SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU @ The UND 10/14/2023

SiouxFan100

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

What's even a trick play anymore? Screen? Counter? Reverse? Jet-sweep? RPO? Wildcat? Option?
All of those include some sort of misdirection or action to deceive the defense.

Don't really care what UND runs, just make sure they execute it.

For UND a trick play is Tommy throwing the ball further than 8 yards.

That would really get the defense guessing!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Everyone runs some form of trick plays. You could make the argument a play action pass is a trick play.  Every offense is trying to deceive the Defense.   It is part of the UND offense.  I just hope they don't run "trick"plays that result in huge loses or turnovers.  (the Drive killers)

44 minutes ago, Big Green said:

If it works it is a gutsy call by the coach.  If it fails than the Fan's hold it against the coach for 2+ years.

The big factor in the heartburn is the pathetic execution - even after we knew they smelled it out we fumbled around a bit then ran it.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Can we not just beat a good team without having to rely on trick plays?

Every single big game there are the comments that we are going to need to use trick plays to beat the opposition. It gets pretty annoying knowing that our only chance to beat a good team is to hope our trick plays work.

And there's nothing wrong with trick plays. Just wish we could once believe that we can beat a good team straight up because we are better than them and not have to rely on trick plays to win. I'd be willing to bet NDSU and SDSU never go into games thinking that they are going to have to use trick plays to win. 

I agree with you. But actually didn't Boise use a half back pass against us? SDSU also used a trick play against us one of the last 2-3 times we played them. Totally get your point though and agree. Against these really stout defenses, we have to use the right trick play of we are going to do it.... otherwise they sniff it out. Also trick plays are harder for UND than almost anyone else because everyone is aware we run them all the time so they are always looking for it. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Can we not just beat a good team without having to rely on trick plays?

Every single big game there are the comments that we are going to need to use trick plays to beat the opposition. It gets pretty annoying knowing that our only chance to beat a good team is to hope our trick plays work.

And there's nothing wrong with trick plays. Just wish we could once believe that we can beat a good team straight up because we are better than them and not have to rely on trick plays to win. I'd be willing to bet NDSU and SDSU never go into games thinking that they are going to have to use trick plays to win. 

Amen! If we in the coin flip take the ball and punch them in the mouth.  Crowd will be rocking early, we must take advantage.  I not as confident as I was a few weeks ago, but we are tough at home.  Let's go Hawks.... 24-20 good guys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Three keys to winning this weekend:

1.  Stop the run.

2.  Stop the run.

3.  Stop the run. 

From the little I know about NDSU football I've heard that all they do is QB run, so you only need "one" Stop the run.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:57 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

NDSU never been able to afford that, and UND hasn’t held that ranking for over 15 years ….

The #1 team in ND ranking is up for grabs (again) and that needs to be the main priority come Saturday. Get that ranking and bring it back to UND for the first time over 15 years … 

Lose to us in 2019 and they still win the title. Without their title runs every year is a big hit to their notoriety. Blood in the water for UND….

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Lose to us in 2019 and they still win the title. Without their title runs every year is a big hit to their notoriety. Blood in the water for UND….

UND hasn’t been able to pitch to recruits that they’re the best football program in the state for over 15 years. That has hurt. Many ND and MN recruits have bypassed UND for ag school football during that span, and then gone on to win championships for the ag school.

If UND can start to win head-to-head matchups against the ag school, that will change, and, as history has shown time and time again, the tide will turn for UND football. UND will ascend into a title contender.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 61hawk said:

Is UND really now supposed to be called "The UND"?  That's almost as retarded as when the University of South Carolina went from USC to UofSC and the last I heard has returned to USC.

I requested this get changed earlier in the week. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 61hawk said:

Is UND really now supposed to be called "The UND"?  That's almost as retarded as when the University of South Carolina went from USC to UofSC and the last I heard has returned to USC.

It's a joke and a poke at "The Ohio State". 

• Upvote 2