SiouxSports.com Forum

UND in the mile high city.

Wilbur

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/11/30_Into-Thin-Air.php

In addition to Persson's arrival to head coach Brad Berry's roster, another notable offseason development in Grand Forks was a renovation of UND's training facilities, which were already considered to be among the most impressive in North American hockey (at all levels). This includes a 1,400 square foot High Altitude training room, one of the largest such facilities on Earth.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxperSiouxFan said:

We are heading to Denver for the games.  Is there any place that has UND pregame festivities?

The University of North Dakota Hockey Team is gearing up to face off against the Denver Pioneers on Friday, Dec. 1, and Saturday, Dec. 2. We're turning up the heat with pregame festivities at the Campus Lounge, and we want you to be part of the action! No need to register – just rock your UND gear. 

UND Pregame Party - Denver
Friday, Dec. 1 | 4:30-6:30 p.m. MT
Saturday, Dec. 2 | 3:30-5:30 p.m. MT
Campus Lounge 
701 S. University Blvd., Denver, CO 80209

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ToDaClub said:

The University of North Dakota Hockey Team is gearing up to face off against the Denver Pioneers on Friday, Dec. 1, and Saturday, Dec. 2. We're turning up the heat with pregame festivities at the Campus Lounge, and we want you to be part of the action! No need to register – just rock your UND gear. 

UND Pregame Party - Denver
Friday, Dec. 1 | 4:30-6:30 p.m. MT
Saturday, Dec. 2 | 3:30-5:30 p.m. MT
Campus Lounge 
701 S. University Blvd., Denver, CO 80209

Thanks. We will be there. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goon said:

UND hasn’t swept in Denver since November 20, 2003, that’s 20 years. 

They did in the Rieger series(I know I know it was a tie nationally back then). But if we're calling 3v3 wins sweeps now, it's a sweep.  Otherwise we're just looking for a storyline using semantics.

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

They did in the Rieger series(I know I know it was a tie nationally back then). But if we're calling 3v3 wins sweeps now, it's a sweep.  Otherwise we're just looking for a storyline using semantics.

It was a win and a tie. 

IMG_0027.png

As my NCHC subscription renewed today, I did a little research into this season's schedule re: whether or not it's worth it to have NCHC.tv.  The majority of Sioux games in Twin Cities can be seen on Midco Sports channel (1270 in western suburbs); you have to have the Sports Package through Comcast to get the channel.  The BU games were on ESPN+ which is a streaming service.  One game each against Western and DU are on CBS Sports; also part of the aforementioned Comcast Sports package.  That leaves two games each against Miami, St. Cloud, CC, and Omaha plus one game against DU that are ONLY on NCHC.tv.  So that's nine games that are only on NCHC.tv (although the St Cloud games are usually on the Fox 9 Plus channel).  Anyway, nine Sioux games for roughly $100 is not bad, although the production value from non-Midco broadcasts range from mediocre to terrible.(looking at you CC and St Clown)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SiouxperSiouxFan said:

We are heading to Denver for the games.  Is there any place that has UND pregame festivities?

Spanky’s, Crimson & Gold, The Pioneer are typically hoping bar restaurants nearby that lots of UND fans will congregate at. 

3 hours ago, Kevin G said:

It will be interesting to see if there's a noticeable difference in UND's endurance--especially in the third period--after having used their new altitude room. 

Sure the High Altitude room might help but I think Rieger figured out the secret to success in Denver is hot wings and beer right before game time . 

27 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

As my NCHC subscription renewed today, I did a little research into this season's schedule re: whether or not it's worth it to have NCHC.tv.  The majority of Sioux games in Twin Cities can be seen on Midco Sports channel (1270 in western suburbs); you have to have the Sports Package through Comcast to get the channel.  The BU games were on ESPN+ which is a streaming service.  One game each against Western and DU are on CBS Sports; also part of the aforementioned Comcast Sports package.  That leaves two games each against Miami, St. Cloud, CC, and Omaha plus one game against DU that are ONLY on NCHC.tv.  So that's nine games that are only on NCHC.tv (although the St Cloud games are usually on the Fox 9 Plus channel).  Anyway, nine Sioux games for roughly $100 is not bad, although the production value from non-Midco broadcasts range from mediocre to terrible.(looking at you CC and St Clown)

And remember 9 games for just those interested in watching only UND games, but dozens more available for viewing pleasure as well is worth it for addicts looking for value.

• Upvote 1

DENVER — UND has arrived in Denver after a quick Thursday morning flight.

The most notable part of the trip was after landing in Denver.

The team plane stopped on the tarmac for about 10 minutes. After some confusion as to what was happening, we saw Air Force One roll directly in front of the team plane.

That would explain the stoppage.

UND is scheduled to practice at Magness Arena at 5:30 p.m. Mountain/6:30 p.m. Central.

More in-depth article on the altitude room that UND added:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/unds-altitude-chamber-has-helped-strength-training-will-it-have-benefits-for-series-at-denver

One unique change is the addition of a 1,400 square foot altitude chamber.

UND's staff will close the doors, turn up the altitude to 9,000 feet and allow the players to train at altitude — much like the U.S. Olympic teams do by putting their training facility in Colorado Springs.

"John Fitzgerald, our exercise scientist, through all of his research, (determined) 9,000 feet appears to be the most beneficial," UND athletic trainer Mark Poolman said.

This summer, UND moved weight lifting machines into the room and started working out there.

When the season started, UND dialed it back to make sure energy levels are high among the players.

But three weeks ago, they began using the altitude room for another reason — to prepare for a road hockey series at the University of Denver.

"In November, we started, once a week, to do repeated sprinting on the bike," Poolman said. "It sounds pretty minimal. It's five seconds all-out and 25 seconds of recovery. They're only spending 7-12 minutes in there. The idea is just recovery, being able to recover faster.

"Hopefully, they won't get altitude sickness," Poolman said. "That would be the benefit I'm hoping for. As far as being in shape to play in altitude, I don't know the effect. It might be a little bit psychological, knowing they've been working in altitude. There might be some benefit.

"But again, we're just starting slow, making sure we're smart about what we're doing. We're not trying to do too much to where it affects them on the ice. If we work them hard in there, it takes them 48 hours to recover from that. That's not something we're looking for."