SiouxSports.com Forum

Drake vs UND 9/2/23

SiouxFan100

18 hours ago, McBuckets said:

Not saying Im happy with the kicking performance today but going to focus on the offense scoring 50+ points for the first decade

Danny Freund knows how to coach good offensive football. Offensive line dominated up front like they should against lesser Drake. Tommy Schuster was marvelous again with his escapability, Quincy Vaughn looked good at TE, Trey Feeney got solid reps, #11 Kaminski didn’t play but man does he look the part of a D1 quarterback (from what I saw of him on the sideline and in warmups), Ziebarth looks like a good runner to go with Isaiah Smith (and we didn’t even see Skokna), and lastly, of course, Bo Belquist is an amazing receiver and by far the best weapon this offense has. 

Should be good year offensively. Defense and definitely special teams are both question marks.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I was. Tailgating was really hot,  had quite a few no shows but still fun.  Lots of students walking back to campus after tailgating. Fun second half. It was great that they got lots of players significant playing time. 
Lots of room for improvement defensively and especially special teams.  How quickly we improve in those areas are the key to a good season vs a great season. 

I was there, too. Just curious who I could have bumped into.

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Danny Freund knows how to coach good offensive football. Offensive line dominated up front like they should against lesser Drake. Tommy Schuster was marvelous again with his escapability, Quincy Vaughn looked good at TE, Trey Feeney got solid reps, #11 Kaminski didn’t play but man does he look the part of a D1 quarterback (from what I seen of him on the sideline and in warmups), Ziebarth looks like a good runner to go with Isaiah Smith (and we didn’t even see Skokna), and lastly, of course, Bo Belquist is an amazing receiver and by far the best weapon this offense has. 

Should be good year offensively. Defense and definitely special teams are both question marks.

The Belquist play (College football final plays of the day #3) was absolute wizardry by Danny.  I don't think I've ever seen a play where the receiver gets the ball on a reverse and then becomes the primary on a screen set up after he gives the ball to another guy who gives it back to the QB.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, petey23 said:

To be fair. I can almost guarantee he was told to go in and fair catch the punt. Skokna was not dressed today and I don't know who would have been third option.

The other option is the potential all American corner.  Without Skokna it was limited. 

59 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The Belquist play (College football final plays of the day #3) was absolute wizardry by Danny.  I don't think I've ever seen a play where the receiver gets the ball on a reverse and then becomes the primary on a screen set up after he gives the ball to another guy who gives it back to the QB.  

Link to the plays of the day? 

Been waiting for Z to get his chance and he made the most of it yesterday.  Hope he can keep it up and is 100% for NAU

I don't have any worries on the offensive side of the ball.   I am going to hold judgement on the defense until after the NAU game.  Special Teams OTOH... need to step it up.

• Upvote 4

My biggest concerns about special team play yesterday was more the lackadaisical KO coverage, and the two poor punts. If KO coverage team does their job the opposition should usually start between the 20-30 yd line. Great plays by coverage get keep it inside the 20 and great plays by return team get get it beyond the 30-35. Preferably the KO’s are touchbacks or fair caught. Too soon to know. Missed XP and field goal aren’t good but too soon to tell. 2 bad punts with no pressure on the punter are a definite concern. Those of you who go to practice might know more. 
Although Drake had an experienced line we need to get more pressure on QB. We gave up too many crossing patterns to guys wide open. That usually takes an extra second or so to open up. 

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

My biggest concerns about special team play yesterday was more the lackadaisical KO coverage, and the two poor punts. If KO coverage team does their job the opposition should usually start between the 20-30 yd line. Great plays by coverage get keep it inside the 20 and great plays by return team get get it beyond the 30-35. Preferably the KO’s are touchbacks or fair caught. Too soon to know. Missed XP and field goal aren’t good but too soon to tell. 2 bad punts with no pressure on the punter are a definite concern. Those of you who go to practice might know more. 
Although Drake had an experienced line we need to get more pressure on QB. We gave up too many crossing patterns to guys wide open. That usually takes an extra second or so to open up. 

are-you-serious-clark-clark.gif

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

are-you-serious-clark-clark.gif

Yeah. If anyone thinks a missed XP from a guy who didn’t miss last year is cause for panic then I would strongly disagree. I also happen to believe you need to make XP’s and shorter FG’s regardless of the where the laces are. The snap and hold are are an issue cuz it can throw off your timing. Having said that, if he keeps having trouble with routine FG’s we are in trouble. 
Stevens has the leg to kick it into and out of the end zone but has been inconsistent. College FB teams need to be able to cover a KO. You can’t cut block on a kickoff and it’s tough to hold a block very long in the open field when the opposition gets a 10-20yd running start. It is best to have a kicker who can kick it through the end zone every kick but if you can’t do that you better have really good KO coverage  

So yeah, I’m serious in saying that one game is too soon to quit on these guys and when a teammate struggles his teammates need to cover for him. I’m also serious about my concerns regarding our punter. If we can’t punt better that 35-40 yds with only fair hang time, it will cost us points and allow opponents to frequently “flip the field” on change of possessions. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Some on here love to drag up trick plays that didn't work (even if it happened more than five years ago) and forget the ones that did. Yes, they are complicated plays where everything needs to go right and it is quite possible that play does not work against a higher level opponent but it makes them think about it and spend some time on the possibility.  Love the call, the game should be fun for the players too.