SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

5 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

What would you say the odds are that Sather is the head coach come next year? I know what you guys want and I’ve obviously gone back and forth but what do you think will actually happen. 

Can’t extend him. Can’t have a coach on a one year contract. I think it’s obvious what needs to be done. I would need to see an example of a coach turning it around after having a 3-24 stretch in conference play in years 3 and 4 or later in a program 

3 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Can’t extend him. Can’t have a coach on a one year contract. I think it’s obvious what needs to be done. I would need to see an example of a coach turning it around after having a 3-24 stretch in conference play in years 3 and 4 or later in a program 

It’s not nearly as bad % wise but Scott Drew went 12-52 his first four years at Baylor. 

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Is that in just conference games? When I looked it up I saw him at a decent amount better than that. 36-69 overall record in first 4 years

Conference. That’s the 3-24 record that was thrown out there. Sather is actually 36-69 overall too lol although that may be a few games behind. Not sure. 

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

If UND moves on, I really hope UND announces more details about plans for the basketball facilities before they start the hiring process.  Would help to show potential applicants that this isn't a career ending job.  

I think this is huge. Right now this will look like a dead end job unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think this is huge. Right now this will look like a dead end job unfortunately. 

The “dead end job” is such an over played narrative. This university and Ralph Engelstad Foundation won’t let that happen.. Chaves head should be on the block as well tho with his piss poor planning/ scheduling & booster backing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Conference. That’s the 3-24 record that was thrown out there. Sather is actually 36-69 overall too lol although that may be a few games behind. Not sure. 

Yeah he’s 37-74 right now in 3.5 years at UND. 33.33% win rate in all games. If you take out the NAIA/D3 games it’s very low. Less than 25% against other D1 teams. Combine that with a 3-24 conference record the last two years I’m not sure how you could possibly justify extending him. It would make 0 sense. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Yeah he’s 37-74 right now in 3.5 years at UND. 33.33% win rate in all games. If you take out the NAIA/D3 games it’s very low. Less than 25% against other D1 teams. Combine that with a 3-24 conference record the last two years I’m not sure how you could possibly justify extending him. It would make 0 sense. 

I’m not even trying to defend Sather. Was just pointing out a now successful head coach with a similar start at his current program although Scott Drew’s came with some different hurdles at Baylor at the time. 

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m not even trying to defend Sather. Was just pointing out a now successful head coach with a similar start at his current program although Scott Drew’s came with some different hurdles at Baylor at the time. 

Which is fair. Sather also had a decent record his first year here with Jones’s guys. Take that year out and below 30% win rate. It just goes to show that he hasn’t been a good recruiter on top of him not being a good basketball coach. 

• Upvote 1

If we are limited on money I say take a chance on a up and coming coach that's willing to take our money.   Either it works out and they leave in a few years or it doesn't and we look for another .  If that's all und is willing to put into its basketball program.   I hope we cough up some more money and get a winner 

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Is that in just conference games? When I looked it up I saw him at a decent amount better than that. 36-69 overall record in first 4 years

I thought it was 37-72 they had the traffic on the TV this past weekend. 

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sather is gone.  The writing is on the wall.  With only one year left on his contract, it's not going to be a huge buyout.  Announcement should be made the day after their eventual loss in the Summit League Tournament.  Hit the ground running and have this position open right away.  

You have any inside information or you are guessing?   Anything he could do in the up coming games that could change this?   I am ready for a change and new direction so I am all on board! 

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sather is gone.  The writing is on the wall.  With only one year left on his contract, it's not going to be a huge buyout.  Announcement should be made the day after their eventual loss in the Summit League Tournament.  Hit the ground running and have this position open right away.  

Und has to accept applications for like 14 or 30 days right?  Why not start process now and have interim coach?  Could announce or inform players of who the new coach will be soon after the season ends, which could help to retain key players.  Would also give the new coach more time to recruit before next season.  Also gives our assistant a chance to show what he can do in the meantime.

13 hours ago, GoodGood said:

I wouldn't normally condone it, but with the way things have changed, mainly with the transfer portal, I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

12 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Which is fair. Sather also had a decent record his first year here with Jones’s guys. Take that year out and below 30% win rate. It just goes to show that he hasn’t been a good recruiter on top of him not being a good basketball coach. 

So he was clearly an upgrade over the prior coach? Too bad the program was already spiraling before he showed up.
Two freshman of the year (regardless of whether they were pushed into extended playing time) that have other D1 offers disagrees with part of your recruiting comments. 

Now if you said trouble retaining talent, then we might be on to something.

12 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Sather was chaves guy from start

sather wouldn’t have applied here if it wasn’t for chaves

Oh really? What was the connection to get him to apply?

15 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If Chaves extends Sather, it is Chaves that needs to be shown the door.

I'd really like to know where his narrative is coming from? I don't think anyone has advocated or even thought an extension is on the table.

The only way I could see that remotely happening is if the team shows a little more life the rest of the season, Sather can show he has a vision and the future is on the roster and those on the roster make it clear they aren't staying if Sather leaves. And at that point, you're likely talking a 1 year extension to show that it will work. Again, no is advocating for this, but this is the only way I see this made up scenario people railing against being even a possibility.

On the flip side, a group could get together, present the check for the buyout of next year's contract, and we move on. I'm sure we have some people here who are ready to write a check to help out their cause.

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Und has to accept applications for like 14 or 30 days right?  Why not start process now and have interim coach?  Could announce or inform players of who the new coach will be soon after the season ends, which could help to retain key players.  Would also give the new coach more time to recruit before next season.  Also gives our assistant a chance to show what he can do in the meantime.

The job only has to be open for 3 days minimum. 

23 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

The job only has to be open for 3 days minimum. 

South Dakota does it right

has a coach the day the football,coach retired 

how often does the AD meet with coaches during the year to see how things are going or raise concerns?