SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, tho0505 said:

A little late on the response, but BU has been killing it on the recruiting trail. In fact, this last years (2016) class might have been one of the best all-time in college hockey.  Time will tell, but from a high end recruit stand point, they crushed it this year. I would love to see if ANY college program has had more than 3 first rounders in one draft. 

@THNRyanKennedy: 2017 prospect Cameron Crotty (D) has committed to Boston U.

Yeah I'm gonna stick with my earlier statement that BU and Quinn are killing it on the recruiting trail. Anyone who says no is kidding themselves.

4 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

@THNRyanKennedy: 2017 prospect Cameron Crotty (D) has committed to Boston U.

Yeah I'm gonna stick with my earlier statement that BU and Quinn are killing it on the recruiting trail. Anyone who says no is kidding themselves.

Let's see if that translates into a natty title. I'm gonna go ahead and say no. You need a lot of pieces to the puzzle to win a natty. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Let's see if that translates into a natty title. I'm gonna go ahead and say no. You need a lot of pieces to the puzzle to win a natty. 

Yeah, sometime there aren't enough pucks to go around and guys that think they should be on the powerplay have to accept other roles.  That can cause chemistry problems if it isn't handled correctly by the players and coaches.  You definitely can win more times than not with a conglomeration of great talent, but getting through the adversity that is bound to crop up at some point isn't always a given, even with an abundance of talent. 

47 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, sometime there aren't enough pucks to go around and guys that think they should be on the powerplay have to accept other roles.  That can cause chemistry problems if it isn't handled correctly by the players and coaches.  You definitely can win more times than not with a conglomeration of great talent, but getting through the adversity that is bound to crop up at some point isn't always a given, even with an abundance of talent. 

Crotty is coming in next year....at least two of those freshmen will most likely sign by then.  Especially Keller.

There have been rumblings that David Quinn is a possibility to be one of the next college coaches to move on to the NHL.   Will be interesting to see if that is the case, as we know he can recruit, but much more to the equation that he will have to prove in my eyes.  Hakstol took many different kind of teams to the Frozen Four, and maybe one of his best jobs was one he didn't take to the Frozen Four where he couldn't fill a roster of forwards for quite a while because of injuries.  Would also be interesting to see if Quinn did leave if they would still be the hot college in Boston going forward.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Our D is going to be pretty thin next year....

I'd argue the thin D is now. There's two freshmen minimum every night.

I expect to lose T Poolman early to WPG, so lose Ausmus and Poolman for Bast and Evers. 

I could see next season's defense being Wolanin, Shaw, Johnson, C Poolman, and Peske. That's one freshman most nights. 

I'm more interested in finding some scoring (because I don't see Boeser still at UND in 2017-18). 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd argue the thin D is now. There's two freshmen minimum every night.

I expect to lose T Poolman early to WPG, so lose Ausmus and Poolman for Bast and Evers. 

I could see next season's defense being Wolanin, Shaw, Johnson, C Poolman, and Peske. That's one freshman most nights. 

I'm more interested in finding some scoring (because I don't see Boeser still at UND in 2017-18). 

Look around at some other teams, there's freshmen D on other teams too.  A top 4 that includes T Poolman, Ausmus, Wolanin, and Shaw is pretty dang solid if you ask me. Letting freshman play as a 5-6 dman is a best case scenario.

Imagine if (when) we lose T poolman, Ausmus, and Wolanin.  That's thin considering Bast has played a handful of games over the past year and a half and Evers seems to be just a middle of the road college prospect at this point.

59 minutes ago, tnt said:

Looks like Blais recruited Dixon Ward's son out of Penticton.  He sure has a monopoly on Ex-Sioux players sons with Morelli, Zombo, Archibald, and now Ward.

I was hoping UND would get him, maybe if Hak was still here?

I really think the time is coming to an end for Blais at Omaha. They are finding ways to win down there, but man they have played bad.

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

I was hoping UND would get him, maybe if Hak was still here?

I really think the time is coming to an end for Blais at Omaha. They are finding ways to win down there, but man they have played bad.

Well if he takes off in the BCHL in the next few years and Blais leaves, maybe the doors open up for his recruitment again.  I am sure that UND had their eye on his development, but it may have been a bit too early to pull the trigger.  

4 hours ago, tnt said:

Well if he takes off in the BCHL in the next few years and Blais leaves, maybe the doors open up for his recruitment again.  I am sure that UND had their eye on his development, but it may have been a bit too early to pull the trigger.  

Blais has an idea who UND is looking at and is trying to get them before UND does. 

2 minutes ago, ajries18 said:

Braden Costello is a USA Today High School All-American.  Has North Dakota had many of these in the past?

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/2016-17-american-family-insurance-all-usa-preseason-boys-hockey-team

I believe R. Potulny got something back in the day (best youth hockey player I've ever seen....to this day).

On 11/1/2016 at 7:58 AM, SiouxForever said:

Like role players that do the dirty work. 

On 11/18/2016 at 6:33 AM, scpa0305 said:

I believe R. Potulny got something back in the day (best youth hockey player I've ever seen....to this day).

I watched the GF bantam team play for and win the national championship in Denver when Grant Putolny was on the team in the 90's. He was easily the best player in the tournament.