SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

21 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Ryan Miller 138th overall.

Jonathan 72nd overall

Ben Bishop 85th overall

Matt Murray 83rd overall

Three of those four were drafted higher than Tomek.

And the other one on your list, Miller, started every year of his college career let alone was ever third string.

I'll save you some work there is plenty of starting goalies drafted lower than Tomek. Most starting goalies in the NHL were not.

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

And the one on your list started all three years in college let alone was ever third string.

I'll say you some work there is plenty of starting goalies drafted lower than Tomek. Most starting goalies in the NHL were not.

All four.... third round or later  Most.....not so sure about that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

And the other one on your list started all three years in college let alone was ever third string.

I'll save you some work there is plenty of starting goalies drafted lower than Tomek. Most starting goalies in the NHL were not.

Both of the Sharks goalies were never drafted.

10 minutes ago, Cratter said:

And the other one on your list, Miller, started every year of his college career let alone was ever third string.

Miller like Tomek was drafted before he played a game in college.

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I just went through the 2015-16 roster for sh*ts and gigs.... I think we'll see at least 10 from them:

Boeser, Drake, Rhett, Gersich, LaDue, Pogo, Tucker, Schmaltz, Stechy, Gage

LJ, Cam, Tomek, KT, Wolanin have shots.... maybe even Wilkie, too. 

Special, special teams.

Here's my prediction on NHL futures for the '15-'16 roster.....Tucker will lead the group in career games (I'll guess 918) ;).

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

How many collegiate goalies are out there right now that could leapfrog Cam for the starting job? 

When Cam is on and in the zone (see SCSU, UMD last year), there isn't a better goaltender in college hockey.  We can all moan about bad goals that he's given up, but find me a game this year that he lost for the team when they completely outplayed the opponent, but his goaltending was the deciding factor.

I tried to find a goalie in college hockey that I'd rather have, and the only one that makes the list as a maybe is Jaillet from Denver.  

• Upvote 1

Cratter must know more about Tomek's development and potential than most of us from watching him play so much.

I say wait it out. If the kid leaves, he will show his potential or lack there of in the minors. If he stays, then maybe we have a shot to see him next year. He is young, so I'm not sure why they don't redshirt him to extend his eligibility (just in case). Its not like he is sitting behind a couple of slouches. He is behind a older, more experience, national champion goaltender. As for Hyrinkiw, he has more than earned his spot as the back up based on what we saw last season when he was called upon.

Also, not as though Tomek is just warming the bench and handing out water bottles. He is getting valuable practice time on one of the best teams in the country, and learning from Goehring who's contribution cannot be overlooked. Hopefully Tomek see the value in what he is getting, and sticks it out. If he were the kind of guy that thinks the job should just be handed to him based on his precollege hype or draft status, then by all means, walk away and see how you do in the pros.

There is a reason that even guys like Oshie, Boeser, Parise, etc played more than 1 season in college. It is valuable experience and development. I'm not sure anyone other than the coaches are in a position to say that Tomek is a bust, or that he has the makings to be a star. Its all potential and what ifs, until he gets some consistent ice time. Throw him out there before he is ready and he may look as bad as Cam did his first time on the ice, and look how that turned around.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Cratter must know more about Tomek's development and potential than most of us from watching him play so much.

I say wait it out. If the kid leaves, he will show his potential or lack there of in the minors. If he stays, then maybe we have a shot to see him next year. He is young, so I'm not sure why they don't redshirt him to extend his eligibility (just in case). Its not like he is sitting behind a couple of slouches. He is behind a older, more experience, national champion goaltender. As for Hyrinkiw, he has more than earned his spot as the back up based on what we saw last season when he was called upon.

Also, not as though Tomek is just warming the bench and handing out water bottles. He is getting valuable practice time on one of the best teams in the country, and learning from Goehring who's contribution cannot be overlooked. Hopefully Tomek see the value in what he is getting, and sticks it out. If he were the kind of guy that thinks the job should just be handed to him based on his precollege hype or draft status, then by all means, walk away and see how you do in the pros.

There is a reason that even guys like Oshie, Boeser, Parise, etc played more than 1 season in college. It is valuable experience and development. I'm not sure anyone other than the coaches are in a position to say that Tomek is a bust, or that he has the makings to be a star. Its all potential and what ifs, until he gets some consistent ice time. Throw him out there before he is ready and he may look as bad as Cam did his first time on the ice, and look how that turned around.

If I were Tomek, I'd be on my way to the CHL...gotta play...