SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

7 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Sather has put UND Men's Basketball in such a deep hole that I don't know how long it is going to take to get out of! What recruit that is a halfway decent player would want to come play for a team that wins 2 conference games a year??? Heck we might not win a single conference game this year. What recruit wants to play for that?? Sather has turned this basketball program into an absolute joke and an absolute embarrassment.

The one nice thing about the transfer portal is it can turn a program around real quick. Have the right coach in and the players will come. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

The one nice thing about the transfer portal is it can turn a program around real quick. Have the right coach in and the players will come. 

That is true! It is going to have to be all about transfers moving forward. Find guys that didn't get to play much at a better school that want to come to UND and be the man. In the Summit you really only need 2 guys. You need 2 guys that on any given night can take over a game and win it for you. You can easily find 2 guys like that in the transfer portal

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SD UND said:

Sather should be fired immediately. They should hire a timeout guru and then they won’t lose another game the rest of the season.

They should also hire a subbing coordinator and a free throw expert. 
If there’s anything left in the budget they should hire a confidence advisor to make sure every player is confident.

problems solved 

How about we just hire a good coach that knows what he is doing and knows how to recruit.  We eliminate all the rest of those hires.  

8 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

How about we just hire a good coach that knows what he is doing and knows how to recruit.  We eliminate all the rest of those hires.  

We can't do that though because Sather is just too good of a guy! I'm so sick of hearing that excuse!! The dude is incapable of doing his JOB!! Which is to win basketball games. He gets his job correct less than 33% of the time and 20% of the time against other D1 teams!! After 3.5 years and he still has a job and the only defense is that he's a good guy. Give me a break!! This is beyond a disaster!!!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn our program around?

It starts with getting rid of Sather immediately! Let an assistant take over and see if we can win a few games and build up some momentum. Then you find a young coach that has some fire and some passion. Someone that young men can relate to and will want to listen to and play for. Get that coach hired asap after the season is over so that he has the whole off season to bring in some transfers and implement his coaching philosophy.

That is the only right way to go about turning this program around. It is in such a deep hole that it is going to be hard though. 

• Upvote 2

Wasn't sure if many people were having the same thoughts as me but looks like most do. Sather needs to go. I have watched most of the games this year and Sather has lost most of them himself. The starters he puts on the floor are questionable? His rotations/subs are just so screwed up I have no idea what he is thinking. Brady Danielson and Reid Grant should not see the floor at all in D1 basketball and are getting huge and good minutes. How are they both getting more or just as many minutes at Sueker and Norman??? Speaking of Sueker, what the heck happened to him? Played maybe a couple minutes last night. 

Remember they recruited Shockey also who is worse than Grant. I don't get it.  Look at the players that SDSU, ORU, NDSU have.  How can you possibly offer a scholarship to some of the kids we have?  They don't stand a chance of competing successfully.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Remember they recruited Shockey also who is worse than Grant. I don't get it.  Look at the players that SDSU, ORU, NDSU have.  How can you possibly offer a scholarship to some of the kids we have?  They don't stand a chance of competing successfully.  

At this point lets pull Hong's redshirt and throw him out there and see what he can do. If we're going to play 10 guys a night what does 1 more hurt??

• Like 2

I would think that any buyout of sather would have to be approved by Chaves boss

Here’s a question

if we switched the coaches for mens and womens basketball what would the records be for each team?

would the men have more wins?

would the women have more losses?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

Sather might be the worst coach ever for UND! I’m sorry it’s time to move on or cancel the program if you are happy finishing in last. I get it’s a young team but my goodness, he has zero creativity or at least has diminished from when he started, players have regressed, and struggles to keep players. I’M DONE! 

12 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Winning 20% of games against d1 opponents in the last 3 years. Let an assistant take over the rest of the year and see if he can find something. It’s a lost cause with Sather 

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But as long as we dominate the all-academic teams, it doesn't really matter. (extreme sarcasm) :silly: #SSDD

12 hours ago, Kab said:

Wasn’t Chaves let go at eastern Washington?

he must have been cheap for us to hire him 

11 hours ago, Kab said:

Not an apologist, I just don’t think Chaves will do it

nothing we can do about that

I'm dead serious when I say that anyone with concerns should be reaching out directly to the Athletic Director to voice them. People actually voicing their opinion to decision makers can make a difference. Time is made for donors to give their input. 

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

If UND loses to Denver on Saturday Sather should not be allowed back on the bus/plane, whatever they took. Get him a one way ticket back to South Dakota where he can continue to be a D2 coach and such a great guy that people forget how bad of a coach he is! He should be banned from UND's campus if they lose Saturday

Put down the bottle. This is absurd.

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

The thought was that we did that. The hire was lauded by pretty much everyone. It clearly hasn't turned out the way anyone had hoped.

• Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Kab said:

I would think that any buyout of sather would have to be approved by Chaves boss

Here’s a question

if we switched the coaches for mens and womens basketball what would the records be for each team?

would the men have more wins?

would the women have more losses?

That is tough to answer because men's and women's basketball is such a different game.

I'll say this, from what I've seen, Mallory is a MUCH better coach than Sather.

51 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Shockey is averaging 4 points per game at Quincy University

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I'm dead serious when I say that anyone with concerns should be reaching out directly to the Athletic Director to voice them. People actually voicing their opinion to decision makers can make a difference. Time is made for donors to give their input. 

The thought was that we did that. The hire was lauded by pretty much everyone. It clearly hasn't turned out the way anyone had hoped.

Chaves will reply with a PC non answer, ignore, or pawn the question off to someone else.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I never thought that from the beginning.  But our top 3 candidates that they announced none of them were impressive.  I especially didnt like hiring a middle aged guy from a division 2 school that historically always is on top.  

31 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Recruit better players 

Have better recruiters 

Build better facilities 

Provide more (legal) money to student-athletes 

Aren’t the players on the full ride for money?

only other thing is NIL which I don’t see the GF area doing that 

There isn’t one player from the portal who could make an immediate impact transferring to UND, it doesn’t matter who is coaching the team.  

There is zero NLI money available to entice anyone to UND.  

I do think they have some nice freshmen who look the part and have a decent skill set, but it will take another year before we see their growth and maturity make positive consistent play.  They have shown flashes but they are inexperienced and tend to make mistakes on both ends at the wrong time trying to do more.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, FightingSiouxHawks said:

There isn’t one player from the portal who could make an immediate impact transferring to UND, it doesn’t matter who is coaching the team.  

There is zero NLI money available to entice anyone to UND.  

I do think they have some nice freshmen who look the part and have a decent skill set, but it will take another year before we see their growth and maturity make positive consistent play.  They have shown flashes but they are inexperienced and tend to make mistakes on both ends at the wrong time trying to do more.  

Wait a minute… is that reason I hear knocking at the door?

You are 100% correct on this. Until UND and boosters pony up some serious NIL money, UND can’t even get in play with the transfers that you NEED.

wonder why ORU has kept Abmas and all their other guys, oh and bring in 2 power 5 transfers…. I’m sure it’s only because Paul mills is just a great coach, it would have nothing to do with anything else.

• Downvote 1