SiouxSports.com Forum

MSU Purple Cows @ UND - Saturday Game Day Thread

fightingsioux4life

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Anyone else getting sick of goaltenders having "great games" against us?

After having two "great games" against us, Close gets lit up by the Badgers. Now watch this guy get lit up in his next game.

We will face good goaltending all year in the NCHC. Are we going to pull out the old "hot goalie" excuse every time we don't win?

I bet BU's goaltender is licking his chops for next weekend. It could get him on the early season Hobey watch list. :silly:

We did light him up last night to the point he got yanked 12 minutes into the game. 

• Upvote 3

Crazy what happened Adam Johnson former Duluth/Hibbing guy with Nottingham. Skate blade to neck and died. Things like this make us realize much bigger stuff out there. 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12683967/amp/Horror-ice-hockey-star-horrifically-hurt-game-Nottingham-Sheffield-teams-fans-told-leave-stadium-major-medical-emergency.html

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 01grad said:

Crazy what happened Adam Johnson former Duluth/Hibbing guy with Nottingham. Skate blade to neck and died. Things like this make us realize much bigger stuff out there. 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12683967/amp/Horror-ice-hockey-star-horrifically-hurt-game-Nottingham-Sheffield-teams-fans-told-leave-stadium-major-medical-emergency.html

Died is not mentioned in any of the news articles I found. 

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Johannes (getter) would be great with O-Mac (setter) and Perron (scorer). Plus he has size, grit and good skill. 

I thought he might get a crack with one of the top groups, but he sometimes holds on to the puck when a pass is warranted.  Since he is scoring now, maybe let James or Strinden get a crack first.

Just now, 01grad said:

Somebody had mentioned someplace else that a friend in the know of hockey communities said it will be more publicly known soon

Letting relatives know first I suppose.  Truly sad.  It is why I cringe every time I see head over heel celebrations in hockey hogpiles when celebrating.  That needs to be stopped at all levels, as they are basically wearing weapons on their feet.  Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Sorry, very late to the party here but what happened during the handshake line? I noticed a Mavs player bumped Johannes and then there were words exchanged. Was this because of his cele after scoring?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/hunter-johannes-delivers-again-with-third-period-game-tying-goal

A scuffle nearly broke out in the handshake line Saturday night in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

The target of Minnesota State's ire appeared to be UND fifth-year senior forward Hunter Johannes.

"Somebody came at Riese (Gaber) and somebody grabbed me from behind, just saying a few things," Johannes said.

What were they upset about?

"I don't know," Johannes said. "They were just yelling at me. I don't think they liked that I scored, honestly."

He seemed to celebrate his tying goal a bit near the Mankato bench, which may have irked a few of their players a little.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, tnt said:

I thought he might get a crack with one of the top groups, but he sometimes holds on to the puck when a pass is warranted.  Since he is scoring now, maybe let James or Strinden get a crack first.

Let me preface my comment by saying I'm a big fan of Schmaltz but I'll again repeat he's a center not a wing. His offensive upside isn't fit for a 2nd line winger. He's a college coach's dream as a 3nd line centerman with good 2 way wingers. Then you have a top 9.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let my preface my comment by saying I'm a big fan of Schmaltz but I'll again repeat he's a center not a wing. His offensive upside isn't fit for a 2nd line winger. He's a college coach's dream as a 3nd line centerman with good 2 way wingers. Then you have a top 9.

This 100%. He is responsible in the D zone with limited offensive upside. They need to give James a shot with OMac and Blake. I think Albrecht or Strinden would fit in well with Jamernik and Johannes. 

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Letting relatives know first I suppose.  Truly sad.  It is why I cringe every time I see head over heel celebrations in hockey hogpiles when celebrating.  That needs to be stopped at all levels, as they are basically wearing weapons on their feet.  Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Unfortunately I can verify that it's true. 

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/hunter-johannes-delivers-again-with-third-period-game-tying-goal

He seemed to celebrate his tying goal a bit near the Mankato bench, which may have irked a few of their players a little.

He gave their bench a look after his ostentatious celebration. Not surprised he was the target, but personally I'd be more pissed at the 3 (!) players he caught napping on that play. If it was any of those three, that's incredibly poor sportsmanship.

26 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

He gave their bench a look after his ostentatious celebration. Not surprised he was the target, but personally I'd be more pissed at the 3 (!) players he caught napping on that play. If it was any of those three, that's incredibly poor sportsmanship.

Whatever, I loved it. A lot of pride on that Purple cow team. 

58 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I loved the sniper but someone needs to remind him we don’t do that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, burd said:

I like the way Mankato plays, frankly.   

Yes, me too.  If I didn't know, I'd think its still Mike Hastings behind the bench.

Credit to MSU Athletic Director for getting a coach who can use the existing talent.   Will be interestin gto see how they evolve as he gets more chance to recruit players.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Whatever, I loved it. A lot of pride on that Purple cow team. 

There is a 2 ton chip on the shoulder.of these guys. You could hear it in some of the quotes from Sam Morton this summer. That dude is the definition of a leader. It's unfortunate that all our Pairwise building Games are at the beginning of the year because I see this team like the sandelin teams where they build throughout the year and peak at the end. I'm not predicting a national championship, but I do believe they are going to get stronger and stronger as the year goes on.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Yes, me too.  If I didn't know, I'd think its still Mike Hastings behind the bench.

Credit to MSU Athletic Director for getting a coach who can use the existing talent.   Will be interestin gto see how they evolve as he gets more chance to recruit players.

Helps that they’re identical twins 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, 01grad said:

This happened to Mitch Vig in practice at UND in the mid-1990's. Blais and his staff were able to stop the bleeding before he bled out. Vig was cut on the wrist and not the neck, but he still could have died without immediate intervention.

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This happened to Mitch Vig in practice at UND in the mid-1990's. Blais and his staff were able to stop the bleeding before he bled out. Vig was cut on the wrist and not the neck, but he still could have died without immediate intervention.

A cut carotid doesn't give you much time.  

1 minute ago, burd said:

A cut carotid doesn't give you much time.  

If I remember right with the micalachuck incident, one of the trainers was a Vietnam medic or something and reached in and pinched off the artery. Such a terrible tragedy, thoughts are with Adam Johnson’s family friends and everyone at that arena. I can’t imagine being in attendance for that.