough to come into school with an open mind. They may know they won't stay for 4 years, but I think they are open to staying more than 1 depending on how the 1st year goes. That's where UND succeeds. Easier to have a kid want to stay when you are winning consistently, playing in front of a full house every night, and playing for such a great group of coaches. I think the "college life" is also a great asset that a lot of kids who go the "other route" miss out on. 

I agree UND does have a great track record of getting an extra year out of all players, regardless of the talent, but Jost is a top 10 pick and there is little patience with NHL teams nowdays with high end players.

Technically Toews played one year after his draft year. The only higher draft pick than Jost that you mentioned was Toews. He came in at 17, played a year, was drafted, and played one more year.  Not the same situation. He's a high end draft pick and we'll be lucky to keep him two years. The Avs will come knocking if he blows away the NCAA this season. The NHL is moving to speed and skill, Jost offers the Avs that. With the early success of skilled guys like Matthews, it'll definitely be a 50/50 chance. 

We all love our culture, program, and what UND offers, but the reality is keeping players for more than 1 year for a top ten pick is really a toss up and extremely hard to do for any program.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

I think you are exactly right.  

"Kawaguchi will come to campus next fall — and you’ve got to believe he’ll be the final forward commit for 2017-18." Brad S

13 hours ago, cberkas said:

I don't care for him skating through the other team by himself.

He'll have to unlearn that pretty quick when he reaches the next level.  It's hard to tell how fast he is.   The opposition seems to be a little flat footed, but it could be him.

IMO, Jost stays 2 years,   He stayed at Penticton 2 years and went to a lot of effort to go the NCAA route.   He could have easily gone WHL if he was going to jump.   I think as long as his game is developing he's in no rush to go to Colorado.  

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:49 PM, jjensen said:

Hearing that D-man Cameron Crotty (2017 draft) is looking at Boston U, Boston College and North Dakota. He was a St. Lawrence commit

He was in for his visit this weekend. A friend sat next to him and his father and he said they have already visited the Boston schools. Said on his visit they went to a Red Sox-Yankees game at Fenway. Maybe a reason BU and Quinn are killing it on the recruiting trail.

6 hours ago, I Ranger said:

He was in for his visit this weekend. A friend sat next to him and his father and he said they have already visited the Boston schools. Said on his visit they went to a Red Sox-Yankees game at Fenway. Maybe a reason BU and Quinn are killing it on the recruiting trail.

They've gotten a few good first rounders but I wouldn't say they've been killing it. Some just like the big city atmosphere. Besides once in school there won't be much time for outside activities. 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:03 AM, I Ranger said:

I would argue that the Ralph is our Fenway, which he would be playing in . . .not maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe watching from the stands if he finds the time and money. BOOM! Get me a job as a closer.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, joeyjr said:

I would argue that the Ralph is our Fenway, which he would be playing in . . .not maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe watching from the stands if he finds the time and money. BOOM! Get me a job as a closer.

And Thunder the Bleacher Creature is the Green Monster?

18 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/10/27/13368774/2017-nhl-draft-ntdp-scouting-report-gildon-pastujov-reedy-mismash-norris

Write-up on the US NTDP U18 team.  Pretty much all of them (other than UND's Mismash) are committed to B1G or Hockey East schools.  Any concerns there or is the NTDP just down this year?

Hernandez is one I think the coaches should take a look at.

11 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Good luck to the kid, Glad he chose the  college route, too bad UND didn't land him, oh well.

That BU team is gonna be a great challenge for the next few years for sure.

From what everyone has said in the East Coast media, they have a very good shot at going undefeated this season and cruising to the title.  :)

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2016 at 2:00 PM, nodakgirl93 said:

They've gotten a few good first rounders but I wouldn't say they've been killing it. Some just like the big city atmosphere. Besides once in school there won't be much time for outside activities. 

A little late on the response, but BU has been killing it on the recruiting trail. In fact, this last years (2016) class might have been one of the best all-time in college hockey.  Time will tell, but from a high end recruit stand point, they crushed it this year. I would love to see if ANY college program has had more than 3 first rounders in one draft. 

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Good luck to the kid, Glad he chose the  college route, too bad UND didn't land him, oh well.

That BU team is gonna be a great challenge for the next few years for sure.

Completely agree....brutal to see him go to BU though...  Quinn reminds me of a Urban Meyer, slick recruiter and able to connect with the prospects easily.