SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

1 minute ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I was thinking today that it sure has felt like a long time since we have won 2 conference games in a row. And sure enough I just looked it up and it has been 710 DAYS since we last won two conference games in a row. All the way back to February 13th & 14th 2021 when we beat USD back to back at home is the last time. Pretty crazy!!

They did win back to back last year.  Omaha on February 5th, St. Thomas on February 10th

I thought I would do some checking on where we stand as team in Division I Basketball at the present time and compared to others in conference. I found that we are currently ranked 325 out 363 teams in Division I and we are not lowest rank team in the conference that is Omaha at 334. ORU is ranked 97 and SDSU is at 196. The conference spread of 5 through 10 is NDSU at 279 to Omaha and we have four teams ranked in the 300's. If you look youngest teams in the conference are near the bottom and the top 3 teams are most experienced is at the top.  I find if you start doing some analysis results of teams are more complicated than some armchair experts here like to rant about.  I think you should look at Denver school that has changed coaches at least twice in last 5 or 6 years and is similar to us in that they have successful hockey program and they do not have football program like we do see where their basketball program has continued faulter further with rapid coaching changes. I believe the needed changes here at UND is at administration in help supporting other sports bringing them on equal level of support that hockey sees here.  (This is ESPN ranking by BPI and here is the Summit conference.  the address is http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/overview/group/49)

I f

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I really hope that's the case.  Have you actually talked someone at UND or the REA that stated that specifically?

Would be awesome if they could incorporate a legit B-dubs style UND sports bar somehow, potentially along with an additional entrance.  Would make for the perfect pregame bar for all of the games at the REA, including hockey.  Could also incorporate gambling, with UND athletics as the non profit beneficiary, without anyone getting upset.  With something like 60+ home games at the REA complex, you would think it could stay pretty busy.  If they install permanent seating, maybe it could be incorporated with the sports bar somehow, or at least accessible from the Betty.  Place would be hopping before hockey games... one can dream.

looking back at ralphs background why he didn't incorporate an attached hotel/restaurant/bar into his project?

UND has lead at the half in 5 of the 7 previous games. 
They have 3 freshmen who have a chance to be all conference players. (Elijah, BJ, Treyson) 

The team has been in every game and one could argue a chance to win each one. 
unfortunately the record does not reflect what we all would want 

This team has improved and shows it can compete at the top of the conf, they have very little D1 experience and are learning on the fly

The team has one 5th year player while the top teams have multiple players. 
Hard to look ahead, but the league rosters will look completely different next year. 

Players typically grow the most between their freshmen and sophomore year! 

Having to deal with Covid players and NLI. Next season things will return to a more normal NCAA. 
This program needs to keep intact and continue to grow. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, FightingSiouxHawks said:

They have 3 freshmen who have a chance to be all conference players. (Elijah, BJ, Treyson) 

This team has improved and shows it can compete at the top of the conf, they have very little D1 experience and are learning on the fly

Hard to look ahead, but the league rosters will look completely different next year. 

Having to deal with Covid players and NLI. Next season things will return to a more normal NCAA. 

This narrative that we are an insanely young team is beyond over played and has very little truth. We have 2 freshman that play minutes..... the other 4 players that play significant minutes are 3 juniors and a senior....... Four of our six guys that consistently get significant minutes are UPPERCLASSMAN!!! I just don't understand how people still try use the excuse that we are a young team and that is why we are losing games.

We are 22 games into the season. These "young freshman" have had plenty of time that they are no longer adjusting. They have been on campus since the summer practicing and playing at the D1 level. They aren't "learning on the fly" anymore at this point. 

10 hours ago, FightingSiouxHawks said:

So we’re back to blaming players, NIL, and the transfer portal. Nothing to do with the coach winning less than 20% of his d1 games in year 4 in the program. And I forgot the Summit League is bad this year. Spots 2-9 are a free for all and we’re not even in the mix.  Sigh… hopefully our luck turns around soon

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

This narrative that we are an insanely young team is beyond over played and has very little truth.

Around just under 40% of the minutes played this year come from kids who had never played a D1 college basketball game before this season.
Levias did play at a community college two years ago and then was injured last year, so if you want to pull out his minutes, that still leaves 1/3 of the total minutes being played by true freshman.

That clearly isn't the only issue, those players give UND the best chance to win so they need to be on the floor. They also need to adapt to the speed and learn to win at this level. They are running out of time on this season, hopefully some of the flashes they've shown can hold up instead of panicking and watching leads slip away.

Just for comparison, NDSU also has around 38% of their minutes coming from freshman. They are also, not surprisingly, incredibly inconsistent. They have the advantage of leaning on a fringe NBA prospect and one of the better big men in the Summit in Nelson and Morgan along with Skunberg who has played quite a few minutes in his couple years there.

Oral Roberts has 1 freshman on their roster and he averages a whopping 7.4 minutes a game.

SDSU is at about 27% (including RS-Fr Mors).

