SiouxSports.com Forum

UND in the mile high city.

Wilbur

The battle of the top two teams in the NCHC (my opinion of course).

Chrona finally not there any more.  He could have been there for a 5th year, but the Sharks finally got him in their system.  

Denver at a glance

-They are 10-3-1

-They just nuked Yale.

-Their new goalie is Freddie Halyk, a 6-5 Alberta kid that got his GAA down to 2.3 after their two shutouts of Yale.  89% save percentage.  

-This Rizzo kid I've never heard of is leading them in points, and is a +19.

-There will be an extremely poor attempt at humor from a once funny blog called LetsgoDu coming sometime this week.  At one time it was good, now it's just played past its prime and needs to be put to pasture.

Anything less than a split is incomprehensible....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Time to turn up the high altitude room for the boys. Looking forward to this series to see how we measure up. Denver is good but they have a weakness in net, get pucks on and expose him.

Agreed.  DU has been scoring a ton of goals, but their frosh goalie hasn't been playing as well as Persson.
Their schedule hasn't been as tough as UND's either...their only tough weekend was out east when they split with Prov and BC.

They just crushed Yale, who is ranked #59 in the PWR and has only two wins on the season.

That said, getting wins in Denver is not easy...the altitude, DU has some very skilled players, and you know Carle will have an agreement with the refs to get at least one 5min major PP per game.  ;) 

A split would be great, keep us ahead of them in the standings, and close us to within one win of SCSU.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

This is the type of NCHC series Ludvig has never played in before. He'll steal one....book it.

The way he looked Saturday he wasn't giving one up.  Those 50+ save victories he had at Miami probably looked like that but with 20 more shots his way.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.  DU has been scoring a ton of goals, but their frosh goalie hasn't been playing as well as Persson.
Their schedule hasn't been as tough as UND's either...their only tough weekend was out east when they split with Prov and BC.

They just crushed Yale, who is ranked #59 in the PWR and has only two wins on the season.

That said, getting wins in Denver is not easy...the altitude, DU has some very skilled players, and you know Carle will have an agreement with the refs to get at least one 5min major PP per game.  ;) 

A sweep would be great, keep us ahead of them in the standings, and tie SCSU.

Totally agree. ;)

• Upvote 1

I've been reading here how DU recruits much better than Berry & Co. and how their young coach can relate to young studs like Rizzo, so it wouldn't surprise me if DU wins by 8 or 9 both nights.   In fact, I've asked my therapist to give me a double session on Tuesday and maybe an extra one later in the week.  When your ability to be happy depends completely on Sioux hockey success, you have to be prepared for misery sometimes.  Oh well.   

5 hours ago, burd said:

I've been reading here how DU recruits much better than Berry & Co. and how their young coach can relate to young studs like Rizzo, so it wouldn't surprise me if DU wins by 8 or 9 both nights.   In fact, I've asked my therapist to give me a double session on Tuesday and maybe an extra one later in the week.  When your ability to be happy depends completely on Sioux hockey success, you have to be prepared for misery sometimes.  Oh well.   

Yeah, we have no chance to beat DU...may as well forfeit both games.:wink:

This years squad shows glimpses of the stud teams of 19-21. Just goes about it’s business putting pucks in the net from different guys and can take games over. Those teams a few years ago handled DU well, I expect the same. Beat ‘em like it’s expected. Then onto the next one. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/26/2023 at 1:53 PM, brianvf said:

A split would be great, keep us ahead of them in the standings, and close us to within one win of SCSU.

Didn’t UND have Massimo Rizzo coming to UND.  If that is so, why did that fall apart.  What is the deal with the local player, Cole Spicer going to Duluth.

1 minute ago, Esoteric said:

Didn’t UND have Massimo Rizzo coming to UND.  If that is so, why did that fall apart.  What is the deal with the local player, Cole Spicer going to Duluth.

Rizzo was originally committed to UND, but backed out at the last minute.  Some posters here have mentioned that UND even had his equipment ready to go, as they've seen it for sale at the equipment sale events.

Spicer was told to go back to juniors for another year before coming to UND...he felt that he was ready to play NCAA hockey so he went to UMD instead, as they were willing to take him last season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Rizzo was originally committed to UND, but backed out at the last minute.  Some posters here have mentioned that UND even had his equipment ready to go, as they've seen it for sale at the equipment sale events.

Spicer was told to go back to juniors for another year before coming to UND...he felt that he was ready to play NCAA hockey so he went to UMD instead, as they were willing to take him last season.

We didn’t want either of them when push came to shove

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Thank you for the information.  Last minute change for Rizzo, does that happen alot.  Seems strange.