SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

17 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Seems like a large leap to say an influx of college players are a reason why he quit... it's a hypothesis but not much in the way of facts to back it up.

That being said, I do really like Paisley's writing.

The guys on the NHL Network gave the Avs upper management a D or D+ grade for their recent roster moves and draft so I'm sure there's plenty of blame and bad feelings all around. Jost was the best available but they didn't address need which is defense. 

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

The guys on the NHL Network gave the Avs upper management a D or D+ grade for their recent roster moves and draft so I'm sure there's plenty of blame and bad feelings all around. Jost was the best available but they didn't address need which is defense. 

You don't address an immediate need in Defense via the draft. Not that we don't have many Defenseman in the pipeline - theres plenty. 

45 minutes ago, NoDakFan said:

You don't address an immediate need in Defense via the draft. Not that we don't have many Defenseman in the pipeline - theres plenty. 

The Avs haven't drafted a D man with their first pick since 2007 when they took Kevin Shattenkirk. The cupboard is full of skilled forwards, they need to start drafting top caliber D men now in order for them to hopefully blossom in the next few years.

Generally speaking, I get that a team should take the best available (Tyson Jost) but at some point you gotta address need. The Avs made some cosmetic changes with the likes of Patrick Wiercioch but hardly considered a top one or two defenseman. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, joeyjr said:

Shane Bowers is staying in the USHL to maintain his NCAA eligibility . . . cross your fingers for 17-18

Landing Bowers could make our incoming class absolutely stellar. With Mismash who could be a late 1st rounder, Colin Adams, Mattson, we'd be well on our way to help replacing Boeser and Jost after this year.  

On 9/9/2016 at 8:53 AM, tho0505 said:

Landing Bowers could make our incoming class absolutely stellar. With Mismash who could be a late 1st rounder, Colin Adams, Mattson, we'd be well on our way to help replacing Boeser and Jost after this year.  

Fingers crossed that Jost pulls a Boeser and stays for a second year. Really awesome if the coaches can continue holding on to these blue chippers for more than a season. Something UND has been really good at.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I was just wondering this same thing. Does anyone know if UND has been in contact with the kid, or if he will be making a visit to UND this fall?

I would almost guarantee Berry has made his pitch to the kid, however, I would assume that if he goes the college route, he'll end up on the East Coast.  Didnt Bowers come on a visit with Liam Pecarro last year?  I thought someone had mentioned that last year.

21 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Anyone have any other names out there that we are currently hard after? Seems like it's been especially quiet on the recruiting front especially considering coming off a national title.

We've had several commits over the last year (Hain, Mattson, Tychonick, Karki, etc) and all will be or are drafted.  The issue is space for everyone committed from my viewpoint.   We only have 2 seniors on this years rosters and zero senior forwards.

We have Mattson, Jones, Adams, Mismash, Keane, and Senden all age ready come in next year (2017), roster spots are now at a premium.  I assume Keane and Senden will be delayed until 2018. I still want us to go after Bowers though! 

Potential Departures Ending 2017

No. Name Pos. Yr. Hometown (Prev School)
20 [C] Gage Ausmus D Sr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (U.S. NTDP )
30 Matt Hrynkiw G Sr. Saskatoon, SK (Humboldt-SJHL)
3 [A] Tucker Poolman D Jr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
14 [A] Austin Poganski F Jr. St. Cloud, Minn. (Tri-City-USHL)
33 Cam Johnson G Jr. Troy, Mich. (Waterloo-USHL)
16 [A] Brock Boeser F So. Burnsville, Minn. (Waterloo-USHL)
17 Tyson Jost F Fr. Penticton, BC

On 9/16/2016 at 9:15 AM, jjensen said:

Another big one to keep your eyes on is Massimo Rizzo also probably a lot more guys playing Major Juniors or Minnesota Bntm's.

GF's Jackson Kunz, a 2002 drawing a lot of praise. Overall Grand Forks has some really high-ceiling players at the bantam and pee wee levels, not to mention the potential DI talent in the high school ranks (G. Johnson, Costello, Salquist). Ethan Frisch of Moorhead (soph d-man) would be a nice commit as well.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cberkas said:

Are they good enough to play at UND?

Costello went 2 in the USHL draft right after Hain so he must have some skill.  I know that there is a lot of buzz around him now. Has 7 points in 8 games

Mason Salquist has 8 points in 10 games.