7 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

NDSU lost 90% of their scoring from last year and beat us by 25 on our home court. Wish we had that kind of luck 

It wasn't even near 90%, with Nelson, Morgan and Skunberg returning, 2 of which play at around an all-conference caliber, but yes they lost a lot. And their incredibly inconsistency shows it.

However our game against them was a complete joke. The coaching staff has been pretty straight forward on that, saying that was the one game this year the team absolutely did not compete. I would be surprised to see a similar result tomorrow.

Let’s say Sather isn’t fired right after the season and then 2 of Omot, Brooks and Eaglestaff enter the portal? Are those that are wanting to keep Sather still in that camp? If they all stay, we may be onto something if Herbst crushes the recruiting trail but if they leave we are back to an empty cupboard with no highly sought after recruits coming in. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Around just under 40% of the minutes played this year come from kids who had never played a D1 college basketball game before this season.
Levias did play at a community college two years ago and then was injured last year, so if you want to pull out his minutes, that still leaves 1/3 of the total minutes being played by true freshman.

That clearly isn't the only issue, those players give UND the best chance to win so they need to be on the floor. They also need to adapt to the speed and learn to win at this level. They are running out of time on this season, hopefully some of the flashes they've shown can hold up instead of panicking and watching leads slip away.

Just for comparison, NDSU also has around 38% of their minutes coming from freshman. They are also, not surprisingly, incredibly inconsistent. They have the advantage of leaning on a fringe NBA prospect and one of the better big men in the Summit in Nelson and Morgan along with Skunberg who has played quite a few minutes in his couple years there.

Oral Roberts has 1 freshman on their roster and he averages a whopping 7.4 minutes a game.

SDSU is at about 27% (including RS-Fr Mors).

Here I will list it out for you and please inform me where I am wrong.

Jalun Trent - Junior, Treysen Eaglestaff - Freshman, Brady Danielson - Senior, BJ Omot - Freshman, TT - Junior, Matt Norman - Junior

4 of those 6 guys are upperclassman! The excuse of us being a 'young' team is just not true. Plus, these freshman aren't just your ordinary run of the mill freshman. Mr. Basketball in ND and Mr. Basketball finalist in MN. They have been on campus since probably late July to early August. 22 games into the season. BJ has started every single game. You can't seriously blame us losing on those two being "inexperienced" and "learning on the fly". That is just 100% false and a copout.

But don't worry, there will always be an excuse and never just that the coach needs to look himself in the mirror and realize that he can't coach at the D1 level. Maybe we'll have better luck when we play only seniors and we are an "old" team. Give me a break!

Lots of room for improvement for the whole program. To blame the players without blaming the coaches is wrong. To blame the coaches without blaming the players is wrong. To say that the buck rests with the coaches because it is his program is probably accurate.

to single out one problem and ignore the other challenges is wrong

• Upvote 2

JkefARK2_bigger.jpg

Western Illinois HC Rob Jeter has proved that he can get it done and rebuild a program from scratch. Just talking FACTS!! I hope fans are not taking him for granted. It's a big business!! Year 1 - 7-15 Year 2 - 16-16 Year 3 - 14-8: season still in progress

Found this one twitter.  This what the Western Illinois coach has done since being hired in McComb Illinois.  Not exactly a hot bed for basketball.  The University close to bankruptcy.   This was what I was hoping Sather would do for our program.  I am not expecting championships in year one.  But what I would think is that we would start seeing improvements every year.  Instead we have went down hill from year one.  I dont consider this year as a improvement with one additional win so far.  
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

JkefARK2_bigger.jpg

Western Illinois HC Rob Jeter has proved that he can get it done and rebuild a program from scratch. Just talking FACTS!! I hope fans are not taking him for granted. It's a big business!! Year 1 - 7-15 Year 2 - 16-16 Year 3 - 14-8: season still in progress

Found this one twitter.  This what the Western Illinois coach has done since being hired in McComb Illinois.  Not exactly a hot bed for basketball.  The University close to bankruptcy.   This was what I was hoping Sather would do for our program.  I am not expecting championships in year one.  But what I would think is that we would start seeing improvements every year.  Instead we have went down hill from year one.  I dont consider this year as a improvement with one additional win so far.  

Jeter is a hell of a coach, he got a raw deal at Milwaukee.  Western is very lucky to have him 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

Don't see much need for discussion. Finishing dead last in the conference two years in a row might be a new UND athletics low. What @GoodGood said makes the most sense to me, let Sather go now and see how Herbst does the last few weeks. Unfortunately, the only person who might be worse at their job than Sather is Chaves, so who knows how this will play out. As far as players potentially leaving. For how bad this situation is currently, that is a moot issue. There is some talent that you hope stays, but 1 conference win. This program needs a fresh start. 

One of these times, can UND make a home run hire? 

Yeah, but just think of all the life lessons the team learned last night! (sarcasm) :silly:

I always love it when fans lament "losing our talent if we fire the coach".  We have 1 conference win. Does it really matter if we lose that "talent". 

FWIW, Bruns is averging 9 pts on an average team and shooting 41 percent from field. He stuck out here cause we had nobody else.

• Upvote 1