SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU @ The UND 10/14/2023

SiouxFan100

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Chess? More like eating crayons.

this is the same coach that went for it on 4th down...........with the lead........on your own 30 or so..........and after the opposing coach said i know what your gonna do so don't do it.......and he still did.

bubba can bubba at any time.

• Upvote 4

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

this is the same coach that went for it on 4th down...........with the lead........on your own 30 or so..........and after the opposing coach said i know what your gonna do so don't do it.......and he still did.

bubba can bubba at any time.

Dang ... blind squirrel found a nut. 

• Upvote 3

Our offense proved they can move the ball against some athletes when they played Boise State.  And that was with a pretty hectic crowd to deal with.  Bubba not putting the foot on the gas in this game and trying to score the football based on that NDSU isn't as good defensively as they've been in the past would be a mistake.  

Great time to get over the hump and beat them as FCS opponents.  It may take living outside his comfort level a bit with taking some chances, but if we don't we are talking about "maybe in Fargo" next season.  

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Our offense proved they can move the ball against some athletes when they played Boise State.  And that was with a pretty hectic crowd to deal with.  Bubba not putting the foot on the gas in this game and trying to score the football based on that NDSU isn't as good defensively as they've been in the past would be a mistake.  

Great time to get over the hump and beat them as FCS opponents.  It may take living outside his comfort level a bit with taking some chances, but if we don't we are talking about "maybe in Fargo" next season.  

Crowd wasn’t that hectic @ Boise. Game in SDSU this year and games in the past in Fargodome are way louder when UND on offense. Boise State game outcome was UND just pissing themselves and being a mental mess because the coaching staff failed to prepare them to win a “big bad” FBS game. 

UND hasn’t shown they have the balls (my apologies to any sensitive ears on here) to beat the big boys yet, especially this season, but the NDSU game being in Grand Forks / Alerus Center where UND plays well is the only hope.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I would expect to see some trick plays.

15 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Three keys to winning this weekend:

1.  Stop the run.

2.  Stop the run.

3.  Stop the run. 

What's the best way to go about doing that?

My opinion for what it's worth (and that's often not much):

1 - We run the ball and win the time of possession battle - the best way to stop NDSU's running attack is to keep it on the sideline.  That means running the football, attacking the perimeter with our quick passing game, and grinding out drives will be huge!  Can we do this?  If NDSU is smart they'll know we struggle over the top, so they'll keep their defenders close to the line of scrimmage to challenge us to beat them over the top.  Can we do it enough to soften them up?  Big question mark in my book (and that's putting it kindly tbh).

2 - We will likely need to stack the box.  I'm not sure our front 7 is stout enough to stop a power run game with a guy like Cole Payton.  They haven't shown it to me yet anyway.  If we do this, we'll have to pick our poison and our DBs will have to play very well to have a shot.  Cam Miller has completed over 70% of his passes every game this year, and only thrown 1 pick, and is also running for 5 yards per carry.  Any talk of him being a poor QB is bull...he's the most efficient QB in the nation if I remember right.  He might not have every tool in the tool belt...but he's dang good at using what he has.  And if his OC and head coach would fully unleash him he'd be even more dangerous IMO.

3 - We need to bend but not break.  Force them into field goals, make them grind out long drives where they can make a mistake and get behind schedule.  To do this we have to be assignment sharp!  No breakdowns in the secondary...or poor run fits.  I saw enough of that at SDSU to last me a year!  

I'm emotionally hedging here....NDSU 34 UND 20.  Until UND shows otherwise I don't have much confidence in their big game ability.  I can't tell you all how much I'm craving a heaping plate of crow though!

8 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Can we not just beat a good team without having to rely on trick plays?

Every single big game there are the comments that we are going to need to use trick plays to beat the opposition. It gets pretty annoying knowing that our only chance to beat a good team is to hope our trick plays work.

And there's nothing wrong with trick plays. Just wish we could once believe that we can beat a good team straight up because we are better than them and not have to rely on trick plays to win. I'd be willing to bet NDSU and SDSU never go into games thinking that they are going to have to use trick plays to win. 

so f'n true.........100%

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Can we not just beat a good team without having to rely on trick plays?

Every single big game there are the comments that we are going to need to use trick plays to beat the opposition. It gets pretty annoying knowing that our only chance to beat a good team is to hope our trick plays work.

And there's nothing wrong with trick plays. Just wish we could once believe that we can beat a good team straight up because we are better than them and not have to rely on trick plays to win. I'd be willing to bet NDSU and SDSU never go into games thinking that they are going to have to use trick plays to win. 

I don't disagree but that has been the blue print with this regime.

• Upvote 1