SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

12 hours ago, SD UND said:

Wait a minute… is that reason I hear knocking at the door?

You are 100% correct on this. Until UND and boosters pony up some serious NIL money, UND can’t even get in play with the transfers that you NEED.

wonder why ORU has kept Abmas and all their other guys, oh and bring in 2 power 5 transfers…. I’m sure it’s only because Paul mills is just a great coach, it would have nothing to do with anything else.

I have no idea but do you really think ORU is paying Max Abmas anywhere close to what P5 teams could? What about Grant Nelson at NDSU? Serious talk about him getting drafted this year. Max Abmas has tested draft waters before. I’m sure both would be making 6 figures like Baylor Scheierman is at Creighton. Baylor knew he couldn’t get that money in Brookings, and I doubt Nelson is making a ton in Fargo or Max in Tulsa. So must be something other than money keeping them in their programs…

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

I have no idea but do you really think ORU is paying Max Abmas anywhere close to what P5 teams could? What about Grant Nelson at NDSU? Serious talk about him getting drafted this year. Max Abmas has tested draft waters before. I’m sure both would be making 6 figures like Baylor Scheierman is at Creighton. Baylor knew he couldn’t get that money in Brookings, and I doubt Nelson is making a ton in Fargo or Max in Tulsa. So must be something other than money keeping them in their programs…

Read mcfooleys article on Nelson and the nba scouts

they say at this point he won’t be drafted 

13 hours ago, SD UND said:

Wait a minute… is that reason I hear knocking at the door?

You are 100% correct on this. Until UND and boosters pony up some serious NIL money, UND can’t even get in play with the transfers that you NEED.

wonder why ORU has kept Abmas and all their other guys, oh and bring in 2 power 5 transfers…. I’m sure it’s only because Paul mills is just a great coach, it would have nothing to do with anything else.

How did Jones get Marlon Stewart?? NIL wasn't even a thing at that time and we got him to come to Grand Forks from playing at Creighton! Yes, NIL would help but it is not the end all be all. UND could get guys that played at bigger schools that can come here and make an impact and be 'The Guy'. That closed minded thinking that we can never get guys because we don't pay them enough is the reason UND is in such a deep hole. There are other ways to get guys here from bigger schools other than just NIL.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Kab said:

Read mcfooleys article on Nelson and the nba scouts

they say at this point he won’t be drafted 

He'll go through the draft process this offseason. They said scouts went to see Scheierman in Sioux Falls last year and came away more impressed with Nelson. He's not as new of prospect as the recent viral video makes it seem

• Upvote 2

On 1/13/2023 at 8:06 AM, HoopsFan03 said:

That is true! It is going to have to be all about transfers moving forward. Find guys that didn't get to play much at a better school that want to come to UND and be the man. In the Summit you really only need 2 guys. You need 2 guys that on any given night can take over a game and win it for you. You can easily find 2 guys like that in the transfer portal

why look into the portal when you have danielson.....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

im not a jalun hater........buuuut.....would it be hard to at least try trey as point forward?

so 

trey

norman

brooks

bj

tt

levias jalun and mitch off the bench

see what happens?

I know there was some talk about using Trey as PG. I’m not opposed to that. Trent doesn’t necessarily do anything to make the offense run. Think Trey could do it better probably. Defensively is another topic. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I know there was some talk about using Trey as PG. I’m not opposed to that. Trent doesn’t necessarily do anything to make the offense run. Think Trey could do it better probably. Defensively is another topic. 

with our offense is there really a difference between the 1 and 2...and maybe the 3?

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don’t think so. Just need some capable bodies to get the ball up the court. 

I don't mind Trey at the point but that isn't going to change anything about the pace that UND plays at. That is Sather's basketball philosophy. He wants to play as slow as possible and try turn the game into a rock fight. So no new PG is going to make us play any faster

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I don't mind Trey at the point but that isn't going to change anything about the pace that UND plays at. That is Sather's basketball philosophy. He wants to play as slow as possible and try turn the game into a rock fight. So no new PG is going to make us play any faster

That’s true. I think we have some of the players where we could really push the floor but we don’t. We have to be towards the bottom in fast break points. 

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

That’s true. I think we have some of the players where we could really push the floor but we don’t. We have to be towards the bottom in fast break points. 

We absolutely have the players to play at a fast pace and score the ball. Upping the pace would help with so many problems but sometimes coaches are stubborn and won't adjust their philosophy to better suit the players they have on the roster

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

brooks steal and dunk were the first "fast break" points i can remember for weeks???????????

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

How did Jones get Marlon Stewart?? NIL wasn't even a thing at that time and we got him to come to Grand Forks from playing at Creighton! Yes, NIL would help but it is not the end all be all. UND could get guys that played at bigger schools that can come here and make an impact and be 'The Guy'. That closed minded thinking that we can never get guys because we don't pay them enough is the reason UND is in such a deep hole. There are other ways to get guys here from bigger schools other than just NIL.

Maybe the fact that marlons teammate, Cortez Seales, and best friend was at UND… maybe that had something to do with it. 

that’s actually been well documented thru numerous interviews 

13 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Maybe the fact that marlons teammate, Cortez Seales, and best friend was at UND… maybe that had something to do with it. 

that’s actually been well documented thru numerous interviews 

Still doesn’t mean we can’t get good transfers to UND. Keep that closed mind and see how it keeps working for Sather 

A lot of people silent after the loss today. We shot an ungodly number from 3 today and we were still 7 points worse than the next worst team in the league. If we don’t shoot that well we lose by 20+. We aren’t even close to being the second worst team in our league. 

Here’s to another year of being a bottom 10 D1 team in the whole nation!!

• Upvote 1